Purchased $1K carbon wheels for a bike that doesn’t yet exist.

You are ...

• A genius. Let’s hope your wife doesn’t find out!

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • That was dumb. Let me know when you’re ready to sell me the wheels.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Risky but sometimes ya just gotta say f%#$ it. Good luck!

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters
Finally arrived!

1B32E96B-46DC-4E4E-B68C-FDAE31E21E3B.jpeg

Build to begin in 3-2-1...

I was wondering where this build went... That frame is gorgeous. Sexy carbon is not for me but I do love to look ?

I'm digging the color scheme. Way to own it by going with those grips. :thumbsup: She's purty.

So what are your early impressions of this bike so far? Pros Closet has a good deal on one right now and I need you to tell me it’s terrible.
It’s my first 29er so take this for what it’s worth. I’ve also only had 5 rides on it so far. I’m still getting the suspension dialed and making adjustments.

The most noticeable thing is how awesome the bike climbs. Standing (or seated) and hammering up steep, technical ascents is actually enjoyable. I cleared a section the other day that I almost always have to walk. The suspension is super sweet. Even though it’s a 4-bar Horst Link, it rides more like a DW Link. The 1224 wheelbase and 77 degree seat angle also help it climb really well. On the flip side, the bike is not as nimble as my other bike. The wheelbase is almost 4” longer than my Norco Sight and I can certainly feel it. I’ve had to adjust my riding style to get the rear wheel to track around tight turns. I guess the best way to describe it is that my 27.5 wheeled Norco handled like a cheetah- nimble and quick on tight stuff but skittish at really high speed. The Orbea is more like a thoroughbred- steady and balanced, especially when it gets steep and fast, but not as quick when the trails get tight and more technical.

I need more time on the bike but so far I’m happy.

That’s more or less what I’d expect to hear. The weight and the climbing geo are what got my attention, but I would want it to feel more playful. Being a small I still don’t know if I want to go 29... it’s getting hard to find modern 27.5 trail bikes these days. I’ll probably keep holding out for the Evil, but it’s like waiting for a unicorn to appear unless I go all in on a new build. Might have to follow your lead and spend a year buying parts lol.

That’s more or less what I’d expect to hear. The weight and the climbing geo are what got my attention, but I would want it to feel more playful. Being a small I still don’t know if I want to go 29... it’s getting hard to find modern 27.5 trail bikes these days. I’ll probably keep holding out for the Evil, but it’s like waiting for a unicorn to appear unless I go all in on a new build. Might have to follow your lead and spend a year buying parts lol.
Don’t be like me. Start with a frame and build around that rather than with a set of wheels. ;) Have you looked at the Transition Scout? Thats a killer 27.5 bike.

Back
Top Bottom