Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

My Old Mine Road adventure today was just that!
My plan was to drive to Peter’s Valley and get on Old Mine Rd. heading towards Millbrook Village in the Hardwick area.
I arrived nice and early about five AM. I parked on the street and then saw the sign for a parking lot, so I moved the car.
Saw the Old Mine Road and headed out. A nice deserted paved road winding and hills through the vast wooded area.
I came upon an old cemetery and stopped for a photo.
Dsc08552.jpg

Continuing on there were lots of small trails heading into the woods
making me wonder where da hell they go. Past the Westbrook Bell site, the oldest standing house in Sussex County.
Dsc08558.jpg

Dsc08554.jpg

Then past the Old Mine Road sign which says the road was built around 1650. Holy crap, wonder what the area looked like back then!
Dsc08557.jpg

Then past the Namanock recreation site, camping and boating along the Delaware. Boy I was having a great time,
Dsc08553 - Copy.jpg

I actually thought if I don’t see anymore, I still got my money’s worth! Now the surprise, my road ended and came out on RT 650. What da hell?
Dsc08560.jpg

I asked three people if they knew the way to Millbrook, nada. Nobody knows what I’m talking about.
That’s because I went the wrong way from the start! I headed North and not South like I planned. Dumb ass!
I didn’t find this out until I got home and checked my Strava track. I never was any good on directions or knowing where I’m going,
but this is ridiculous.

Dsc08561.jpg

I even ventured in on a cool single track off the main road, but knowing my limitations I quickly retreated after the trail forks,
I still had a great adventure, just not the one I planned.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Something new for me, a hike today. Ten years ago, before bicycling, I used to hike five miles a day, every day,
Then I had an Achilles problem, and Sciatic problem, and two back surgeries, and Rotator surgeries, so my hiking went away,
But I took up bicycling which I was able to do with no aches and pains. Great. Anyway, I still long for hiking and today
seemed perfect for a go at it. I hiked the Buckabear trail years ago and it’s one of my favorites. Very short though.
Like one and a half miles out and back. Off I went with my hiking poles in hand. Without this great invention I could never do it.
My lower back cramps up just working around the yard for five minutes, but these poles are a miracle, like four wheel drive.
I did the whole out and back and worked up a good sweat. Amazing the trail is exactly the same as ten years ago,
except now it has great marking that it never had before.

Capture2.JPG

steep in places
Dsc08635.jpg

side trail to the pond
Dsc08636.jpg

Looks rideable, but not when you're there
Dsc08640.jpg

This used to be the trail that crossed the stream, not no more, the Beavers saw to that, now there is no way across.
Dsc08641.jpg

But...though the Red trail officially ends it joins the White trail for more hiking, still can't cross the stream though.
Dsc08643.jpg

Buckabear Pond looking North
Dsc08642.jpg

Kaleidopete

That is a really cool area for hiking.

It's mostly rideable :p

I got about about a third of the way across once and then turned back.
I thought of you after I typed that, I mean I couldn't ride it. Ha.
Across the river is also cool, I was riding there once and got lost.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Across the river is also cool, I was riding there once and got lost.

Yeah I've ridden that yellow trail on the other side a few times. It's fun, but there's a pretty good amount of hike a bike for me. Bunch of atv trails too, so easy to get lost.

Kaleidopete

I went out for a second short ride today, needed 5.15 miles to make 100 for the week.
Stayed local and decided to try for the yellow trail again. I did better this time and
crossed the power line right onto the yellow trail. It's a short trip to the parking area
by Wildcat park and Old Coal trail. The yellow is definitely a J Nagy type trail. I won't
do it again, but I'm glad I did it today. Does that make ant sense? I took the road back home.

Just noticed this info on Strava today
Capture2.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Just made it
Capture3.JPG

this is a joke. look at these times, compared to mine.
Capture.JPG

Terrace pond P701.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

I've ridden the yellow trail from over by Stephens Rd down to that awesome sign at the P7 trailhead. It has some killer gnar and is pretty fantastic. I've never ridden that section from up by your neighborhood though, I'll have to check it out sometime soon.
That's a strange part of the park, Trailforks says it's Watershed property, but all the maps say it's Wawayanda property almost all the way to Steven's road. Even across Clinton road is Wawayanda all the way down to and including Bearfort, where it then is Warershed. I wonder who on Trailforks decided to call parts of Wawayanda Watershed. Maybe that was easier to call it that than explain that it is Wawayanda, but they really don't want you there with a bicycle. :popo:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's a strange part of the park, Trailforks says it's Watershed property, but all the maps say it's Wawayanda property almost all the way to Steven's road.

Yeah, I don't know where the exact boundary is, but it seems like basically everything on that side of Stephens Rd is Wawayanda, but it's still no bikes regardless. Not that it says that anywhere.

liong71er

That's a strange part of the park, Trailforks says it's Watershed property, but all the maps say it's Wawayanda property almost all the way to Steven's road. Even across Clinton road is Wawayanda all the way down to and including Bearfort, where it then is Warershed. I wonder who on Trailforks decided to call parts of Wawayanda Watershed. Maybe that was easier to call it that than explain that it is Wawayanda, but they really don't want you there with a bicycle. :popo:
i rode that part,from Clinton Rd to get into Wawa,it is certainly feel kinda eerie feeling when i rode passing it,,that was like 14yrs ago before Strava.

Kaleidopete

So I felt like a second ride today and decided to try the reservoir with this draught and all.
I rode it about seven years ago during a draught and it was a blast! I got there only to find high water,
no draught here. They must control the water table for this. Anyway, as I get closer to the waters edge
I see a naked man it the process of drying off. I just rode past him and said “don’t worry pal, it doesn’t bother me, keep goin’”.
I got to the waters edge for a photo of the lakes edge, and turned to snap the man, now with pants on, so I didn’t have to edit the photo.
Next I thought I’ll hit some of those JimN trails near here. I got on Blue trail thinking I knew where it would take me,
but I gave up when I saw it was going left and I wanted to go right. I had just pushed and walked enough in this 90° heat.
Headed back to the road. Off to the next trail, Yellow I think it was, this was more like it, I could roll along pretty good and
had a cool breeze off the lake. I figured it couldn’t last, started getting rocky and some trees to get over, and then
the tree that would say Turn around now. Back to the road I go, taking a slightly different path.
Had a great ride in spite of the heat, just not the ride I had originally planned.

This was my ride seven years ago, fun
Clinton Resv12.jpg

Todays lake edge
Dsc08865.jpg

da naked swimmer
Dsc08866.jpg

Huh?
Dsc08867.jpg

I give up trail
Dsc08868.jpg

more fun trail
Dsc08870.jpg

time to turn around before it gets worse
Dsc08872.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

So my morning ride gave me 99.8 miles for the week, so I knew I had to ride again just to make 100 at least.
Went to the motorcycle swap meet in Pine Island, NY. It’s always a nice ride on country roads,
and I’m always amazed at the friendliness of everyone along the way. On coming cars wave to me
and people on their porches give a friendly wave, not like NJ. These locals are very friendly.
I avoid the main road because now it’s apple pickers from the cities coming around and it’s deadly on the roads.
Back roads is what I ride. Saw what I think was an ostrich on a farm. It rained on and off for my fourteen mile round trip ride,
but it was refreshing. A pint of beer was $5 as opposed to yesterday’s $13 Guinness at Grasshopper bar.
Saw lots of people I know at the swap meet and had a great ride. Didn’t stay long because of other obligations,
but it was lots of fun.
along the road
Dsc08942.jpg

what da hell is that?
Dsc08943.jpg

swap meet
Dsc08946.jpg

Dsc08945.jpg

Dsc08944.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So my morning ride gave me 99.8 miles for the week, so I knew I had to ride again just to make 100 at least.
Went to the motorcycle swap meet in Pine Island, NY. It’s always a nice ride on country roads,
and I’m always amazed at the friendliness of everyone along the way. On coming cars wave to me
and people on their porches give a friendly wave, not like NJ. These locals are very friendly.
I avoid the main road because now it’s apple pickers from the cities coming around and it’s deadly on the roads.
Back roads is what I ride. Saw what I think was an ostrich on a farm. It rained on and off for my fourteen mile round trip ride,
but it was refreshing. A pint of beer was $5 as opposed to yesterday’s $13 Guinness at Grasshopper bar.
Saw lots of people I know at the swap meet and had a great ride. Didn’t stay long because of other obligations,
but it was lots of fun.
along the road
View attachment 195952

what da hell is that?
View attachment 195953

Emu.

Kaleidopete

Had a nice ride this morning, hit some trails and visited the Ragnar foot race compound, quite a set up.
This afternoon I decided to return to Ragnar and visit their Beer Garden, it’s a highlight every year.
Got to the park and there was another biker unloading his bike for a ride. He said he was new here, so I said I had a map,
but he replied he has his phone with a map. Good, Not knowing what he likes in trails,
I said Hoeferlin is right here and continues across the street. He decided to go Hoeferlin to Iron Mountain,
I said good, Now off to Ragnar for a beer. The Beer tent is empty! It’s 11:30 AM, sign says open at 11AM.
Next to the Beer Garden is another beer tent. Athletic Brewing Co. non alcoholic beer.
She said it’s too cold and so they didn’t open on time. I went for the dark non alcoholic beer from this tent.
Not bad, good tasting without the buzz. Free beer too! Oh well, I’ll be back. I rode around a little checking out any interesting cars,
not many here. Said Hi to Dave S. he’s on a running team. Came back to the Beer Garden that was just opening.
He said Hi, back again this year? Yup, I says. Yer late, and yer getting later every year!
And what’s with the sign, “no beer beyond this point”! Yer getting too many rules. Had my Sam Adams and chatted a while and rode off.
As I’m heading back , a biker crosses in front of me on Iron Mt. trail, so I jump on his wheel,
it’s the guy I met earlier in the lot. Wow, he is good, especially on the down hills, really bombing out of sight.
I catch up and ask how’s the trails? Uh Oh, it’s Not the guy I met earlier. Oh well, I follow for a while and pass him,
and wait up ahead at a cross trail. Asked him if he knew this trail and he said yes. I explained how I thought he was someone else.
No problem. So we chatted a bit and I chased him down the crossover trail and bid him farewell. A pretty good day.

Dsc09049.jpg

free beer
Dsc09050.jpg

Dsc09052.jpg
Dsc09053.jpg

a interesting ride
Dsc09056.jpg

and another
Dsc09057.jpg

free coffee too
Dsc09058.jpg

finally
Dsc09059.jpg

the mistaken rider (also named Pete)
Dsc09060.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Had a nice ride this morning, hit some trails and visited the Ragnar foot race compound, quite a set up.
This afternoon I decided to return to Ragnar and visit their Beer Garden, it’s a highlight every year.
Got to the park and there was another biker unloading his bike for a ride. He said he was new here, so I said I had a map,
but he replied he has his phone with a map. Good, Not knowing what he likes in trails,
I said Hoeferlin is right here and continues across the street. He decided to go Hoeferlin to Iron Mountain,
I said good, Now off to Ragnar for a beer. The Beer tent is empty! It’s 11:30 AM, sign says open at 11AM.
Next to the Beer Garden is another beer tent. Athletic Brewing Co. non alcoholic beer.
She said it’s too cold and so they didn’t open on time. I went for the dark non alcoholic beer from this tent.
Not bad, good tasting without the buzz. Free beer too! Oh well, I’ll be back. I rode around a little checking out any interesting cars,
not many here. Said Hi to Dave S. he’s on a running team. Came back to the Beer Garden that was just opening.
He said Hi, back again this year? Yup, I says. Yer late, and yer getting later every year!
And what’s with the sign, “no beer beyond this point”! Yer getting too many rules. Had my Sam Adams and chatted a while and rode off.
As I’m heading back , a biker crosses in front of me on Iron Mt. trail, so I jump on his wheel,
it’s the guy I met earlier in the lot. Wow, he is good, especially on the down hills, really bombing out of sight.
I catch up and ask how’s the trails? Uh Oh, it’s Not the guy I met earlier. Oh well, I follow for a while and pass him,
and wait up ahead at a cross trail. Asked him if he knew this trail and he said yes. I explained how I thought he was someone else.
No problem. So we chatted a bit and I chased him down the crossover trail and bid him farewell. A pretty good day.

View attachment 197330
free beer
View attachment 197331

View attachment 197332View attachment 197333
a interesting ride
View attachment 197334
and another
View attachment 197335
free coffee too
View attachment 197336
finally
View attachment 197337
the mistaken rider (also named Pete)
View attachment 197338
Dave was a last minute replacement. I was going to let you know!

Kaleidopete

Went out checking my local trail conditions.
They're all good to go, except one "Old Trail" that hasn't been kept up because there are other trails in the area that are all clear and maintained.
I remember riding this "Old Trail" back in 1970 long before the new trails were created. These new trails are great, and lots of work has gone into them.
I just have a liking for the Old Trail too though. Hate to see it disappear. I guess it's not very exciting compared to the new trails though.
Maybe if I get ambitious I'll work on 'it, just for me. Someone did some great work on the end of Banker trail where it crosses a stream.
This has always been a disaster, especially in the wet season. Now someone has laid stones down and made it crossable,
except for the huge rock that's right in the way. I don't know how that happened.

Banker trail
Dsc09097.jpg

nice stone work
Dsc09096.jpg

another local trail
Dsc09099.jpg

A good section of the "Old Trail"
Dsc09100.jpg

blowdowns, this is only one section, there's more
Dsc09103.jpg

Top Bottom