Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Colder temps are here, 34° this morning with a feel like of 28°. Dark now at 6:30 AM, I remember not too long ago I was riding at 5:30 AM. And it was light.
I usually like to ride early AM, and do about two hours, but with the darkness and needing to be back home around eight AM I’m refiguring my riding.
Lately I do two rides. One after lunch and that seems to be working out. Now with the cold weather coming I’m hoping to be able to finish out the year riding every day. So far so good. Yesterdays afternoon ride was on Clinton road, a great road for riding, few houses and nice scenery. It goes around the reservoir.
At one point on a curve, if you go straight, there is a trail to the waters edge where people swim and have campfires. This is where I rode this day.
Today I decided to road ride around Upper Greenwood Lake and check out the old entrance to Cascade Park.
It’s a real boulder garden for a while to get into the park, then it calms down to regular trails and roads.
Cascade is quite big and I can easily get lost here. Today was just to check the boulder garden,
and then continue my ride around the lake. Better temps too at 48°.
That’s it.
The reservoir, It's getting lower, years ago it was very low and I rode all through there, Now you can ride the edge, but it's mostly rocks.
Dsc09191.jpg

Cascade
Dsc09199.jpg

Dsc09200.jpg

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Well the cold weather is upon us (up North anyway). Been below freezing every day this week and there’s plenty of ice and frozen ground.
My tires are way too worn for this, front is OK, but rear is shot. I decided to go for the Strava “local legend” today on Laurel Pond down.
I just needed one more ride to get it. I also want to see if the other guy is going to ride in the ice, snow, and cold. Just something amusing for me.
The trail was tough, as expected with the ice and snow. I did good except on my decent through one of the the rough and rocky spots.
Things didn’t go as planned and down I went. No injuries, except my pride. The rest of the ride went fine.
Came home and mounted my new studded tires, it’s time.
the fail
Dsc09371.jpg

Dsc09370.jpg

Dsc09368.jpg

the answer
studded new.jpg

Kaleidopete

This is Rosco, he's been trying to chew me up for weeks now.
The owner has been training him to behave. Now Rosco sits on command.
On this morning Rosco was off leash for a change. As I rounded the bend I spotted them.
Rosco sat on the command, but his face and body started to twitch until he couldn't stand it any longer.
He knew he was off leash and just had to go for me. I never stopped, but felt him hit my leg, no teeth though.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
👑 Pete!

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏.

Kaleidopete

Been a pretty nice winter so far, I’ve been able to get a ride in every day so far.
I usually like to get out early in the morning to ride and like to do between a hour and a half and two hours.
In fact it’s usually around six or six thirty AM and still dark out. I start out with my lights on and around six forty five
I can shut them off as the sun is coming up. I ride early like this because of other obligations in life and health issues.
My energy level drops as the day goes on.
So, anyway, as I’m coming off a short trail and across the road yesterday I spot a deer leg along the road,
a rear leg from hip to hoof. Wow, I stop to snap a photo, I’m surprised whatever killed this deer left this leg,
with plenty of meat on it. There’s no traffic in the park at this hour, around six thirty AM, because the gates are locked.
That’s another reason I like early AM, no traffic. So I continue on my planned route, about a half mile more in and then back
and I loop back across this spot. After that short loop when I get back to the severed leg spot I see it’s gone now.
I figure I must have scared off what ever killed this deer when I first came upon it and now it returned to claim that tasty leg.
Makes me wonder what killed it in the first place, maybe a pack of coyote, or something bigger and worse.
Made me think of the shirt I got last year at a event here in the park. Ha, ha.

Dsc09651.jpg

Dsc09661.jpg

Kaleidopete

I did a nice ride from home today, I get right on the trails less than a quarter mile from home.
I figured about ten miles round trip. Banker trail was in great shape, someone has been trimming the laurels along the trail
and there are new markers up along the trail, so I just have to assume it’s the Trail Conference marking and trimming.
Someone also cut out the tree across the trail, thanks whoever. I don’t think Trail conference did that.
My loop was to do Old Cole trail and check out some side trails, Old Coal is in pretty good condition which is unusual,
it’s usually got mud and water. I side trail I took to Lookout Lake, I’ve been there before a few times.
I hiked with Jeff once, he used to work for Fred Ferber who owned a lot of the land, I remember Jeff told me how he build
the dam at Lookover years ago. Mt Garmin annoys me, as I’m riding near Pickle trail Garmin displays a name I’m familiar with
along with the name of the trail named Pickle 400 feet ahead. Why the hell does it tell me someone’s name (Robert H) as I approach? Oh well.
It was a great ride though, except one spot when a stick moved my chain from 2nd gear to 12th gear.
I was thinking I’m five miles out. Hope I don’t have to walk back. Everything was OK, whew!
Saw two hikers on the trail, unusual, but then again, it’s Sunday and people get out on the weekends.
Mostly all woods ride, about a mile road. I really ripped it up on the E=bike, just over two hours and just under
ten miles at a blistering average speed of 4.8 mph. ! Ha. Somehow I don’t feel I was destroying any trails with the E- bike.
Banker trail
Dsc09750.jpg

Along Cherry Ridge trail
Dsc09751.jpg

Dsc09754.jpg

the dam Jeff built in the 1960's
Dsc09755.jpg

one tree across Old Coal
Dsc09756.jpg

hikers
hike.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

I did a nice ride this afternoon that I’ve been wanting to do for a while. I call it riding the Ghost trails of Wawayanda.
Those are the trails in Wawayanda that have had their names killed off and replaced with new names.
This was done mostly to satisfy hikers that complain they get lost trying to remember the names of the trails that go around lake Wawayanda,
even though the park supplies a free map of the trails. So the trails that got killed were Little Bear, renamed Lake Loop, the same for Sitting Bear,
renamed to Lake Loop. Part of South End trail, the same thing, the other part of South End is just dead period. The same for Pumphouse trail,
renamed to….yes..Lake Loop. Now the hikers won’t get lost trying to remember four different names. Other changes are, they made a shortcut from
Sitting Bear to South end, eliminating a slightly longer loop that did the same thing. They now call the old western end of Sitting Bear that joined
Laurel Pond trail, Lake Loop Connector. And Pumphouse trail at the south western end that connected to Cherry Ridge, is now called the Pumphouse Connector.
I don’t think Trailforks has caught up with these changes though.
It was really a challenging ride for me today, very tough trails, but I’m glad I did it, and I know I won’t be doing it again.
Exactly seven miles and exactly two hours. I did take a short break though to remove my long johns and one layer of shirt, and guzzle my water bottle.

Sitting Bear
Dsc09941.jpg

South End
Dsc09943.jpg

da pipe for Pumphouse
Dsc09944.jpg

sundaydoug

I did a nice ride this afternoon that I’ve been wanting to do for a while. I call it riding the Ghost trails of Wawayanda.
Those are the trails in Wawayanda that have had their names killed off and replaced with new names.
This was done mostly to satisfy hikers that complain they get lost trying to remember the names of the trails that go around lake Wawayanda,
even though the park supplies a free map of the trails. So the trails that got killed were Little Bear, renamed Lake Loop, the same for Sitting Bear,
renamed to Lake Loop. Part of South End trail, the same thing, the other part of South End is just dead period. The same for Pumphouse trail,
renamed to….yes..Lake Loop. Now the hikers won’t get lost trying to remember four different names. Other changes are, they made a shortcut from
Sitting Bear to South end, eliminating a slightly longer loop that did the same thing. They now call the old western end of Sitting Bear that joined
Laurel Pond trail, Lake Loop Connector. And Pumphouse trail at the south western end that connected to Cherry Ridge, is now called the Pumphouse Connector.
It was really a challenging ride for me today, very tough trails, but I’m glad I did it, and I know I won’t be doing it again.
Exactly seven miles and exactly two hours. I did take a short break though to remove my long johns and one layer of shirt, and guzzle my water bottle.

Sitting Bear
View attachment 210521
South End
View attachment 210522
da pipe for Pumphouse
View attachment 210523
I know exactly where that spot on Sitting Bear is. That spot is tricky! Great trail though, haven't ridden that one in a while.

Kaleidopete

I also rode the very little used trail called Pumphouse Spur. It's an easy trail down to the lake with a great view.
A pretty weird spot, there are old rusted cables and big pipes from the pumphouse I guess. Makes me wonder what went on here.

That's the beach way off in the distance
Dsc09947.jpg

Dsc09950 - Copy.jpg

Dsc09945.jpg

Dsc09949.jpg

johnbryanpeters

Sitting Bear
View attachment 210521
South End
View attachment 210522
da pipe for Pumphouse
View attachment 210523
I only rode it once, did thirty miles, which led me to join JORBA, and indirectly, the alliance between JORBA and VMBA. I hope to get back this year.

Kaleidopete

So the electronics in my life are revolting against me! The computer has been acting up, first thing in the morning it works fine. (online).
Go for my ride come back enter my info into Strava, working fine. Upload photos, uh-oh, not working, loading, loading, loading.
Check my email in the meantime, nothing special, go back to Strava, still no good. Load MTBNJ, says “no internet connection”.
Check my network internet access and it says connected to internet. Check email program again, working fine. What da. Reboot computer.
Sometimes it fixes everything, sometimes not. When not, I go away and do other stuff for 2 or 3 hours, come back and everything working fine.
This sucks, happing more often lately, like every couple days, but once it fixes itself it‘s good the whole rest of the day When it‘s bad, both Google
and MS Edge say the same thing, not connected..
Start my car and the radio is on ! I haven’t used the radio in 2 years, now it comes on every time I start the car. Another start up thing,
the display screen asks if I want to connect to my wi-fi, I say fine, I had it set to do that already. Now every time I start the car it asks again.
Now to happy stuff, I was out riding / trimming some trails this morning and some early morning trail runners came up behind me, saw what
I was doing and said “thanks to the mountain bikers we have some nice trails to run on, thanks!” That’s always nice to hear.

snipped a path
Dsc00070.jpg

Top Bottom