Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

I ventured off my mountain today and went to the Sussex Branch trail.
It was what I expected, except for the sign rerouting you to the road for
a mile only to reenter the trail for another short ride and then back across
another busy road where the sign says entering Kittatinny park. I was now at
my half way point in miles and wanted to return. I passed my starting point
on purpose and rode farther on the trail. I eventually recognized I had been on
this section once before. So I returned to my starting point. Great day out there
riding! Saw a few others on bikes too. Got my designated fifteen miles done.

da crossroads
Dsc03404.jpg

da detore
Dsc03406.jpg

I didn't like the looks of this bridge, turned back
Dsc03407.jpg

what da!
Dsc03411.jpg

it's aboe
Dsc03409.jpg

the cliffs
Dsc03410.jpg

Dsc03405.jpg

Kaleidopete

It was a nice wet ride today, rained the whole ride, but the woods looked beautiful.
I picked the trails that drain well and have no mud. They were great, leafy & slippery,
but my new tires were perfect. A little tree work was needed for me to continue my ride.

Dsc03479.jpg

Silky saw got it!
Dsc03480.jpg

Someone left a treat on the trail.
Dsc03478.jpg

Kaleidopete

Well here it is, December! The November picture thread is over and it was fun.
Riding today I realize I now need to put my ice studded tires on, I was slippin'
I'm looking forward to finishing out the year of riding almost every day. I missed a couple back in May.
Today's ride was pretty cold, 22° and icy. I'm never sure where I'm going to ride when I head out.
I decide as I roll along. Today I went up Double Pond trail and across the dreaded boardwalk, that just
this year I have been able to ride, but it is nerve wracking and exercises my sphincter muscles. Then I
went up Red Dot trail and struggling up a great hill, there was a tree across the trail. My Silkey saw took
care of that. Then it was over to Twin Bridges trail to head back, I attempted "Heckel Hill" I call it, it's in
the Bearscat route and I have only cleared it once, to my own amazement! Today I kept with tradition and
failed, about ten feet from the top my bike took an unexpected bounce and put me sideways. Maybe next time.
Then it was back across the dreaded boardwalk and up to the lake. I rode my "unknown" trail from the back
parking lot, over the mountain and back down to the road. That was enough for me today. A nice 11 mile work out.
Now I'm just waiting for the snow today. Maybe I'll get the Fatty out tomorrow, we'll have to see.

The morning sunrises are spectacular this time of year.

Dsc03650.jpg

Double Pond trail, very wet
Dsc03652.jpg

Tree work
Dsc03653.jpg

Dsc03654.jpg

Iron in the water makes it very red.
Dsc03656.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Well here it is! The winter Solstice! Ten more days left in this year.
I had a great ride today in Wawayanda, ice and snow and off camber ice rocks and roots. A real fun time.
Still plenty of trail work needed. Trees and brush down all over.
Iron Mt trail
Dsc03786.jpg

Dsc03787.jpg

Wingdam falls
Dsc03788.jpg

Sitting Bear trail closing in
Dsc03789.jpg

Sitting Bear tree work
Dsc03791.jpg

all clear
Dsc03792.jpg

Break time on Doublepond trail
Dsc03794.jpg

Solstice2.JPG

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well here it is! The winter Solstice! Ten more days left in this year.
I had a great ride today in Wawayanda, ice and snow and off camber ice rocks and roots. A real fun time.
Still plenty of trail work needed. Trees and brush down all over.
Iron Mt trail
View attachment 113954

View attachment 113955

Wingdam falls
View attachment 113956

Sitting Bear trail closing in
View attachment 113957
Sitting Bear tree work
View attachment 113958

all clear
View attachment 113959

Break time on Doublepond trail
View attachment 113961

View attachment 113963
Happy Solstice!

Kaleidopete

January 1 2020
Ah, the start of a new year. 2019 saw me riding just over 4000 miles, depending on who’s counting.
Strava says 4224.8, it gets it’s numbers from my Tom Tom GPS watch. My bike computer comes up a little higher, around 4400, not much difference anyway. I joined a few Strava clubs over the year too. This year I’m dropping out of them, they’re bugging me. I find myself riding to get numbers, rather than just riding for the fun of it. I guess it was fun going for the numbers too, but it starts interfering with my real fun, just riding when and where I want. It must be just me, I’m not a very good game player. I had a great ride this morning on some challenging trails and then did some tree trimming. A great start to 2020.

New subject. I bought a new Mustang GT California Special. It’s making me happy, I really like this car. I never had a car that claims 0-60 in just under 4 seconds. It has lots of features I like and the controls work great. Heated seat and steering wheel stay on until you tell them to turn off, not like my other cars, that went off when ever you shut the car off. Traction control works off a toggle switch, on & off, not through a menu on a screen. The down side is I can’t sneak in and out of my neighbor hood, they can hear me coming. Not much else to say, my health is pretty good, my bills are small, I sleep good, I’ve got plenty of time to do the things I want. And, the wife is happy!
Happy New Year!
some mud
Dsc03847.jpg

tree work
Dsc03848.jpg

done
Dsc03849.jpg

new ride
Dsc03851.jpg

rick81721

Lothar
January 1 2020
Ah, the start of a new year. 2019 saw me riding just over 4000 miles, depending on who’s counting.
Strava says 4224.8, it gets it’s numbers from my Tom Tom GPS watch. My bike computer comes up a little higher, around 4400, not much difference anyway. I joined a few Strava clubs over the year too. This year I’m dropping out of them, they’re bugging me. I find myself riding to get numbers, rather than just riding for the fun of it. I guess it was fun going for the numbers too, but it starts interfering with my real fun, just riding when and where I want. It must be just me, I’m not a very good game player. I had a great ride this morning on some challenging trails and then did some tree trimming. A great start to 2020.

New subject. I bought a new Mustang GT California Special. It’s making me happy, I really like this car. I never had a car that claims 0-60 in just under 4 seconds. It has lots of features I like and the controls work great. Heated seat and steering wheel stay on until you tell them to turn off, not like my other cars, that went off when ever you shut the car off. Traction control works off a toggle switch, on & off, not through a menu on a screen. The down side is I can’t sneak in and out of my neighbor hood, they can hear me coming. Not much else to say, my health is pretty good, my bills are small, I sleep good, I’ve got plenty of time to do the things I want. And, the wife is happy!
Happy New Year!
some mud
View attachment 114996

tree work
View attachment 114997

done
View attachment 114998

new ride
View attachment 114999

Happy new year Pete! Now you have a car for our summer cruises other than the hearse!

Kaleidopete

A good day on the bike today. I managed to climb "Heckel Hill" , my name for it anyway.
It's pretty tough, out of about six tries over the years I've only made it one other time.
Today As I rode up I was already a little drained from the rock gardens. As I climbed, it
felt good, until I neared the top, which is always the killer. I wanted to go straight, but
the bike wanted to go right. I kept the power on and went right, a big rock on my left
made me back pedal to avoid hitting it, then I was only a few feet from the top when my
right foot came off the pedal, flat pedals, I somehow managed to get the tip of my boot back
on the pedal to give me the push over the top that I needed to make it. Ha! made it, once more.
Of course I couldn't get a photo, but here are some guys riding the hill at Iron Furnace.

Iron Furnn002MikeM.jpg
Iron Furnn061.jpg

Kaleidopete

March 12 2020
The end of February I was slowing down a little. Doing shorter and easier rides, because a few of my rides I over did it and suffered the consequences. When I’m having fun I forget about my auto immune condition and tend to over do it. The results were muscle cramping and spasms in my throat and chest muscles. I go through about six hours of only being able to take short breaths. Things cleared up fine with more rest. Same thing happens with some trail maintenance, I cut out a tree and wrestle with it to move the pieces and wind up over exerting. Gotta pace myself! Now it’s March 12 and so far this year I’ve got 120 hours riding in, not bad! I just keep doing my every day thing and it adds up. Last weekend I did the Columbia trail ride with the group and that was a lot of fun. Got to see everyone and had a nice lunch and beer. Thanks Mitch. It’s also the longest ride I ever did, ha, 30.4 miles. My previous record was 30.1. Pretty pathetic considering the group here. My reasons for riding aren’t to get better, go faster, or build up my strength, I just enjoy getting out in the woods and riding trails and seeing the early morning Nature. Doesn’t take much to make me happy at this age. It’s nice to see Spring is just around the corner. The next challenge will be the Spring Bugs to fight off. Winter’s not so bad after all now that I think of it.

Columbia tr08.jpg

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now it’s March 12 and so far this year I’ve got 120 hours riding in, not bad!

It’s also the longest ride I ever did, ha, 30.4 miles. My previous record was 30.1. Pretty pathetic considering the group here.

Comparing yourself to others is overrated, but I doubt many people around here have 120 hours riding outside this year. It's inspiring to see that you're out there everyday, no matter what. Keep it up!

Kaleidopete

March 26 2020
I started my ride this morning planning on doing Hoeferlin trail to Black Eagle trail. It is a tough start for me,
but I felt up to it today. It was going great until the very end when I came upon a large Oak tree across the trail.
I figured I cut it and see how it goes. The cut was a tough one, the tree is about 14 inches thick. I did it,
and worked up a sweat doing it. I tried to maneuver the tree so as to be able to ride around it. Too tough,
I’m going for a ride. So I did my usual 4 or 5 miles and found I had spent all my energy on that tree. I had to quit early.
On the way back I was feeling better and attacked the tree again with my renewed energy I was able to position it so
it can be ridden around. Good enough for me. I’ve found just leaving it like this sometimes stronger others come along
and make it even better. So I had two hours in, but only seven miles riding. Done by 9AM.
Dsc04219.jpg

Dsc04222.jpg

Had my lunch and a 30 minute nap and I was ready to go again. I’ll just do a light road ride to get some more miles in today.
So down Clinton Rd. I go. Feeling good I thought I’d head into the woods on a trail. I think I did this once before.
Just want to see how it goes and what I remember. I was a fun trail for a while, but it got rougher and rockier as I rode.
I kept staying to my left hoping to come to another trail leading back to Clinton Rd. It wasn’t happening for me.
I was crossing deep streams and climbing rough hills. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to backtrack, it was pretty rough.
About 4 miles in I walked to a ridge and saw a large lake between me and Clinton Rd. I knew I had to go back, this lake
had lots of miles to get around. On my ride back I took it a little easier, as I was running out of energy again. The trails were
really great though, lots of fun. I came across a group of 3 bikers, surprise! I said I was lost and giving up, they said they had
a map on their phone, I said good luck. So my easy road recovery ride turned into an adventure. Not what I was planning on,
but I still had a great time. I don’t enjoy the “lost” feeling though. I’m out there with no phone, no map and just winging it,
and with my sense of direction and forgetful memory it feels scary at times. Where da fug am I?
Cimg0429.jpg

That’s it, made it back home with a little over 12 miles clocked and now I’m resting with a beer!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
About 4 miles in I walked to a ridge and saw a large lake between me and Clinton Rd. I knew I had to go back, this lake
had lots of miles to get around.

Good stuff Pete, exploring is fun! I'm planning to take that yellow trail all the way around soon. The last two time I was up there I turned left on that teal blazed trail instead.

Top Bottom