Votes: 1 1.4%
  • bebop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • toe clips/powergrips

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alright, i currently use crank bros candy c on my mtb and eggbeaters on my road. i may be looking to switch soon. if people could list what pedals they are using and pros/cons of each it would be a big help to i'm sure not just me. i know i could go to mtbr and click on each individual product and hope i'm getting this years model/etc, but i would rather have this with the potential for discussion.

crank bros candy c:

pro
light
no mud probs
simple
rebuildable
great customer service

con
cleat wears out really quick
release when you "step" on an obstacle with underside of pedal
rear retention bars wore really deep grooves in my shoes(carbon soles)

NJ Jess

Time

TIME pedals are easy to get in and out of
shed mud
no tension screws to adjust
easy to maintain
have wide enough platform

con:
may be heavier than egg beaters
cleats are 25 bucks, but last the season

Time Atac...because I have not tried many others

my first pair of SPDs were Ritchey's and they sucked. I kept getting stuck in them, no matter how hard I tried to release I could not get the toes out. I ended up with bruised and battered legs that summer and a chainring-patterned grease mark on my right calf that would not go away, not to mention the somewhat-good-natured ridicule of fellow riders as I constantly fell over and took my bike reluctantly with me down the hill.

Things got slightly better with a set of Shimano 505s which I rode twice before switching to Time pedals I picked up for half price at an MTB festival. Best I've ever ridden. I have purchased the Time Atac's for every bike I have had since that first pair - 4 in all.

I was thinking about a pair of Candy's or Eggbeaters this year but I cannot bring myself to part with the Time pedals. They made riding with SPDs a pleasure and I think my loyalty has been won hook, line, and sinker in this regard.

Shaggz

A strong 7
using egg beaters and switching to candies
egg beaters:

pro - light, great mud clearance, and multiple entry points

con - i broke one of the tines/entrypoints off the pedal by smacking it on a rock. crank bros will repair no questions asked and actually offered to servcie the other pedal free of charge with 3 day turn around, which is a pro.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I totally dig the new XTR pedal.

They are light, solid and they have a consistant release feel.

I personally don't dig the "loose" feel of the Frogs or the Crank Bros.

This is the same reason that I didn't like the Speedplay road pedals.

I rode Time pedals for a bit but I still came back to Shimano in the end.

Keep in mind that I bought the very first Shimano SPD pedal in 1990 (I think) and I have been happy ever since. I remeber when the 747's came out and what a big deal that was. In fact I think ChrisG is riding a pair I gave him a while back.

I think that Crank bros are a great women's or newbie pedal. They have the easiest release going and entry is a breeze.

I think I sold nearly 100 pairs of Smartys alone this year!

Btw ..the listing of the Onza pedal on the Voting ballot made me laugh. I think we threw out like 25 pairs when we last moved the shop. We really couldn't even give them away.

j

lancerracer

I totally dig the new XTR pedal.

They are light, solid and they have a consistant release feel.

I agree, I just got a pair and they are some of the best pedals I have ever ridden.

I really like the egg beaters as well, but I usually like my release really tight and I just can't get that from the eggs. My girlfriend however loves them...

jdog

Shop Keep
I agree, I just got a pair and they are some of the best pedals I have ever ridden.

I really like the egg beaters as well, but I usually like my release really tight and I just can't get that from the eggs. My girlfriend however loves them...

Right good pedal for the ladies, the ladies! (beastie boys ref.)

ArmyOfNone

im runnin shimano 525s on my rig. I love em for the most part. The only time i wish i had a bigger platform is when im trying to get started in a rocky section or uphill. But other than that, there the ticket!

Im curious about the new xtrs that Js runnin hopefully ill find out in the morning.

J-Dro

Time ATAC Control Z

Pros:
Platform is big enough so you don't need to be clipped in to pedal. Good for the rock gardens.
Easy clip in/out
Shed mud easily
Zero maintenance

Cons:
Heavy

Mike679

Time Alium

After close to 10 years on SPDs I made the switch to Time Aliums (the real cheap ones) about a year ago and love them.

Pros:
-Smooth and consistent clip-in clip-out
-Durable
-Soild feeling connection - very rare to unintentionally disengage
-Generally don't eject your foot if underside hits a rock or other obstacle
-They make a cool "thud" sound when you clip in

Cons:
-Heavy (if you're worried about weight you could go for the higher-end models)
-Not adjustable (again - mine are the cheapo-ones - the newer higher end models are adjustable). I don't mind the lack of adjustability, but some people do.

Mike

scalpel6

Pedals

Currently riding:
Mountain
07 XTR Pedals:
They made the best pedal even better. Soild feel with excellent mud clearance .

Road
Speedplay Zero Titanium
Fixed or float, your choice.
Dual-sided for easy, no-look engagement.
Choice of fixed or limited float that can be precisely micro-adjusted anywhere within a 0-15 degree range using inward rotation and outward rotation limit screws.
11.5 mm stack height for optimal power transfer (8.5 mm on 4-hole mounting).
Unbeatable cornering clearance: Stainless - 37 degrees; Titanium - 39 degrees.
Phenomenal light weight:
Chrome-Moly pedals per pair - 210g
Stainless pedals per pair - 206g
Titanium pedals per pair -164g
Zero cleats per pair - 105g

Good Pedal but then again I have never ridden anything else. The only problem I have had is my feet hurt a bit durning long rides. That could be a number of things not just the pedals.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
shimano 525

pro- they take a serious beating. i smack them off of rocks, trees, roots, whatever. no issues.

cons- these are all i've ever used...along with my shimano 737s (which i bought new in i think 1992ish) so i have nothing to compare 'em to other than toe clips...which are NOT the bee's knees.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Btw ..the listing of the Onza pedal on the Voting ballot made me laugh. I think we threw out like 25 pairs when we last moved the shop. We really couldn't even give them away.

j

they were my first ever clipless pedal, and the reason i went to and rode platforms for the last 12 years... that and nike nguba shoes....

i still have the onza's. can't bare to part with them. good paperweights.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Mountain bike pedals: Shimano ?? with SH55 cleat for 13 years now. Plan to get the XTR's for my new bike.

Pro - I LOVE the multi release cleat, that no one else makes. :mad2: Never had a problem with mud, size of platform or float.... and did I mention that I love the multi release cleat.

Con - Pedals are heavy.

Road bike pedals: Keywin

Pro - super light, large platform for energy transfer, easy to get into, adjustable float from 0-6%. I use 0% with custom alignment and footbed and love it.

Cons - plastic snap fit makes them a little hard to get out of with little feet below 40 degrees.

IMO how your foot is attached to the bike is important, and not just the pedal. Make sure your shoes fit well too. If you have problems finding something that fits, consider a custom foot bed. It can make a big difference for some.

pixy;)

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
they were my first ever clipless pedal, and the reason i went to and rode platforms for the last 12 years... that and nike nguba shoes....

i still have the onza's. can't bare to part with them. good paperweights.

Someone once told me that O.N.Z.A. stood for:

Odious
Never releasing
Zillion times
Abusive to the body

jdog

Shop Keep
Mountain bike pedals: Shimano ?? with SH55 cleat for 13 years now. Plan to get the XTR's for my new bike.

Pro - I LOVE the multi release cleat, that no one else makes. :mad2: Never had a problem with mud, size of platform or float.... and did I mention that I love the multi release cleat.

Con - Pedals are heavy.

Road bike pedals: Keywin

Pro - super light, large platform for energy transfer, easy to get into, adjustable float from 0-6%. I use 0% with custom alignment and footbed and love it.

Cons - plastic snap fit makes them a little hard to get out of with little feet below 40 degrees.

IMO how your foot is attached to the bike is important, and not just the pedal. Make sure your shoes fit well too. If you have problems finding something that fits, consider a custom foot bed. It can make a big difference for some.

pixy;)

I just started selling the Aline Foot Alignment insoles..

Very cool stuff.

J_

D

DANSPANK

I have crank brothers candy Cs and egg beaters. I started with the egg beaters but really needed a platform for hill starts or keeping a foot on the peddle without being clicked in.

I haven't tried any others so can't comment.

D

DANSPANK

I'll vote for Crank Brothers again. I broken one of the splines (?) of the eggbeater bit from my Candy Cs. I called the Crank Bros. and explained that the issue but couldn't remember how old the pedals were - possibly 18months. They said "Send 'em in, son". So I did, last week.

I got home yesterday to find two practically brand new Candy Cs on my doorstep, with a little card from the Crank Bros. "Pedal Spa" checking off all of the treatments the pedals had been through - very cool. And i have two factory rebuilt pedals to boot!

Now if only Intense would follow that train of thought - they owe me a rear triangle! BASTARDS!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
alright, i switched to the time atac aliums, and absolutely love them. they've solved all of my issues with the crank bros pedals, including some i encountered after my original post. issues like durability and good cleat tension.

time atac alium:

pros-
very durable body/wings/bearings
very positive engagement
secure hold of the cleat.
predictable release.
excellent mud clearing
easilly self-servicable.

cons-
heavy(but the more expensive ones with composite/carbon bodies are alot lighter).

i'll be watching reviews on the new LOOK pedal with eager anticipation.

Top Bottom