PC vs Mac I know loaded ?

mac = leg shaving
these people will spin tales of reason why to go mac to justify why they shave their legs, win7 ftw.
the internet is down at work ;)

Last edited:
Have both. Mac in studio, PC in living room. On Mac now because, although always keep Norton up and running on PC, it's gotten more viruses, spyware, etc and now has crashed because of a missing or corrupt windows startup file. Nothing but problems, slow performance, constant upkeep and calls to India for various reasons. As for tech support on the mac I wouldn't know. Haven't needed it in 12 years.
Who makes these viruses and why? When PC works its great and cheap. Hope to get it up and running again soon. So much info, pics, files I need.

The only reason there are no Mac viruses is because they are not popular enough to justify people making them.

I have never had a virus on my PCs, but then again I love to tinker and replace parts and upgrade and keep all my antivirus/spyware programs updated. I have built all my own PCs from components, which makes it 1000 times cheaper, and you get a degree of customization that you can't get anywhere else.

Macs, if you are not playing games, into tinkering/upgrading and are willing to spend a little more and if you can deal with the OS, are the way to go for nontechnical users. They do have their hiccups, and from the ones I saw working repair at college, more difficult to fix than PCs, since the OS allows for less meddling. That being said...Applecare is amazing. Its a relatively small initial fee for a few years of protection, and if you break your comp, they will straight up give you a new one. My girlfriend brought her laptop to them in store with a huge dent in the housing from dropping it, and they took it, fixed it, and gave it back free of charge.

If you are getting viruses on your computer you are doing something wrong. I have never gotten one in my life, I have never run antivirus ever either. Uninstall norton or mcafee, that crap is garbage.
Windows has their own free one called Microsoft security essentials you can download off Microsoft.com, it's free and not a piece of crap like the others.

Every single iPhone jailbreak is proof of security holes in apple, and their inability to stop hackers.
They are only lucky that the jailbreakers haven't done anything malicious yet. A few of them where web page based, which is ultra scary.

The only reason there are no Mac viruses is because they are not popular enough to justify people making them.

That quote right there sums it up. There are plenty of clueless people that are now running Macs. Its only a matter of time before all of the Macs are running anti virus software.

You have to love the image they used with the article.

17233_large_Mac_Girl.png

Last edited:
I was just in Best Buy, do these things (macs) actually start at $1000 for a 13 in screen or is this Best Buy pricing?

Matty:

If you want truly unbiased advice, call Helena. She is a tech coordinator and manages a 50/50 mix of Apple and PC. She is also in charge of warranty/repair issues on both. She also uses a Macbook and a Dell Laptop on a daily basis.

Mac has it place and so does PC.

What is good about getting the Mac is you can run both PC and Mac OS at the same time.
They both have good and bad. I would go to the mac store and see what you like there, play with the systems. It will give you a good idea what you are buying. I have a client that runs both OS in his office. It works very nice...

first thing im going to do is point out that PC stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER (this drives me nuts that people dont consider macs to be PCs) there are three main categories of PC's, Windows, Mac, and Linux, i have used all 3 and prefer linux but windows is my #2 choice.

While I know the Apple products have their fans, I just don't see a reason for buying one unless you want a change, or you need the graphics/editing capabilities. People mention Dell as having a bad wrap, but that's because there are so many out there. There will always be X amount of defective product from any manufacturer.

That being said, you're going to have a bit of a learning curve on a new Windows machine anyway since Windows 7 is the latest OS. The basics are still the same, but there are some changes. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a computer with Windows Vista.

i have had a significant number of computers in my day, and dell has been about the best hardware problem wise (my parents had had software problems with theirs, but that was user error), to be honest most problems are user created, dell is one of the most popular brands out there, and as stated a certain number of bad units will come out from any brand. Having worked in IT for a couple of years i can comfortably say that we saw very few hardware problems with dells compared to hp, samsung ect.(we didnt work on macs, why bc they are such a royal PITA to work on), windows 7 is IMO great, i have been running it for well over a year now (i had it as a beta software), the learning curve on windows 7 is very small, you should have no problems adjusting to it if you are on a windows based pc already(my parents who are computer illiterate had no problem learning it).

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/17407...companies_jumping_on_the_mac_antivirus_train/

Man you guys are making me feel like a mac basher here. Seriously goto the mac store and give it a try. If you like it, then go for it but don't make a choice based on not so factual, outdated myths.

yup, as macs become more popular the hackers will start creating viruses for them, they dont write for macs now because the user base simply isnt there, they could put some extra time into writing that code to get around microsoft's security and get alot more data for their time.

I have never had a virus on my PCs, but then again I love to tinker and replace parts and upgrade and keep all my antivirus/spyware programs updated. I have built all my own PCs from components, which makes it 1000 times cheaper, and you get a degree of customization that you can't get anywhere else.

This is a very smart man, however i dont run antivirus software on my WINDOWS PC simply bc i am smart enough to know where NOT to go and what links NOT to click online, i have NEVER gotten a virus and (i cant say for sure of course) i probably never will. I am also going to comment that if you computer is slowing down its probably not windows fault, its most likely you internet browser and all the temp files it is saving, set it up to clear them out on a regular basis. The registry is an issue if you do alot of installing of stupid stuff, and then uninstall it, or make alot of settings changes (the registry holds EVERYTHING, unfortunately) my suggestion is to run ccleaner regularly to clean up the registry, simple, quick and effective, i have had computers run for years w/o being reformatted or slowing down simply bc i do these simple things.

ok all that said, my recommendation for the average user who just wants to browse the web and do word processing and maybe listen to music is to buy a windows PC and use all that extra money you would have otherwise spent on a mac to buy bike parts :D

Last edited:
first thing im going to do is point out that PC stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER (this drives me nuts that people dont consider macs to be PCs) there are three main categories of PC's, Windows, Mac, and Linux, i have used all 3 and prefer linux but windows is my #2 choice.
ok all that said, my recommendation for the average user who just wants to browse the web and do word processing and maybe listen to music is to buy a PC and use all that extra money you would have otherwise spent on a mac to buy bike parts :D

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Wow I did expect to get a lot of different opinions. Also knew that good advise would teeter both ways. Add my daughter to the mix and now my head is spinning.

So if I stay with PC or is it dell Linux etc. It's like the blue collar working mans computer. Money well spent.

or

Apple which seems to be trendy like BMW's, Abercrombie Finch, carbon fiber 29ers and being metro sexual (no offence). Money well spent?

Whats it all mean to me I still don't know :confused: I love/hate computers...

I dont regret spending money on my Mac... I regret spending money on my kids Dell desktops that I had to spend so much time trying to figure out what is infecting what and reading stupid manuals and reinstalling software and crawling in the walls like a rat to run ethernet cables and growing my Friar Tuck out so I can tear it off like velcro!

Wow I did expect to get a lot of different opinions. Also knew that good advise would teeter both ways. Add my daughter to the mix and now my head is spinning.

So if I stay with PC or is it dell Linux etc. It's like the blue collar working mans computer. Money well spent.

or

Apple which seems to be trendy like BMW's, Abercrombie Finch, carbon fiber 29ers and being metro sexual (no offence). Money well spent?

Whats it all mean to me I still don't know :confused: I love/hate computers...

If you like the Mac and are going to get a really sweet deal, then get the Mac.
You can set up a VT windows system, its not that hard, and then you can have both. You can Hack the OS on a Laptop that is done there, but you are doing so on your own. No help from Apple support. Not saying it can not be done. But in your case I would make sure you would have the support at the apple store. They have classes that are free and the geeks there are all ways looking to help.

I like Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, do not bother with 32 OS anymore waist of money at this point..

Like I said before go to the store and play. Its Free why not go do that.
Then make a the call... IMO

EDIT: hes not worth my time and effort to correct

You missed the point.

First, you say that they're all PCs, and it drives you nuts when people don't differentiate properly.

Then, you go and say to buy a PC.

His quote is from a movie. But you take the pie in the face on that one, without question.

You mean both windows and mac os. Technically, you could do the same on non-apple hardware as well.

http://www.hackintosh.com/

I wasn't going to bring "The Hackintosh" up because it's a gray area from a legal stand point considering under the Apple License Agreement it states that you are not allowed to run OSX on non Apple hardware. It's obviously not supported by Apple....lol

That being said.....Hackintoshing is quite fun but VERY time consuming and not for the faint at heart. Updating a Hackintosh is VERY un-nerving :D
Also keep in mind, Not all hardware is supported By Mac OS. In order to build a Hackintosh You MUST start with compatible hardware!

I'm pretty sure Matty wasn't looking for that kind of fun when he asked the question. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom