NJMTB Fest. aka JORBA Jam 2022

Yay group rides.
Legit advanced intermediate, little man out front dads owns a bike shop. Had bike and skillz to prove it.
20220925_102335.jpg

Great weekend, glad I got to meet some of y'all. And thanks again John for the breakfast this morning!

Attachments

• PXL_20220924_200317724.jpg
    PXL_20220924_200317724.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220925_011029890.jpg
    PXL_20220925_011029890.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20220925_133612752.jpg
    PXL_20220925_133612752.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20220925_133720277.jpg
    PXL_20220925_133720277.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 79
Good times....
I had a great day seeing all my northern peeps again!! I was also on the coolest ride of all, the @UtahJoe Mustang ride….much giggles and it left me with a shit eating grin. thank you Joe!!
View attachment 196926
That was awesome Frank, glad we made this happen....and bonus, I made it home and beat the rain!

Good times!

I also got to take bob around Ringwood for the first time. We did some of the white connector, then took the race trail out to skylands....turned around there as I thought that was as good as it was going to get lol
1664143618193.png

Burritos!
1664143653194.png

Attachments

• 1664143299492.png
    1664143299492.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 56
Great event! Nice work JORBA!

Thanks to Mark for leading the MTBNJ advanced ride. Excellent route until some guy named ‘Icky’ took over and told us how he built all the trails. I guess He did pretty good too.

My buddy and I challenged ourselves with this ride. Glad we did! First time on Warm Puppy and it delivered.

Looking forward to the Chimney Rock group ride.

Good times....

That was awesome Frank, glad we made this happen....and bonus, I made it home and beat the rain!

Good times!

I also got to take bob around Ringwood for the first time. We did some of the white connector, then took the race trail out to skylands....turned around there as I thought that was as good as it was going to get lol
View attachment 196929

Burritos!
View attachment 196930
Hated to miss this today. Burritos. And a possible ride in the UtahStang. Bummer.

Glad you all had a blast. .

Great time. My first venture into the land of rocks and boulders .

Definitely not the same as central Jersey. My thighs are on fire 😆

My Marlin 7 was repeatedly asking to go back home. 😁. I may need a full suspension for those types of shenanigans.

The beef burrito was bitch'n 😜

Last edited:
Great time yesterday, did the 9:45 ride led by Dillon. Kudos for a great loop! I need to get up here more often from the mythical land of Central Jersey.
Expo area was good, lots of swag!!!View attachment 196961
Second that, Dillon's ride was awesome. Got a good taste of Ringwood chunk without going too far over my head. Definitely gotta check out more North Jersey riding soon!

My weekend was pretty great. @JDurk and I set out from below the Mason-Dixon on Friday morning for a early afternoon arrival at Jungle. We met with a spectacular group of folks (@V-Dub, @Stef and @Bleeder) for durk's first visit there. JH has always been one of my favorite JORBA trail systems to speak about; the time invested by the crew on trails like boulderdash, the mystique surrounding the history, the threats over the years to sell/lease the land, etc. all makes for a great conversation. The park really showcases what can be done in a relatively small footprint of land when you have passionate folks coming together. That being said, I often ask myself while riding there why exactly I chose to ride this ridiculously technical place. It requires full concentration, and rewards those crazy tough people who put in the work to learn the lines and techniques specific to riding rocks.

@V-Dub @Bleeder @JDurk
20220923_151623.jpg

@V-Dub described this section of trail with a "there is a little left turn move at the tree then it's smooth sailing" or something like that. Ohhh those little moves that avoid a certain fall to hell, yay!
20220923_151550.jpg

@V-Dub on yet another play spot. The "up" after this was so difficult, but he is well versed in making it look easy.
VideoCapture_20220924-101229.jpg

20220923_160652_1.gif

@Stef rides Wildcat on the regular, one of the other places where I often ask myself why I like rocks. Stef loves rocks and giving me a bunch of shiz for stealing her campsite at cranks years ago, which I vehemently deny!
20220923_150425.jpg

We also checked out the incredible work that King Trail Alliance is doing on the Stags project, NJ's first public adaptive MTB trail. Kudos to @Jeb and the crew. This will be special when it opens.
20220923_150349.jpg

@JDurk
VideoCapture_20220924-101322.jpg

After a solid post-ride parking lot session we made our way to Shepard's Lake to set up camp.
20220923_181038.jpg

20220923_214325.jpg

It was windy enough that we decided against a fire, and turned in early when fighting the "feels like" temps in the high 30's got old. Thank goodness for 0 degree bags.

Last edited:
Saturday morning's sunrise was special, with a sliver of moon, wispy clouds and a brisk temperature giving a fall vibe.
20220924_060305.jpg

After fueling with some coffee thx to Durks, I set off for Jessie's Kettle for a Taylor Ham Egg & Cheese, which I enjoyed immensely. This is the place where I once mistakenly used the proper south jersey description for NJ's finest meat, and barely made it out alive.

We saddled up after some bike maintenance and fest preps with Ringwood to Sterling on the agenda. In slight contrast to Friday, this is one of my all-time favorite NJ rides. Ringwood has a bit of everything, and is so expansive. I would put this ride against anything in the region, it is that good. It's also another shining example of what is possible when folks get together with a common goal to build enjoyable trails.

@V-Dub @JDurk Dillon and I (WTH is Dillon's name on here, something about cars I think?! =p) set off from the lake. Descending down to the NY border here is really wonderful, and I found myself at complete peace, in love with the world and the ride. Speed, power, flow mixing with scenery thanks to trails built right by amazing folks. 30 seconds after that euphoria, my left crank arm stripped a bit, bringing me right back to reality. Thanks Dillon for the wizardry in helping me get back up and running, and thanks reality for trying to kill my Ringwood buzz. After the fix we soon met up with Art, Steve and Darlene over the border in NY. We stopped and took in the mines in Sterling, sessioned slabs, rollers and alt lines and had wonderful conversation among friends old and new.

Dillon on a fun multi-roll line with @V-Dub looking on. I loved this one, it is much steeper than photos show, and had a nice g-out at the bottom that my Pike ate for brekkie.
20220924_150324.jpg

I took a short vid of the water reflecting off of the rock face here. I would dig chilling here all day with a book, so peaceful.
20220924_140717.jpg

Dillon and the new Trek Top Fuel, which I was really impressed with. It blurs some xc/trail lines for sure.
20220924_154343.jpg

We also checked out the progress on the new trail being built by the NYNJTC in partnership with JORBA and IMBA chapter PalisadesMTB. Art said "this one is a bit of a departure from what we have up here" and boy was he right. I chuckled as we hit the first descent and said, "ya built a flow trail in North jerz bahahaha" or something like that. It is going to be really great when finished, and as flowy as can be in this part of the world. We chatted with and thanked the Americorp/NYNJTC folks out there on a Saturday sweating to build trail, then backtracked to the main loop to continue our ride. Special shout out to Brian's rock work up there - wow. It gets better every time I visit.
strava8817736698966770175.jpg

We returned to camp fulfilled from an amazing day of riding and welcomed the folks arriving to camp for the fest. It was great meeting @robcleary and some other new families, and seeing old friends/NICA folks camping. We built a fire and talked story into the night with lots of laughs.

Last edited:
Sunday morning I found myself awake at 5am to the sound of drizzle hitting fabric. I shrugged it off with some positive thoughts for a good weather day, and managed to fall back asleep. Sometime soon after, a pop-up shelf inside of the tent shifted from wind, and my nightrider light fell onto my chest. In my half-asleep state, my brain processed this as a chipmunk or some small critter jumping on my chest. I jumped out of the cot so fast it surprised me, and proceeded to swat the light across the tent before fully waking up and realizing that it was just a light. Embarrassing to recall, but it did a great job waking me up.

Special thanks to Jon Sherwood for serving up a killer breakfast spread for the campers out of his RV in the parking lot. Pork Roll Taylor Ham sammiches, fruit, muffins, coffee and a healthy dose of smacktalking made for a great start to the day.

Breakfast Sherwood style
20220925_072625.jpg

MB, one of the fest's main organizers and long time JORBA organizer. NJ NICA & JORBA superstar.
20220925_094516.jpg

20220925_094523.jpg

One of the morning advanced rides, @V-Dub & three Johns with an Anne photo bomb
20220925_090838.jpg

@Frank about to give a wookie-hug to our old Allaire friend Tony. Frank is a JORBA hall of famer and inspires me every day. Different thread worthy stuff here, but suffice to say seeing him in RW made me incredibly happy.
20220925_093450.jpg

Philly legend and all around awesome person Anne with NJ legends and all around awesome people @pixychick and Art.
20220925_093624.jpg

Zoe rocking a new helmet thanks to some awesome sponsors
20220925_121445.jpg

NHU?!
20220925_121533.jpg

Special thanks to Jon Sherwood for serving up a killer breakfast spread for the campers out of his RV in the parking lot. Pork Roll Taylor Ham sammiches, fruit, muffins, coffee and a healthy dose of smacktalking made for a great start to the day.

Breakfast Sherwood style
View attachment 197001

Definitely the MVP. Much needed coffee as I was heading over into the festival area, offered me anything I could want even as a stranger. Best community.

Jealous of his trip upcoming to California and back.

The rest of my day involved some half-assed announcing of rides as the only JORBA volunteer at the fest who is ok with speaking into a microphone. I checked out the amazing setups from the vendors, caught up with so many great folks, and then had the honor of riding with peeps on an "intro to NJ NICA" ride in the morning, and NJ NICA ride in the afternoon. Huge thanks to @moose35 for leading from the sweep position on both rides - you rock Tom! Dillon also jumped in to lead NICA ride #2, and we were stoked to have a good representation of coaches and parents along. Shawn, Doug, Hans..too many to name all but thank you!

Random stoke from the next gen of NJ mountain bikers:
20220925_132955.jpg
20220925_133038.jpg

20220925_133041.jpg

VideoCapture_20220926-085451.jpg

20220925_135314.jpg

Anne is super smooth on rocks, the kids took note!
VideoCapture_20220926-085423.jpg

A combo of rides which took triple in elapsed time to happen thanks to a really high fun factor
strava5548583919662895104.jpg

Riding with kids is pretty amazing. They are full of stoke and energy. We spoke about trail building, maintenance and advocacy mixed in with some coaching and encouragement. One conversation in particular resonated with me, after asking some of the group who knew why there were orange flags in the woods. The responses were all correct, "they mean new trail coming" or "They are building more trail." I then asked who "they" were? "JORBA!" Then "Well, who is JORBA" and the responses ranged from "you are" to "the Ringwood crew" and everything in between. We took the opportunity to share with the kids that though JORBA may be all of that, what truly makes JORBA is "we."

We have a wonderful community with common goals, and we often overlook how special it is. We have so much in common, so much to celebrate in a state blessed with amazing trails.

After cleaning up the fest site we headed out to dinner, an annual tradition. No photos from dinner as it was all about camaraderie and conversation, but when I clicked the last pic of the day in the parking lot I felt overwhelmed with appreciation for the selfless dedication to our community from the organizers of the event. I feel so fortunate to call them friends.
20220925_191854.jpg

I will leave the official thanks to vendors, sponsors, retailers and friends to our fest organizers, as I do not want to inadvertently leave anyone out. Suffice to say that it warms my heart to see the industry support for JORBA and NICA in and around our state. Please spend local and support those who support our community.

Thanks for reading and for being a part of the NJ mountain bike community. We may not be the most polished state in the union, but we are pretty spoiled with opportunity to ride amazing trails. I look forward to the future thanks to the kids enjoying our sport and adults pitching in to show them all about it.

Back
Top Bottom