my public statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
PSA & training blog

well, i've been told that until you actually say something out loud, you haven't truly committed yourself to it. well, at least that's what chris carmichael said in the recent issue of bicycling (sorry shagzz, you were second). so, i'm going to put my money where my mouth is:

my goal, by this summer, is to rip heythorp's legs off on the needle climb at KVSP. on my SS.

ok, so i raised the bar even for myself. but there it is.

let the games begin.

Last edited:
D

DANSPANK

Just out of interest, what would be a good climb-time for that hill? And whats the best trail to use at KVSP to get to it?

There's a lot of people that have posted about getting more committed to training and maybe that climb could be used to gauge how well people are improving.

Nobody has to post a time unless they want and since we're on full sussys and ss bikes we wouldn't be looking to compare competitively anyway.

But I may have a jersey I could donate to the "king of the hill!"

heythorp

I dont know any of my times, i could share gearing with you...

One thing to remember is people climb this hill from different points. So for what we are talking about and what others might be talking about could be very different.

We climb it this way..

From the Goodale Lot, cross the road and go through the "gate" go down the gravel and at the bottom of the hill make a left into the field, ride along the pond and then you make a right and start the climb. Its really steep the first 100 feet or so....

Some people climb this hill all the way on the fire road, others climb it the way we go down(many short steep efforts but more recovery areas) and I met one guy there that climbs the "gut" i think he called it. I have gone down the way he climbs it but i cant imagine doing it the way he does. Very very steep and technical.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Good for you jake - you are forunate that the ramifications of your public declaration do not come with the penalty of eating Sean's beard. However, while you used Carmichael's quote, you would still be hiding in the sanctum if I didn't prod you.

Great idea Dan & Norm!

4 routes starting from left to right looking up at the needle:

1 - The red trail immediately to the right of the fire road (the route we usually descend);
2 - the fire road;
3 - the steep washed out portion of the yellow trail immediately to the left of the fire road;
4 - the yellow trail as described in heythorp's post

I'd say all but route 3 are viable options.

SpartaBard

Is there a way for you moderator types to set up a grid to keep track of our times up to the needle? (I guess this post has gone beyond Jake's physical fitness).

heythorp

the easiest way to do this is for someone to start a spread sheet and attatch it, then d/l it and add your time, then reattach it to the end of the thread

the start/finish line is the only real problem

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i had originally intended on adding that i wanted to rip seans legs off too...but then realized that i would physically have to rip them off in order to keep up with the bearded wonder. :D

well, i think i'm going to plan on using this poist as a training blog of sorts too. that way you can all make fun of me when i'm sitting around doing nothing b/c it's too cold (like today).

i'm going to start hitting the gym 2x a week for spinning @ 6:00 am. i have never done this (as a "class" or organized) before so it should be interesting. especially when they see me hammering on the damn thing and realize that i was me who broke the bike in the front row.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good for you jake - you are forunate that the ramifications of your public declaration do not come with the penalty of eating Sean's beard. However, while you used Carmichael's quote, you would still be hiding in the sanctum if I didn't prod you.

Great idea Dan & Norm!

4 routes starting from left to right looking up at the needle:

1 - The red trail immediately to the right of the fire road (the route we usually descend);
2 - the fire road;
3 - the steep washed out portion of the yellow trail immediately to the left of the fire road;
4 - the yellow trail as described in heythorp's post

I'd say all but route 3 are viable options.

I think we should have different trails in different parks. And only official gatherings count towards the official records. You can be listed as unofficial if you do it solo but it's not a record if nobody sees you do it. Cardiac is another trail.

Shaggz

A strong 7
OK:
KVSP is Route 4, as described by Norm
Torne - the Gravel climb to the tourne
Allamuchy - Cardiac upper, lower or combined?

Any others?

Official gathering meaning...? Confirmation by another rider, or a call for a time trial?

D

DANSPANK

The times could be listed under "Climb-time" threads in the trails directory. If we start including some of the gps maps in the trail directory too then we'll have a really good directory with suggested routes, average times/pace and perhaps even climb-time-trials kinda-sorta.

Us mere mortals could see how we compare to some of the racer-types on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom