Ramblings from Moe Mountain

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, kind of wide, but still interesting with climbs and dips and rocksand streams.

Yeah, there's a bunch of cool stuff all around that area that I haven't gotten to explore yet. If it looks like the rain is going to hold off long enough tomorrow, and if I wake up early enough, I might go do something stupid tomorrow :)

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
clearing larger downfall off trail........since you have the saw, find or cut a 6 foot length of 3-4in diameter log that you can use as a pry bar.

exploring, consider getting a "spot" and letting one of the local riders setup tracking on their computer.

Kaleidopete

Yeah, there's a bunch of cool stuff all around that area that I haven't gotten to explore yet. If it looks like the rain is going to hold off long enough tomorrow, and if I wake up early enough, I might go do something stupid tomorrow :)
Did you ever use Strava "heat map" it's pretty cool, you can see where others have ventured. Here is a sample of yesterdays ride with 2 map programs.
Buckabear.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did you ever use Strava "heat map" it's pretty cool, you can see where others have ventured.

Yeah, that comes in handy sometimes for finding stuff that's not on the map, or to see if anyone has ever tried to ride something. I typically try to find an actual Strava activity, or just wing it with the map though.

Kaleidopete

Wow! It's June already!
The first of June sure didn't feel like it though, 42° ride in the early morning.
I've still been able to ride every day so far this year, it kinda starts my day out right.
I haven't been killin' it, just plugging along. 260 hours and 1650 miles this year.
Now with summer it's work time, lawn mowing, trimming, basic cleanup.
Some recent photos:
There's always tree work needed in Wawayanda.
Dsc04456.jpg

the beach is always fun
Dsc04460.jpg

more tree work
Dsc04469.jpg

some muddy spots
Dsc04470.jpg

a very small snake
Dsc04472.jpg

some great flowers
Dsc04474.jpg

and of coarse there are plenty of bear wandering around.
Dsc04382.jpg

That's it, it seems every day has something new to enjoy.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Great pics! Fun fact - that tiny ringneck snake is mildly venomous - wouldn't do anything to us if bitten but strong enough to slow down their prey.

Kaleidopete

6/14/20
I decided to ride some of the Paulinskill trail today. I am so bad on directions, even with Garmin and the park map I wasn’t sure I got it right until a few miles in. OK, I got this, I’m doing good. I know rail trails are kinda boring, but when it’s new I find it kinda fun. I headed from Lafayette towards Blairstown. Lots of interesting things to see along the way, and I was surprised to have the usual double track get down to narrow single track in places. Lots of people out, even at 8AM. Mostly walkers. There were some cool single track trails built to climb some rock hills, they are only maybe 100 feet and run right along the trail. Kinda like a challenging go around. About 8 miles in I came to what seamed like the end for me. A huge unrideable drop of about 40 feet. Loose steep dirt. I turned around and headed back, about 50 feet back there was a walker. I asked is this small trail a go around for that huge drop, he said yes. So I was back in business and took that trail. You would think there would be an arrow or marker there. The trail became more farm land like, with horses and nice scenery. I went through Stillwater town and a little further. My whole ride was just under 30 miles, but I had enough. I’ll have to do this trail in stages, and go back to where I left off and keep riding through Blairstown, someday.

ride up and around
Paulinskill june05.jpg

da drop, I know, you'd ride it, but not me
Paulinskill june06.jpg

Paulinskill june08.jpg

Paulinskill june10.jpg

nobody home
Paulinskill june11.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
6/14/20
I decided to ride some of the Paulinskill trail today. I am so bad on directions, even with Garmin and the park map I wasn’t sure I got it right until a few miles in. OK, I got this, I’m doing good. I know rail trails are kinda boring, but when it’s new I find it kinda fun. I headed from Lafayette towards Blairstown. Lots of interesting things to see along the way, and I was surprised to have the usual double track get down to narrow single track in places. Lots of people out, even at 8AM. Mostly walkers. There were some cool single track trails built to climb some rock hills, they are only maybe 100 feet and run right along the trail. Kinda like a challenging go around. About 8 miles in I came to what seamed like the end for me. A huge unrideable drop of about 40 feet. Loose steep dirt. I turned around and headed back, about 50 feet back there was a walker. I asked is this small trail a go around for that huge drop, he said yes. So I was back in business and took that trail. You would think there would be an arrow or marker there. The trail became more farm land like, with horses and nice scenery. I went through Stillwater town and a little further. My whole ride was just under 30 miles, but I had enough. I’ll have to do this trail in stages, and go back to where I left off and keep riding through Blairstown, someday.

ride up and around
View attachment 131712

da drop, I know, you'd ride it, but not me
View attachment 131713

View attachment 131714

View attachment 131715

nobody home
View attachment 131716
Its a great scenic trail all the way to the end. Couple of great eats along the way too.

Kaleidopete

I was out early, 6AM in the park.
An AT hiker was asleep on the bench.
Dsc04661.jpg

I found a large cell phone and turned it in to the office.

The Double Kill stream is all dried up, so I stood in it and took photos.
Dsc04663.jpg

Dsc04664.jpg

The out of towners are in the park early with the grill going.
Dsc04666.jpg

Kaleidopete

6/28/20 Sunday
Did my second half ride of the Paulins Kill trail. I left from Henfoot Rd. in Stillwater towards the Paulins Kill Viaduct. My last ride was from Lafayette to Henfoot Rd. which was around 28 miles round trip. Today’s ride was 30 miles. Nice country to ride through, the trail kind of skirts the Paulins Kill river the whole way. I tried to stay clean, but gave up after a while, it had some great muddy spots. In spots it reminded me of winter riding the snow with “post holes” made by horses. This was the same in some dried muddy spots. Some nice bridges to cross too.
Not many people at 7:30AM, but a lot more on the return ride at 10AM. The trail has very poor markings, I really needed my Garmin today. Sometimes the trail becomes a road for a while and then jumps back to a trail. By the airport it’s confusing too, which road is the trail. Garmin to the rescue! No places along the way to stop for coffee or beer either, it’s all kind of just rail trail. I guess you could venture off into town though. I was hoping to arrive at the Paulins Kill Viaduct and be on top of it, but that didn’t happen, I was on the road below it and I didn’t see a way up and over. Once past the Viaduct the trail became very much overgrown for the remainder of the trail, which just kind of drops you on Brugler Rd. and Garmin no longer says Paulins Kill Trail. For my return ride I picked up the pace to about 16 mph. Just to add some excitement to it. Another surprise was very little wildlife. In 30 miles I saw 2 squirrel, 1 chipmunk, 1 rabbit, no deer, or bear. Plenty of birds though. Stopped for an early lunch, 1 mushroom slice and 1 pepper & onions slice of pizza, and for dessert a dairy queen cone. So that was my Sunday Funday.

Dsc04670.jpg
Dsc04671.jpg
Dsc04674.jpg
Dsc04675.jpg
Dsc04676.jpg
Dsc04678.jpg
Dsc04681.jpg

Kaleidopete

3rd of July
One of my favorite routes this morning. You start in the park and ride fire road to singletrack.
That becomes a main road and goes down the mountain into Warwick. Then some nice country roads,
back over to Iron Mt road and a nice climb and back into single track, back up into the park. Then over
to the boat launch, and furnace area and back out the main entrance. Great scenery and roads.
Image1.jpg

Capture.JPG

the ride down
Dsc04709.jpg

radio station
Dsc04710.jpg

Smoke bush
Dsc04711.jpg

Back up into the park
Dsc04712.jpg

a local celebrety
Dsc04714.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

My friend Gary mentioned a trail called Range Road in Wawayanda. I’ve never ridden it, but today was the day.
It’s out by Tombstone trail. So I left from my driveway, nice and early while it’s till cool out. The ride is singletrack
for a while and then turns into fire road. Man, these fire roads are brutal with all the loose stone, I’d much prefer dirt.
The rocks vary from half inch up to three and four inch in size. Climbs are a challenge with all this lose rock. Just before Range Rd.
I spotted a bear off to my left, it was running from my noisy bike on the loose rocks. Range road is called that because it goes
directly to Cherry Ridge Shooting Range, it too is an old fire road. Gets very little use though and is pretty overgrown with plenty
of washouts and branches down. It was a fun ride too, with only one side trail that I didn’t explore. It ends right at the range,
which is posted with danger signs and under video surveillance. On the was back I went up the power line to Tombstone trail
and rode that back to Turkey Ridge and Cherry Ridge Rd. and back home. About a twelve mile loop which had me pretty tired out.
I saw three other riders along the way and checked my “flyby on Strava” I know of this group, only met them once or twice. Great day out hitting a new trail.
Capture.JPG

The Range
Dsc04772.jpg

Side trail
Dsc04773.jpg

Powerline to Tombstone
Dsc04774.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Range road is called that because it goes
directly to Cherry Ridge Shooting Range, it too is an old fire road. Gets very little use though and is pretty overgrown with plenty
of washouts and branches down.

I snuck into Waway through there once. I was expecting to get yelled at by someone at the gun range, but nobody said anything. We may have gotten some dirty looks, or maybe people were just surprised to see two guys on fat bikes.

Kaleidopete

I mostly stayed on the roads today, with all the rain.
I did seventeen miles this morning, just to round out the week at 100 miles.
Mostly in the rain. I won't call this a rain jacket anymore, it's only a windbreaker.
The park left up the filled sign, but it was just me there this morning.
Dsc04830.jpg

windbreaker jacket
Dsc04831.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom