NJMTB Fest. aka JORBA Jam 2022

Getting to spend some time rubbing elbows with Mary Beth, @Mitch, @jmanic and @onetracker among many others was a real treat, @Frank 's presence made it really extra special though.

A great many thanks to @Bleeder, @V-Dub and again Mary Beth for putting up such awesome show year after year, I'm sure there's many more I forget but it's just due to my own ignorance and forgetfulness.

Let's not forget @KenS MC-extraordinaire! Always nice to meet you.

Last but nor least, I think a great thank you should also go to @pixychick and Art, as well as James and Tom, for making Ringwood the trail system that it is, making the whole show possible. I was able to steer a rogue splinter of the RGMTB group toward the new reroute toward the end of the ride, and the grins on their face was the biggest testament to this dedicated group of individuals that year after year put so much time and love into building new trails as much as inspiring and training the volunteers.

Looking forward to next year!

Echoing what many have already mentioned here. What an awesome weekend. Took Friday off to make the trek north from proper SJ to get the riding started. @KenS and I met up in the lot at Jungle Habitat, which for me would be my first time. Knowing that we were meeting up with @V-Dub to be our tour guide, I was excited. I've had the pleasure of riding with Dave previously at Wawayanda, but J.H. is his spot, so I knew we'd be seeing all the goods. Also got to meet and ride with @Stef. Very cool seeing the new trail being built there. Met @Bleeder for the 1st time, as he was at the build site, and he joined us for the 2nd half of the ride.
20220923_141158.jpg

This spot was no joke for a SJ flatlander like myself. However, rocks don't scare me. Photo credit: @KenS
42986.jpeg

Post ride we talked in the lot while the temps started to drop. Made the trip from J.H. to Shepherds Lake and set up camp before dark.
20220924_105037.jpg

20220924_105107.jpg

Ken and I then huddled up behind the vehicles trying to escape the stiff wind and kept adding layers until we couldn't take it anymore. I retreated to my heated space inside the camper complete with full kitchen, hot water, and bathroom.

Morning view of the lake a little later than the pic Ken posted.
20220924_103753.jpg

Saturday after the morning warm-up, DaVW and DiVW joined us for the ride over to Art's house to then continue onto Sterling. I've done this ride before and couldn't wait to get there. Was introduced to Steve and Darlene, then we set out. Early highlight of the ride for someone like me from SJ was the spotting of 2 black bear cubs hanging on a tree adjacent to the trail the 7 of us were climbing. Then to hear Art shouting, "Keep moving!", not that any of us had stopped, but... Saw the new trail being built and then got some pics of Ken and Dave dropping down these rocks after Dillon showed us how it's done.
20220924_150443.jpg
20220924_150520.jpg

20220924_150520(0).jpg

Finished up the ride back to Ringwood, got some dinner and beverages, and some time around the campfire. Talked with @onetracker about my camper. @Jefflenosky showed up and there was some Giant/Eagles talk as @robcleary was sitting there in his E-A-G-L-E-S chair. There was other talk about the pork roll/Taylor ham debate. Is Central a real location in NJ? And some other subjects that are better left unspoken. If you were there, you will know what I'm talking about.

Sunday morning, slowly made my way over to the festival to meet up with DVW again, for my 3rd day of being guided in another unfamiliar to me trail system. This would be the 9am Advanced Ride. Good morning chat with @Frank and @UtahJoe. Had a quick talk with @jmanic about beer and weigh-loss. Coincidentally, there was 3 of us signed up for the ride, and we're all named John. There was John B, John D (me) and John G. Got to ride watching John G and Dave put on a rock riding clinic which inspired me to try things out of my comfort zone. Actually didn't want it to end.

Got back to the festival area, rolled around to check out the vendor tents. Made it just in time to order a burrito from the Broritos truck before the line got too long. Was joined by @Norm, @Kirt, @UtahJoe and @MadisonDan. Wasn't much talking until the burritos were finished. Heard something mentioned about @Stef and cookies. In passing on my way back to camp, she politely offered, and I gladly took a few. Watched @KenS do what he's good at, rallying up the NICA kids for a ride while I was saying goodbye. Another quick chat with @Dominique and then it was time to go pack up and try to beat the storm home. Unfortunately it started raining really hard before I made it to Exit 7, but we need the rain.

Last time I attended a Jorbafest was Sept '19, so looking forward to coming north again sooner than later.

Last edited:
Echoing what many have already mentioned here. What an awesome weekend. Took Friday off to make the trek north from proper SJ to get the riding started. @KenS and I met up in the lot at Jungle Habitat, which for me would be my first time. Knowing that we were meeting up with @V-Dub to be our tour guide, I was excited. I've had the pleasure of riding with Dave previously at Wawayanda, but J.H. is his spot, so I knew we'd be seeing all the goods. Also got to meet and ride with @Stef. Very cool seeing the new trail being built there. @Bleeder joined us for the 2nd half of the ride.
View attachment 197035

This spot was no joke for a SJ flatlander like myself. However, rocks don't scare me. Photo credit: @KenS
View attachment 197036

Post ride we talked in the lot while the temps started to drop. Made the trip from J.H. to Shepherds Lake and set up camp before dark.
View attachment 197037
View attachment 197038

Ken and I then huddled up behind the vehicles trying to escape the stiff wind and kept adding layers until we couldn't take it anymore. I retreated to my heated space inside the camper complete with full kitchen, hot water, and bathroom.

View attachment 197039

Saturday after the morning warm-up, DaVW and DiVW joined us for the ride over to Art's house to then continue onto Sterling. I've done this ride before and couldn't wait to get there. Was introduced to Steve and Darlene, then we set out. Early highlight of the ride for someone like me from SJ was the spotting of 2 black bear cubs hanging on a tree adjacent to the trail the 7 of us were climbing. Then to hear Art shouting, "Keep moving!", not that any of us had stopped, but... Saw the new trail being built and then got some pics of Ken and Dave dropping down these rocks after Dillon showed us how it's done.
View attachment 197042View attachment 197044
View attachment 197046

Finished up the ride back to Ringwood, got some dinner and beverages, and some time around the campfire. Talked with @onetracker about my camper. @Jefflenosky showed up and there was some Giant/Eagles talk as @robcleary was sitting there in his E-A-G-L-E-S chair. There was other talk about the pork roll/Taylor ham debate. Is Central a real location in NJ? And some other subjects that will be left unspoken about. If you were there, you will know what I'm talking about.

Sunday morning, slowly made my way over to the festival to meet up with DVW again, for my 3 day of being guided in another unfamiliar to me trail system. This would be the 9am Advanced Ride. Good morning chat with @Frank and @UtahJoe. Had a quick talk with @jmanic about beer and weigh-loss. Coincidentally, there was 3 of us signed up for the ride, and we're all named John. There was John B, John D (me) and John G. Got to ride watching John G and Dave put on a rock riding clinic which inspired me to try things out of my comfort zone. Actually didn't want it to end.

Got back to the festival area, rolled around to check out the vendor tents, then just in time to order a burrito from the Broritos truck before the line got too long. Was joined by @Norm, @Kirt, @UtahJoe and @MadisonDan. Wasn't much talking until the burritos were finished. Heard something mentioned about @Stef and cookies, so on my way back to camp, she politely offered, and I gladly took a few. Watched @KenS do what he's good at, rallying up the NICA kids for a ride while I was saying goodbye. Another quick chat with @Dominique and then it was time to go pack up and try to beat the storm home. Unfortunately it started raining before I made it to Exit 7, but we need the rain.

Last time I attended a Jorbafest was Sept '19. so looking forward to coming north again sooner than later.
Good to meet you!

Finished up the ride back to Ringwood, got some dinner and beverages, and some time around the campfire. Talked with @onetracker about my camper. @Jefflenosky showed up and there was some Giant/Eagles talk as @robcleary was sitting there in his E-A-G-L-E-S chair. There was other talk about the pork roll/Taylor ham debate. Is Central a real location in NJ? And some other subjects that are better left unspoken. If you were there, you will know what I'm talking about.

3-0 babyyyyy 😎

I think I passed you in that downpour on 287. I guess my bike needed a wash anyway lol

Echoing what many have already mentioned here. What an awesome weekend. Took Friday off to make the trek north from proper SJ to get the riding started. @KenS and I met up in the lot at Jungle Habitat, which for me would be my first time. Knowing that we were meeting up with @V-Dub to be our tour guide, I was excited. I've had the pleasure of riding with Dave previously at Wawayanda, but J.H. is his spot, so I knew we'd be seeing all the goods. Also got to meet and ride with @Stef. Very cool seeing the new trail being built there. Met @Bleeder for the 1st time, as he was at the build site, and he joined us for the 2nd half of the ride.
View attachment 197035

View attachment 197036

View attachment 197037
View attachment 197038

View attachment 197039

View attachment 197046

Sunday morning, slowly made my way over to the festival to meet up with DVW again, for my 3rd day of being guided in another unfamiliar to me trail system. This would be the 9am Advanced Ride. Good morning chat with @Frank and @UtahJoe. Had a quick talk with @jmanic about beer and weigh-loss. Coincidentally, there was 3 of us signed up for the ride, and we're all named John. There was John B, John D (me) and John G. Got to ride watching John G and Dave put on a rock riding clinic which inspired me to try things out of my comfort zone. Actually didn't want it to end.

Got back to the festival area, rolled around to check out the vendor tents. Made it just in time to order a burrito from the Broritos truck before the line got too long. Was joined by @Norm, @Kirt, @UtahJoe and @MadisonDan. Wasn't much talking until the burritos were finished. Heard something mentioned about @Stef and cookies. In passing on my way back to camp, she politely offered, and I gladly took a few. Watched @KenS do what he's good at, rallying up the NICA kids for a ride while I was saying goodbye. Another quick chat with @Dominique and then it was time to go pack up and try to beat the storm home. Unfortunately it started raining really hard before I made it to Exit 7, but we need the rain.

Last time I attended a Jorbafest was Sept '19, so looking forward to coming north again sooner than later.
That setup is awesome! I can't believe I didn't see it when I took a quick ride to the lake on saturday to see who had arrived for the camping event, you must have been still riding Sterling. I would have noticed and asked you about a million questions about it. A little disappointed I didn't get to say hi to a fellow rogue SSOD member (since we were both riding gears yesterday)...good times.

That setup is awesome! I can't believe I didn't see it when I took a quick ride to the lake on saturday to see who had arrived for the camping event, you must have been still riding Sterling. I would have noticed and asked you about a million questions about it. A little disappointed I didn't get to say hi to a fellow rogue SSOD member (since we were both riding gears yesterday)...good times.
We were there Friday evening. I guess it was hidden really well, as it was there while we were riding Sterling. Would have been glad to answer all your questions.

So, this weekend @Mrs.G & I went up to the Hudson Valley to celebrate 30 years of connubial bliss, otherwise I’d have been in attendance Sunday.

Just wanted to say how much I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s recaps of the weekend. More evidence of the great community we have here.

Getting to spend some time rubbing elbows with Mary Beth, @Mitch, @jmanic and @onetracker among many others was a real treat, @Frank 's presence made it really extra special though.

A great many thanks to @Bleeder, @V-Dub and again Mary Beth for putting up such awesome show year after year, I'm sure there's many more I forget but it's just due to my own ignorance and forgetfulness.

Let's not forget @KenS MC-extraordinaire! Always nice to meet you.

Last but nor least, I think a great thank you should also go to @pixychick and Art, as well as James and Tom, for making Ringwood the trail system that it is, making the whole show possible. I was able to steer a rogue splinter of the RGMTB group toward the new reroute toward the end of the ride, and the grins on their face was the biggest testament to this dedicated group of individuals that year after year put so much time and love into building new trails as much as inspiring and training the volunteers.

Looking forward to next year!
Leo it's always a pleasure to see you and we have to carve out a ride too. It was extra cool to meet Donna. +1 on the trio of rockstars who get together around the lake once a year and somehow forget that they said "no way" at some point the previous year.

View attachment 197035

View attachment 197036

View attachment 197037
View attachment 197038

View attachment 197039

View attachment 197046

This post is one of the things I love about mtbnj - sort of what social media was before people outside of your actual network began taking an interest. These recaps enhance the experience and give the reader a glimpse deeper into it. So cool.

Indeed, and he downplayed the fact that he had heat pretty well on Friday eve when I crawled into my tent.
Great right up @JDurk . You didn't miss a beat and got the Grand tour from NJ's best bikers and builders. People would pay for that kinda guided tour.
But as to what Ken mentioned the only thing that stuck out from that whole great write up was that you had heat, lol.

I've been to about a ton of Jorbafests and every one of them leaves me amazed at what a great community we have here. I try to show up early to help out where I can and it's always the most chill set up. Everything just falls into place and starts running on time like clockwork. Mary Beth has this amazing leadership on site and everyone just does their thing. They have all been mentioned and I don't want to leave anyone out so I won't name them but they are amazing.
And in my heart @Frank will always be Mr. JORBA and I am lucky to have him on the Pork Roll side of town so I can give him some South Jersey love.

Back
Top Bottom