Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

7/4/2019
Forth of July I was on Banker trail, riding over to the Cherry Ridge cemetery and going uphill.
I had a horrendous pedal strike on the right side that through me down on my left side.
Wow, I want down like a sack of shit! Took a hard hit on my left elbow and forearm.
I also pulled some muscles in my neck and back. Also took a good hit to my left ass bone.
This was the kind of crash that you just lay there for a while, not even untangling myself from the bike.
I wasn’t in a hurry anyway. Man that hurt. I thought shit! I’m only a mile into my ride and I plan on doing eleven more.
This sucks. Well I got myself up and riding again, realizing my left wrist also hurt, as did my right ankle.
But I didn’t break anything I hope, all seems OK. I walked for about 100 feet just to see how things felt, pretty good,
you know, walk it off. So off I went riding again hoping to loosen things up a little as I rode. It worked, I still hurt, but
the riding felt pretty good. I stopped again about a quarter mile ahead just to drink some water and shake off the crash effect.
I started having fun again and riding fine. I got to my destination and did my thing and cautiously rode the single track back.
Got home and dressed my wounds and popped a Percocet and a beer. Feeling pretty good now, just achy, think I’ll have another beer. I’m getting too old for this shit!
Wifey said what did you do to your arm! I said "hit a rock" that's it.

Dsc02803.jpg

thegock

7/4/2019
Forth of July I was on Banker trail, riding over to the Cherry Ridge cemetery and going uphill.
I had a horrendous pedal strike on the right side that through me down on my left side.
Wow, I want down like a sack of shit! Took a hard hit on my left elbow and forearm.
I also pulled some muscles in my neck and back. Also took a good hit to my left ass bone.
This was the kind of crash that you just lay there for a while, not even untangling myself from the bike.
I wasn’t in a hurry anyway. Man that hurt. I thought shit! I’m only a mile into my ride and I plan on doing eleven more.
This sucks. Well I got myself up and riding again, realizing my left wrist also hurt, as did my right ankle.
But I didn’t break anything I hope, all seems OK. I walked for about 100 feet just to see how things felt, pretty good,
you know, walk it off. So off I went riding again hoping to loosen things up a little as I rode. It worked, I still hurt, but
the riding felt pretty good. I stopped again about a quarter mile ahead just to drink some water and shake off the crash effect.
I started having fun again and riding fine. I got to my destination and did my thing and cautiously rode the single track back.
Got home and dressed my wounds and popped a Percocet and a beer. Feeling pretty good now, just achy, think I’ll have another beer. I’m getting too old for this shit!
Wifey said what did you do to your arm! I said "hit a rock" that's it.

View attachment 98936

MVIMG_20190629_102544-02.jpeg

Armor, son

Kaleidopete

Well it’s been quite a July with all the challenges going on.
Trek challenge, I qualify for the T shirt. If I could have rode 500 miles I’d qualify to be entered in a drawing for a bike.
I couldn’t see me doing 500 miles though, but surprisingly I got to 445 miles! I think I placed around 38400 th out of like 154000.
I also completed the Halters challenge of riding at least one hour every day. That gets me $100 prize, which I have donated to Jorba.
Then there was the July Black Bear Cycle club July challenge, ride every day in July and go for the final ride through Sussex county.
This challenge I also completed. The final ride was something different for me. We did the country roads and hills,
17 miles, 1200 ft elevation, averaging 12.6 mph, and a heart rate of 110 to 181. I also hit my maximum speed of 36 mph,
very unusual for me! It was a great ride with a great sunset. We saw long horn steer, and water buffalo on some of the farms.
I’m feeling that extra workout today in some well used muscles.

Dsc02955.jpg
IMG_6336.jpg

Kaleidopete

Great day biking. I went to the Point Peter Pounder race in Port Jervis. I parked in front of the brewery since that was going to be my finish.
I peddled the two miles up Skyline Drive to the registration station. Saw lots of friendly faces and hung around for the race start.
Then I rode back down into town and across the bridge on the Delaware into Pennsylvania. I rode up Delaware rd., which follows
the river for about seven miles. Great views and houses along the river. Lots of ups and downs too. I got back into Port Jervis and
hit the Heritage Trail. This trail is in sections and not continuous. It goes right along the river and by new Pump Track too, where lots
of riders were pumpin’. Then it was time for me to quit and grab lunch and a beer at the brewery. It was a nice 20 mile day.

the race
Dsc03002.jpg

Delaware Rd
Dsc03004.jpg

Dsc03007.jpg

Dsc03009.jpg

Dsc03011.jpg

Heritage Trail
Dsc03012.jpg

Dsc03015.jpg

more Heritage Trail
Dsc03016.jpg

Lunch
Dsc03018.jpg

Kaleidopete

Today I rode the Ramapo Rally road ride. This goes through Mahwah and Franklin Lakes area.
They start out with a breakfast buffet with bagels coffee OJ hard boiled eggs bananas cheese sticks and more.
I did the 25 mile ride that left at 9AM. There is an aid station at 9 miles, with fruit and drinks and PJ sandwiches and nuts and more.
There were about 15 people on this ride. I am not really a road rider and if I do I always ride alone, so this was a weird experience.
A lot of riders ride like crap! Riding three abreast and even when regular riding they hog the road. Like I said, I road ride by myself
sometimes but always stay as far right as I can. They made me nervous as hell. Other than that it was a fun ride.and the food was great.
I don’t think I’ll ever do it again though, I like the woods, by myself.

Dsc03062.jpg

Dsc03051.jpg

the aid station
Dsc03056.jpg

lunch
Dsc03061.jpg

Dsc03060.jpg

track.JPG

Kaleidopete

Nice afternoon today, I went to a concert in Warwick, NY. Classical music at the art center.
Tickets go on sale at 4 PM, show starts at 5 PM. So planned my ride, rode the countryside
for an hour, stopped and got my ticket and rode more countryside until show time.
The ladies working the door liked my bike and spotted my Fireball, so I offered some up.
The three of us enjoyed some and they liked it so much they wanted to photo the bottle
for future purchase. The show went well, no amplification, just music. A string quartet playing
Haydn, Schubert, Wagner, Bach, and Brahms. An amazing show. Tenor and soprano singers.
about 50 people in attendance.
Dsc03118.jpg
Dsc03121.jpg
Dsc03123.jpg
Dsc03126.jpg
Dsc03127.jpg
Dsc03130.jpg

FitmanNJ

Nice afternoon today, I went to a concert in Warwick, NY. Classical music at the art center.
Tickets go on sale at 4 PM, show starts at 5 PM. So planned my ride, rode the countryside
for an hour, stopped and got my ticket and rode more countryside until show time.
The ladies working the door liked my bike and spotted my Fireball, so I offered some up.
The three of us enjoyed some and they liked it so much they wanted to photo the bottle
for future purchase. The show went well, no amplification, just music. A string quartet playing
Haydn, Schubert, Wagner, Bach, and Brahms. An amazing show. Tenor and soprano singers.
about 50 people in attendance.
View attachment 103990View attachment 103991View attachment 103992View attachment 103993View attachment 103994View attachment 103995
Pacem in Terris...went there years ago. It's a delightful place to visit and to hear a concert. Frederick Franck was still alive when I first went there with members of the Bicycle Touring Club of North Jersey.

Kaleidopete

So here we are in October! What a great September it was, lots of riding and fun. The Jorba fest was the best. I didn’t sign up for any group rides, I usually ride alone at my own pace and I’m not that great a rider and didn’t want to hold up any groups. On my lone ride I caught the tail end of Muddybikes ride with some children, great, I tagged along and found the pace suitable. I only knew Zoe in the group and hoped I could keep up. They decided to head back, so I left that group and went out alone on Blue trail, which became Yellow and crossed the Morris road. I kept riding and the trail got smaller and tougher until it just seemed to end in the woods. So back I went retracing my ride. I caught another group returning and rode along with them back to the main event.
I also rode with Bruce of Black Bear cycle last month. We did a road ride through Sussex county. It was great fun, I’m not usually on the road, but I did get my full suspension 2.8 tire 15psi. Mountain bike up to an astonishing 36 mph on the down hills, and a 20 mile ride. Great fun Bruce, thanks.

Back to this morning at 5:30 AM my local weather said “showers at 7:AM. I knew Id be on the trails riding then, so I packed my rain gear in my backpack and thought about my Strava title being “it’s been a while since I rode in the rain”. That didn’t happen, it was clear and warm. I rode out Doublepond trail all the way to Banker and back, the mud is gone and it was smooth sailing. On the way back though I had problems, my pedals stuck and wouldn’t rotate. I saw a stick jammed in my front sprocket and pulled it out. Still nothing, I get a few pedal strokes and it would jam up again. I saw that the chain, as it was coming around the sprocket it continued up and jammed into the upper part of the chain on the sprocket. I flipped the bike up and with my knife, dug out some debris and small sticks from the sprocket. Back down, same problem. I was able to get out to the road about a mile later, limping along. Here I again dug more out that had gotten jammed in there. Finely cleared it out and finished my ride.
I finished the Trek 100 mile challenge last month and got my free T shirt and Strava badge.
I’ve pretty much just been doing my daily early morning rides at Wawayanda. Keeping it slow and exploring and trying to squeeze as much fun as I can in my two hour rides. Winter’s coming and I hope it eases in slowly.
Happy Trails!

Dsc03297.jpg

Doublepond trail
Dsc03298.jpg
Dsc03300.jpg

Did a little Latrine duty at the park bathroom, I use it, so I want it kept up.
Before: the toilet paper holder was broken off and on the floor with no paper.
The door overhead hinge/shock absorber was broken off, and things needed cleaning up.
So I fixed it all and now I'm happy. That's what it's all about, keeping me happy!

before
1 Latrine2.JPG

after
1 Latrine4.JPG

serviceguy

So here we are in October! What a great September it was, lots of riding and fun. The Jorba fest was the best. I didn’t sign up for any group rides, I usually ride alone at my own pace and I’m not that great a rider and didn’t want to hold up any groups. On my lone ride I caught the tail end of Muddybikes ride with some children, great, I tagged along and found the pace suitable. I only knew Zoe in the group and hoped I could keep up. They decided to head back, so I left that group and went out alone on Blue trail, which became Yellow and crossed the Morris road. I kept riding and the trail got smaller and tougher until it just seemed to end in the woods. So back I went retracing my ride. I caught another group returning and rode along with them back to the main event.
I also rode with Bruce of Black Bear cycle last month. We did a road ride through Sussex county. It was great fun, I’m not usually on the road, but I did get my full suspension 2.8 tire 15psi. Mountain bike up to an astonishing 36 mph on the down hills, and a 20 mile ride. Great fun Bruce, thanks.

Back to this morning at 5:30 AM my local weather said “showers at 7:AM. I knew Id be on the trails riding then, so I packed my rain gear in my backpack and thought about my Strava title being “it’s been a while since I rode in the rain”. That didn’t happen, it was clear and warm. I rode out Doublepond trail all the way to Banker and back, the mud is gone and it was smooth sailing. On the way back though I had problems, my pedals stuck and wouldn’t rotate. I saw a stick jammed in my front sprocket and pulled it out. Still nothing, I get a few pedal strokes and it would jam up again. I saw that the chain, as it was coming around the sprocket it continued up and jammed into the upper part of the chain on the sprocket. I flipped the bike up and with my knife, dug out some debris and small sticks from the sprocket. Back down, same problem. I was able to get out to the road about a mile later, limping along. Here I again dug more out that had gotten jammed in there. Finely cleared it out and finished my ride.
I finished the Trek 100 mile challenge last month and got my free T shirt and Strava badge.
I’ve pretty much just been doing my daily early morning rides at Wawayanda. Keeping it slow and exploring and trying to squeeze as much fun as I can in my two hour rides. Winter’s coming and I hope it eases in slowly.
Happy Trails!

View attachment 107225
Doublepond trail
View attachment 107226View attachment 107227

Did a little Latrine duty at the park bathroom, I use it, so I want it kept up.
Before: the toilet paper holder was broken off and on the floor with no paper.
The door overhead hinge/shock absorber was broken off, and things needed cleaning up.
So I fixed it all and now I'm happy. That's what it's all about, keeping me happy!

before
View attachment 107228

after
View attachment 107229

Pete, you're a class act, and I think everybody in here agrees to that (those who don't...what do they know?). I think you ended up taking the Cooper Union trail (the red path on the map below), the JORBAFest loop had a sharp turn right on Cooper Union that wasn't marked that clearly in my opinion, you probably went straight into the lower portion of Cooper Union, it ends in somebody's backyard (ask me how I know it). We did a slight variation of that loop with the OOS crew and had a good time, nice and flowy trail all the way to Sterling Mine Rd.

CooperUnion.JPG

Kaleidopete

Pete, you're a class act, and I think everybody in here agrees to that (those who don't...what do they know?). I think you ended up taking the Cooper Union trail (the red path on the map below), the JORBAFest loop had a sharp turn right on Cooper Union that wasn't marked that clearly in my opinion, you probably went straight into the lower portion of Cooper Union, it ends in somebody's backyard (ask me how I know it). We did a slight variation of that loop with the OOS crew and had a good time, nice and flowy trail all the way to Sterling Mine Rd.

View attachment 107233
Thanks, that explains it. I get lost easily.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks Pete!

I'm expecting some artwork on that plain, back wall! :)

i never thought about cleaning up the potty. i will now.

Kaleidopete

Thanks Pete!

I'm expecting some artwork on that plain, back wall! :)

i never thought about cleaning up the potty. i will now.
The park does a great job on keeping the potty's clean,
it's just this one that is kinda out there by the AT that they can't drive too that gets neglected.

Kaleidopete

It was the best of times it was the worst of times. Wow, what a day, fun & disappointment.
Today was the Ragnar foot race in Wawayanda. It’s a twenty four hour race by clubs or groups.
I think they do like twelve mile loops on the same trails as Bearscat 50. 1500 people in the park for this today.
They do a great job and have it down pat. I always look forward to the beer tent, I don’t know why,
but it’s just fun to grab a beer at seven AM, when I usually ride the park. This year was different, seven AM
and the beer garden is empty! Much to my disappointment. No one around. So I decided to ride my trails, trying
to utilize the ones the runners wouldn’t be on. This was great! Off I went clearing spider webs with my face on
my little known trails. Boy, everything sure looks different with the heavy leaf cover. I did a nice eight mile loop
and stopped back at the beer garden, still not open, and no one knows when it will open. Crap! This is a twenty four hour event!
Last year I got a beer at seven AM. No use complaining, I went back on the trails riding. Damn, wouldn’t you know it,
just as I’m riding down a sketchy rooty section of trail a spider comes jiggling on a string right off the brim of my helmet
and lining up perfectly with my mouth. Can’t let go of the bars to brush him away, he found some strength and climbed
back up to safety. Whew. I rode another four miles and went back to the beer garden, still nothing. Back on some trails,
man the runners are making dust of the leaves and creating a great trail base. I hear shotguns exploding in the direction I’m going.
Not to worry, I’ve got my orange gloves on. Back at the beer garden, it’s ten AM and they’re open! So I grabbed me a beer and
headed over to the food truck for and egg & cheese sandwich. Sorry, breakfast is over, no more egg & cheese for sale. Damn,
I missed it. I complained to them beer opens at ten and breakfast is over at ten, poor timing. I said, give me the veggie sandwich.
They said, we’re closed and will reopen in fifteen minutes for lunch. I rode over to the Mexican booth and got a breakfast bowl,
it was great with my beer. It really was a great time today, lots of friendly runners. I watched and cheered as many crossed the finish line.
My rotator cuffs were screaming as I headed back to my car, the trails beat me up today. I took one last very unused trail that is now
very overgrown and I took a tumble. A gentle tumble. A very exhausting day. Sixteen miles at Wawayanda. Got home and grabbed another
beer and washed down one of my few remaining Percocet. Ahh, feeling much better.

trails
Dsc03384.jpg

Ragnar
Dsc03386.jpg

Dsc03392.jpg

Beer
Dsc03389.jpg

Dsc03391.jpg

More work
Dsc03393.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom