Need a lot of suggestions

MTBTyler

Im making a list of things I want for X-mas. My parents dont have all the money in the world so try to keep the suggestions decent but not crappy.

Computer- I heard cateye is a really good brand, I want something simple odometer/speed, top speed average speed, thats about it.

Shorts- I found out I need riding shorts after a 15 mile ride at 6mile. IM NOT the type who would where very tight pants!! I would if they fit under a pair of pants or shorts. I would like some thing with alot of padding.

Shoes-comfortable and durable Brand? price?

seat post- im on my second one, I keep bending them. I have a kalloy right now and it has a slight bend to it. Im not worried about weight just strength.

lights- I want to go night riding and want to be able to see (im not that hardcore) helmet and bike lights?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Computer- I heard cateye is a really good brand, I want something simple odometer/speed, top speed average speed, thats about it.

-I bought a 20 dollar cyclosport and it does all the things i need it to. odo, speed, avg, total distance. never had any issues with it and seems pretty accurate.

Shorts- I found out I need riding shorts after a 15 mile ride at 6mile. IM NOT the type who would where very tight pants!! I would if they fit under a pair of pants or shorts. I would like some thing with alot of padding.

eh, dont waste your money. ive been riding with regular mesh shorts, dont see it changing :p

are you going clipless? if so, Jay at halters has a whole supply of sidi shoes. he sold me a pair and im very happy with them. walkable and still feel good on the pedal.

if you arent clipless, i always wore a set of sb dunks when i had flat pedals :)
seat post- im on my second one, I keep bending them. I have a kalloy right now and it has a slight bend to it. Im not worried about weight just strength.

i ended up with an easton seat post from a friend, ive never seen a bent post, but i also dont consider myself a crazy rider :p

lights- I want to go night riding and want to be able to see (im not that hardcore) helmet and bike lights?

a good light will cost your $200+. i borrowed a light setup from a friend, not sure of the brand. mandi bought one and hasnt used it yet. ill let you know how it works.
I am in no way an expert, but this an opinion from a 2 year rider :)

monteverest

i second that on bike shorts - nice luxury but if you're not into shaving weight or racing or riding over 3 hours, get a better saddle. i bought a Serfas Performance RX saddle 2 years ago and its the best comfort investment I've made on the bike.

If you decide to get baggy shorts, look at the Sugoi Gustov - fantastic liner, padding, and wicking shell.

VanDbtRiver

get a cheap planet bike computer or none at all. i went thru 2 nice ones this season, they either break or get lost.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
you dont need all this gear to have a good time. spend more time riding before investing :)

MTBTyler

you dont need all this gear to have a good time. spend more time riding before investing :)
I do ride every weekend but I want a more comfortable ride so I can do it more often, my butt still hurts from saturday

VanDbtRiver

you are going to have discomfort regardless. bike shorts w/ shammy's give you the assurance that you are not bashing your prostate into chowder.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if you're going to ride any duration of XC you're really going to want a pair of cycling shorts. you don't have to spend a ton of money but these are truly one of the "you get what you pay for" type deals.

jay at halters is having a super-secret sale on friday where all his summer gear is way marked down. stop by and get shorts. i've only worn my matchy-matchy ballerina outfit once and that was for a race. otherwise i wear baggies over 'em.

and, not that you need a thompson seat post, but i broke my stock deal and i can't imagine that this thing will break. ever. picked it up used here for like $30.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I find riding with padded shorts way better. Maybe it is a weight thing, but at 185 lbs it is a very rewarding experience. My favorite are the Fox Ranger shorts; they aren't too long / too short are very durable and can be found for around $50. Oakley stopped making clothing last year or so and because of such all their clothes including mountain bike gear has been selling super cheap. Was glad i had a chance to stock up on the Oakley stuff while it was around because the stuff i got seems pretty well made. There is still some Oakley stuff floating around the net. Backcountry and Backcountry Outlet has some still, i would also just search around the comparison shopping sites like froogle.com. If you go with Oakley shorts know that they tend to run on the big side.

Some other good gift ideas, if you don't have them:
-Camelbak (you most likely have one, if you don't bump it to the top of your list). One with pockets for tubes, etc would be ideal.
-If you get wrist / hand pain while riding a pair of Ergon grips. will end that.
-A good multi-tool that includes a chain tool.
-Full finger gloves. After a helmet the most important piece of protection.
-Spare derailer hanger/s
-SRAM power links

If you ever snap your chain, you use the chain tool to pop off the broken part of the chain and use a power link to fix the chain. I'm not really bike repair savvy and this process is easier and faster than fixing a flat.

If you ever bend your rear derailer on something and bend the hanger you can replace it with a spare and be rolling again in ten minutes.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I find riding with padded shorts way better. Maybe it is a weight thing, but at 185 lbs it is a very rewarding experience. My favorite are the Fox Ranger shorts; they aren't too long / too short are very durable and can be found for around $50. Oakley stopped making clothing last year or so and because of such all their clothes including mountain bike gear has been selling super cheap. Was glad i had a chance to stock up on the Oakley stuff while it was around because the stuff i got seems pretty well made. There is still some Oakley stuff floating around the net. Backcountry and Backcountry Outlet has some still, i would also just search around the comparison shopping sites like froogle.com. If you go with Oakley shorts know that they tend to run on the big side.

Some other good gift ideas, if you don't have them:
-Camelbak (you most likely have one, if you don't bump it to the top of your list). One with pockets for tubes, etc would be ideal.
-If you get wrist / hand pain while riding a pair of Ergon grips. will end that.
-A good multi-tool that includes a chain tool.
-Full finger gloves. After a helmet the most important piece of protection.
-Spare derailer hanger/s
-SRAM power links

If you ever snap your chain, you use the chain tool to pop off the broken part of the chain and use a power link to fix the chain. I'm not really bike repair savvy and this process is easier and faster than fixing a flat.

If you ever bend your rear derailer on something and bend the hanger you can replace it with a spare and be rolling again in ten minutes.

+1 on most of brian's suggestions

- I really dig the fox ranger shorts and oakley jerseys (can't beat 23 bux on chainlove)
- hydration pack is super useful and convenient (some would argue otherwise)
- tool and spare parts are a must - seems stupid when you carry 'em around for a year and never use 'em, but then the one time you do, you'll thank yourself for having them (plus, carrying the extra weight makes you stronger - consider it a training exercise :))

I have the cateye wireless computer - has all the the basic functions you're looking for and is relatively cheap (and from numerous trips OTB, seems to be pretty rugged, too).

ItsWin

As far as seatposts, Thomsons and Easton EA70's are probably the toughest out there. 2-bolt is still the best way to go, in my opinion.

bonefishjake is totally right about the shorts. There's a big difference between $40 shorts and $70 shorts. If you ride long distances, that difference is well worthwhile. Try to find stuff on sale, of course.

try the website pricepoint.com, or nashbar. They seem to me to br really cheap. New old stock if there kinda thing. I picked up panaracer xc and have them on both my bikes and love them. Super sticky, and hard to puncture at RV. Bending seat posts, holy &$%@ i've never bent one and i usto bmw alot, what are you doing with your seat posts lol. Shoes, i picked up a pair of sneaux for flat pedal riding, they seem to be the best and i've been through a lot of kicks. Bike computers are over_rated in my opinion I"ve broken two already really not worth it bike shorts are really comfy and worth i think

what about a camelback?
a repair kit for when your in the middle of the world?
multi tool?
new grips made a huge diference in the feel of my ride
new pedals

MST.ESQ

I will be the third person to recommend the Fox Ranger short. Guess that means you must put it on your list...

BTW... I forgot my camelbak one day and found that the side pockets on the Fox shorts are just big enough to fit a standard size bottle of Poland Spring... Nice...

Mare

First, check on ebay for everything. Prices I will give you are based on what you can get it for, not retail. No, LBSs don't like me at all.

Cateye Micro Wireless - about $30 - $35.

Shorts - I think you should try some on and see what is comfy.

Shoes - I currently have Diadora Geko. I paid $40 for them at Campmor about 3 years ago. I beat them up and they are still pretty good.

Seat post - Find a used Thompson - ebay or on here when someone is selling their stuff.

Lights - I am not a good person to give advice on lights. I have Mawri cheap ones. They do the job, but I recommend riding with others with lights with these lights.

MTBTyler

thank you all for the suggestions, looks like im going to check out fox shorts and cateye wireless.

Top Bottom