Purchased $1K carbon wheels for a bike that doesn’t yet exist.

You are ...

• A genius. Let’s hope your wife doesn’t find out!

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • That was dumb. Let me know when you’re ready to sell me the wheels.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Risky but sometimes ya just gotta say f%#$ it. Good luck!

Votes: 21 51.2%

• Total voters

serviceguy

buying the parts solwly over time will take the sting out of it and allow you to find deals on some of the parts. no pressure, but its black friday week..........
This, unless you stretch your purchases over an extended period of time and then all the standards have changed...like 4 months!?!?!

Ian F

I had to change my vote to "risky" as while I have built just about all of my bikes from parts over time, doing so has occasionally resulted in me ending up with expensive parts that I no longer need and are now worth less than even the discounted price I paid for them.

But a set of Boost 29er wheels are a reasonably safe purchase. I don't see the Boost 110/148 standard going obsolete anytime soon.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
But for that price you could have had custom wheels built with purple hubs
OP researching return policy
1574873786464.gif
1574873786464.gif

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
But for that price you could have had custom wheels built with purple hubs
I currently own a set in 27.5 and absolutely love the way the Mavic carbon feels. I saw these listed for auction at a starting bid of $1,100 but there was also a “make an offer” button. Took a shot and offered $800. Seller accepted.

And here we are.
#winning

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Do they have proprietary spokes?
If they do... I would buy a couple of them to have on hand. Was it 5yrs that Mavic keeps them in stock?

olegbabich

buying the parts solwly over time will take the sting out of it and allow you to find deals on some of the parts. no pressure, but its black friday week..........

If you can spread it out 3 -4 months and be patient, then build it yourself, there is a good chance you can beat any shop or online price for a complete bike. At least you will end up with better components for the same $$$.

I rather enjoy chasing the deals and building the bike at home is also very rewarding.

I use Paypal Credit to take the sting out of large $$$ purchases.

Mrs Oleg - "Is that a new Carbon Bike Frame, new Fishing Rod and another set of tires for KTM Enduro?" Me - "Yes, but it is OK, cause I used Paypal Credit".

Mrs Oleg just rolls her eyes and leaves the room. Trust me it really works.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
If you can spread it out 3 -4 months and be patient, then build it yourself, there is a good chance you can beat any shop or online price for a complete bike. At least you will end up with better components for the same $$$.

I rather enjoy chasing the deals and building the bike at home is also very rewarding.

Mrs Oleg - "Is that a new Carbon Bike Frame, new Fishing Rod and another set of tires for KTM Enduro?" Me - "Yes, but it is OK, cause I used Paypal Credit".

You complete me Oleg. :gp:
D3B4EC74-8B00-496E-A6E1-3BA95340F195.jpeg

RickVaughn

i did that when yeti frames went on sale. planned on building the bike throughout the off season and have it done by spring. it was built about 2 weeks later...

Captain Brainstorm

I buy my fishing rods in complete secret using funds embezzled over time, because to a non-fisherman, the prices are outrageous and difficult to explain. Ok, the prices are just outrageous period.

olegbabich

I buy my fishing rods in complete secret using funds embezzled over time, because to a non-fisherman, the prices are outrageous and difficult to explain. Ok, the prices are just outrageous period.

That is some funny shit. :)

With my Hobbies and Interests Mrs Oleg participates and / or supports me in all of them.

Quality toys and fun activities do carry a big $$$$ and I agree most of this stuff is ridiculously overprices.

Fishing and Fishing Trips (add a small fishing boat)
Photography
Skiing and Ski Trips
Euro Trash Motorcycles (Ducati and KTM)
RC Cars and Planes

But I will argue with you all day, that Cycling is the most overpriced way to have fun.

When talking about bicycles, normal people (folks at work) do not understand how a bicycle I have cost $2000 and their heads explode after I say that top of the line will be $5000+

Captain Brainstorm

That is some funny shit. :)

With my Hobbies and Interests Mrs Oleg participates and / or supports me in all of them.

Quality toys and fun activities do carry a big $$$$ and I agree most of this stuff is ridiculously overprices.

Fishing and Fishing Trips (add a small fishing boat)
Photography
Skiing and Ski Trips
Euro Trash Motorcycles (Ducati and KTM)
RC Cars and Planes

But I will argue with you all day, that Cycling is the most overpriced way to have fun.

When talking about bicycles, normal people (folks at work) do not understand how a bicycle I have cost $2000 and their heads explode after I say that top of the line will be $5000+

Somehow all outdoor activities (except running) carry a $$$$ price tag. My embezzling activities have gone from occasional to constant to fund my expensive habits without having to live in the garage full time, or worse yet, be found floating face down in the Meadowlands (I’m married to an Italian).

Skiing has come to be accepted as a necessary evil in my house since the kids like it, plus been doing it my entire life, so there’s precedent prior to marriage.
Photography - I got into it briefly, but thank god it was just a phase.
Still ride my crotch rocket, to the chagrin of my entire family.
The fishing falls into the same category as skiing, prior precedent. Unfortunately I go high-end with both spinning and fly gear. The fly gear is especially eye watering because of course, all of my rods and reels need to be top end shit made in the US. Then there’s the obscene amount of fly tying gear and material.

And last but not least, the biking. The entire cliche of getting black bikes really does work. The cost is one thing, the other has been me fucking myself up lately. Maybe I should just stick to fishing.

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This.
I always get the question “how much is a bike like that?” from guys pumping my gas looking up at my roof rack.
Now I just say “$300” and get on with my day.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Somehow all outdoor activities (except running) carry a $$$$ price tag. My embezzling activities have gone from occasional to constant to fund my expensive habits without having to live in the garage full time, or worse yet, be found floating face down in the Meadowlands (I’m married to an Italian).

Skiing has come to be accepted as a necessary evil in my house since the kids like it, plus been doing it my entire life, so there’s precedent prior to marriage.
Photography - I got into it briefly, but thank god it was just a phase.
Still ride my crotch rocket, to the chagrin of my entire family.
The fishing falls into the same category as skiing, prior precedent. Unfortunately I go high-end with both spinning and fly gear. The fly gear is especially eye watering because of course, all of my rods and reels need to be top end shit made in the US. Then there’s the obscene amount of fly tying gear and material.

And last but not least, the biking. The entire cliche of getting black bikes really does work. The cost is one thing, the other has been me fucking myself up lately. Maybe I should just stick to fishing.
I was on the same color hike thing for awhile and I agree, it works. It also works to take the wheels off bikes as somehow the rest of the bike is invisible without wheels on. Also different location throughout the garage helps too. That being said, don’t commute to work on a bike and leave a different one in its spot ?

I have since moved on to random colored bikes but the biggest threat to my new gear is my 12 year old son. I have a running joke with @Mountain Bike Mike to see how long something is in the garage before he notices and it is typically minutes. IDK, he senses it or something or maybe sense that he is getting the hand-me-down or whatever the part is replacing.

The struggle is real.

goldsbar

Somehow all outdoor activities (except running) carry a $$$$ price tag.

Hmm, you're forgetting about knee replacements and all that fun stuff. I got into running pretty seriously for a couple of years. Injuries are a given in that sport, and not just a little tweak to your knee or back that takes a couple of days of rest. When I was marathon training, I always had some sort of nagging injury going on. Looked around at the serious guys and ran back to cycling. Agree about the gear. So cheap and even racing shoes last a long time.

Skiing is crazy because it costs every time you go and the good stuff requires vacations. Though a good day at Plattekill can be really good...

TimBay

I must learn the ways. I need to get a non remote job so I have somewhere to ship bike stuff where my wife can't see it coming.

Top Bottom