Ramblings from Moe Mountain

I thought yesterday was going to be my last bike ride for quite a while. My Sciatic starting acting up Saturday and I thought exercise was the answer, but it wasn’t. I rode Sunday and then Sunday night my back was really bad. Right into Monday morning. I had this about ten years ago and had to have back surgery to correct it. Now the other side seems to be acting up. For those that haven’t had back / Sciatic pain this is how it goes. Lying in bed, just thinking about moving gives a stabbing back pain. Can’t even lift the leg up off the bed and can’t roll over. So moving at all is out of the question. Urinal bottle to the rescue. This lasted for about thirty six hours. I started getting relief from my Oster massager, which I started on my right side leg muscle top of thigh and worked around to the back. Two hours at a time. I should mention, usually Sciatic pain runs down the back of the leg, but mine is down the top front. I noticed this starting last week and wrote it off as just overdoing the ride a little. So after the thirty six hours of getting over it I remembered a friend gave me two Oxycodone years ago. I went for it (1). And it helped immensely.
I really thought there was no help without doctoring, but it’s starting to come around. Even reading up on it they say it can start getting better on it’s own, which seems to be happening now in my case. So now it’s two days later and I’m feeling a lot better, still moving slowly, but with much less pain. I even got in a short ride this afternoon, about half hour and six miles. Slow and easy for a while now, I don’t want to overdo anything. The answer is Don’t get old! 😊

Nice ride today for my 365th consecutive day riding. I wasn't sure I was going to make it with my Sciatic back pain,
but it seems to be getting better.
Dsc07979.jpg
Dsc07980.jpg
Dsc07981.jpg
year.jpg

It’s been a really rainy spring season so far. I’m still out riding every day and trying to find the best gear to stay dry.
Here is what I’m using and my reviews. From the bottom up.
I use Showers pass boot covers. They run true to size and work pretty well. They zip up the back and come up pretty high which is nice.
They’re light weight too. The sole is rather thin and can’t really be used for walking without wearing through, which isn’t as bad as it sounds,
because the upper part still protects very well from rain. So what if they get a little wet on the sole of your shoes, the shoes themselves stay dry. Cost about $40

Next up is pants, I have Gore C5 waterproof active trail pants and they work really well. Thin and light, with a small inner pocket for my key fob. $140 / 190

Next my jacket, I have two, Showers Pass Elite 2.1, very well thought out with a chest pocket, Velcro straps at the wrists and neck.
Breathable vents. Sometimes I’m not so sure about the waterproofness, sometimes it seems “damp” inside, but not wet, lets say I’m very happy with it.
$ 260/300. The other jacket is a Gore C5 gore-tex shakedry 1985. This is a very light and thin waterproof jacket.
More for summer or over a warm shirt. This too will keep you dry, really works well, but not cheap at $ 200/300.

I always like to wear a Balaclava under my helmet too, just feels good to me. I like the Merino wool.
To top things off I like to wear my full goggles which I only use in the hardest downpour.
Otherwise in a regular to light rain they sit on the brim of my helmet which works great to keep the rain out of my eyes,
must be something with wind draft or something, but it works for me.
This is basically my rainy weather set up that keeps me dry and happy.
The biggest challenge I find are the gloves/ mittens. I’ve had two or three pairs that claim to be waterproof, but fail.
Showers Pass Crosspoint waterproof knit wool gloves, Merino wool lined. $50. These worked the best of any, but still are wet inside.
I also have winter mittens that claim to be waterproof, but aren’t. They are for a while, until they soak through.
They’re Outdoor Research Lucient mittens. My other problem is a Latex allergy so rubber is out for me.

After 110 minutes riding in rain I'm still dry, except for the hands, still working on that.
Pete wet 90.jpg

Great riding today. I went out at 6AM and saw them setting up for an event in Wawayanda. Runners and bikes.
Then it was off to the Blacksmith demonstration at Long Pond Iron Works, a nice road ride of about eight miles.
Not much going on when I got there. So I decided to go visit Tranquility Ridge trail system just up the road.
I’ve been there years before. Then I got inspired to ride the Hansencleaver trail back into the Iron Works area.
I did it years and it seemed a lot harder today. Not really a maintained trail, which I like a lot, kinda raw.
Mud holes, stream crossings, rocky uphill singletrack. The trail comes back to where the blacksmithing is going on.
It crosses over the new bridge that I helped build years ago, I haven’t been back there since then.
It was quite a great adventure today. Breaking some rules today, I’m not supposed to be in the park with a bike,
can’t cross the bridge, simple things like that. It was early and I never saw anyone anyway.
On the way back home I stopped at Jessie’s for a beer and sandwich.
hen moved on for another two miles and stopped to hydrate at the motorcycle shop with another beer,
then the big climb up the mountain home for a rest. Great day out.

Just setting up
Dsc08190.jpg

the new bridge
Dsc08195.jpg

Hansencleaver trail
Dsc08197.jpg

bridge from the other side
Dsc08198.jpg

more trail
Dsc08203.jpg

nice signs along the trail
Dsc08205.jpg

demo
Dsc08206.jpg

lunch break
Dsc08209.jpg

almost home
Dsc08210.jpg

I wanted to try the trails More Blue and Old Blue today. They're not very popular trails, or I should say woods road.
They are still in Wawayanda park at the end of the Pumphouse access trail. Both trails are out and back according to
Trailforks. More Blue intersects with Old Blue, and Old Blue goes right to the Appellation Trail. I was really hoping to
do these trails today, but I had to quit and ride (walk) back out. There was a LOT of hike a bike for me here. Big mud holes,
deep ruts, steep and short climbs, LOTS of rocks. I think More Blue is only 1.6 miles and I could only do just over half of that.
From there I returned to the Pumphouse access trail that goes right to Pumphouse trail. This was a real mess too, because of the
large mud holes and stream crossing. Kind of hard to follow too, even with Trailforks map on Garmin. Two wrong turns was all I
had and found my way pretty quickly. Fun exploring this stuff though. I've ridden the access before, a few times and only attempted
More Blue once before. I totally forgot how tough More Blue was. Now I need new arms and legs!
Capture.JPG

More Blue doesn't look bad in this photo
Dsc08276.jpg

my one crash
Dsc08278.jpg

someone must have lived here once
Dsc08279.jpg

Pumphouse access, one of the many mud holes
Dsc08281.jpg

Some days are more challenging than others. 6:30 AM the grouchy bear was on my trail.
Ok, I escaped unscathed.
Now I wanted to ride some very local trails that I usually don’t ride, but got inspired by
Another riders Strava report. So I look at Trailforks and see the trail I want, great. I have
The latest map file on my Garmin 530, so off I go. I already know where the trail head is
So in I go. No trail showing on Garmin WTF! No BIG deal, I kinda know where to go
(I think). It’s short, no more than a mile. Pisses me off though it isn’t showing on Garmin.
I am very bad at knowing where I am! Next thing I find I got turned around, without turning
Around and I’m back to a spot before I started. Ok, give up on that idea. I get home and sure
Enough my ride on Strava shows where I went wrong. I couldn’t see it at the time though.
Trailfroks on my computer shows the trail perfectly, it even says I can send that trail to my
Garmin. After an hour trying to figure out how to do it I give up. Time to stop this aggravating
Day and have a beer, before I smash my computer and drive over my Garmin,

shooda.JPG

It’s been nice and hot and dry so far this month and I’m really enjoying it. Lots of bear activity lately in the park, some scare me but mostly I scare them. I’ve got over 2000 miles ridden so far this year which about average for me. I’ve been on the trails and on the road lately too. Trails beat me up and road smoothes me out. The bike has been great, no break downs or flats. Been wearing my carpel tunnel brace lately, it’s been acting up giving me shooting electric shocks down through the hand. I also got a rotator shoulder support which helps my tore up muscles, and a knee support for my bad knee. God, I‘m falling apart! My riding experiences have been amazing! I usually don’t have a plan when I start out, I figure it as I go. Like today, I had one goal, ride gate to gate for a change. Up to that point I just rode and then came upon a small tree across Wingdam trail. Got the saw out and took care of that. The unplanned TM. On the way back I saw Br’er Bear scooting off the trail ahead, heard me coming I guess. That reminds me, a few days ago I was picking up bottles and cans off my favorite trails and had them in a bag over my handlebars. Up ahead I see THE HUGE Iron Mountain bear, the one that never moves for anyone, except for today, with all my cans and bottles jingling it didn’t know what the hell was coming, so it took off running. Ha. I had a little exploring adventure for the Marian drive access trail into the park this week too. I rode this once a while ago from the park out, but never took it into the park. I had a written list of roads to take to get there, but forgot to bring it, so I winged it from memory. Found it just fine and rode it in. It’s a quad trail, but tough in spots with quick short up hills and rocks and roots. I still did good on it and it was a nice little adventure. It’s been so dry lately I even hit Double Pond trail out to Plymouth, which is always mud and wet, but even though still a little muddy I rode right through it fine. The bugs have been pretty bad lately but a light hoody shirt wards them off. That’s it for now. Happy Trails!

Doublepond boardwalk over grown
Doub pond522.jpg

Bear whistle
Dsc08482.jpg

Overgrown trails
Dsc08504.jpg

Marian dr access
Marian dr assess01.jpg

more Marian dr trail
Marian dr assess03.jpg

wingdam tree
wingdam tre04.jpg

It’s been nice and hot and dry so far this month and I’m really enjoying it. Lots of bear activity lately in the park, some scare me but mostly I scare them. I’ve got over 2000 miles ridden so far this year which about average for me. I’ve been on the trails and on the road lately too. Trails beat me up and road smoothes me out. The bike has been great, no break downs or flats. Been wearing my carpel tunnel brace lately, it’s been acting up giving me shooting electric shocks down through the hand. I also got a rotator shoulder support which helps my tore up muscles, and a knee support for my bad knee. God, I‘m falling apart! My riding experiences have been amazing! I usually don’t have a plan when I start out, I figure it as I go. Like today, I had one goal, ride gate to gate for a change. Up to that point I just rode and then came upon a small tree across Wingdam trail. Got the saw out and took care of that. The unplanned TM. On the way back I saw Br’er Bear scooting off the trail ahead, heard me coming I guess. That reminds me, a few days ago I was picking up bottles and cans off my favorite trails and had them in a bag over my handlebars. Up ahead I see THE HUGE Iron Mountain bear, the one that never moves for anyone, except for today, with all my cans and bottles jingling it didn’t know what the hell was coming, so it took off running. Ha. I had a little exploring adventure for the Marian drive access trail into the park this week too. I rode this once a while ago from the park out, but never took it into the park. I had a written list of roads to take to get there, but forgot to bring it, so I winged it from memory. Found it just fine and rode it in. It’s a quad trail, but tough in spots with quick short up hills and rocks and roots. I still did good on it and it was a nice little adventure. It’s been so dry lately I even hit Double Pond trail out to Plymouth, which is always mud and wet, but even though still a little muddy I rode right through it fine. The bugs have been pretty bad lately but a light hoody shirt wards them off. That’s it for now. Happy Trails!

View attachment 189802

Bear whistle
View attachment 189803

Overgrown trails
View attachment 189804

Marian dr access
View attachment 189805

more Marian dr trail
View attachment 189806

wingdam tree
View attachment 189807
liked for "beer whistle"

View attachment 189802

Bear whistle
View attachment 189803

Overgrown trails
View attachment 189804

Marian dr access
View attachment 189805

more Marian dr trail
View attachment 189806

wingdam tree
View attachment 189807

Where is that marijuana field in the third pic that you labeled "overgrown trails"??

Hey Pete - Thanks for swinging through to say hello!

I left a couple signs for you - in other words, it was about 9:30 and my headlamp wasn't in my truck,
so I wasn't walking from the bridge behind the furnace up past wingdam (one sign there) to the
rock plate with the false trail off to the right (3 there)
So dark it kinda freaked me out.
Esp with wingdam bear, and the two skunks.
Also saw a mink or ferret, or whatever we have here that looks like that.

TY as always.

Hey Pete - Thanks for swinging through to say hello!

I left a couple signs for you - in other words, it was about 9:30 and my headlamp wasn't in my truck,
so I wasn't walking from the bridge behind the furnace up past wingdam (one sign there) to the
rock plate with the false trail off to the right (3 there)
So dark it kinda freaked me out.
Esp with wingdam bear, and the two skunks.
Also saw a mink or ferret, or whatever we have here that looks like that.

TY as always.
Dsc08347.jpg
Dsc08542.jpg

Back
Top Bottom