- Between the Buried and me
- Isis (+ Old Man Gloom)
- Mastodon
- Mushroomhead
- Candiria
- Soulfly
- Faith No More
- Darkest Hour
- The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg (too bad they split up...)
- The Power and the Glory
- Killswitch Engage
- Dead can Dance
- Joy Division

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
normZurawski said:
I'm stuck in a time warp of sorts. I'm usually pretty out of the loop.

Radiohead
Flaming Lips
Phish
PJ Harvey
NERD
Jane's Addiction
Gorillaz
Kanye West
Matisyahu
Sigur Ros
Wilco

Been interested in that TVotR CD since they won the Short LIst award a few years back. I really should just pull the trigger on that.
Lots of these names get/have gotten heavy play in my house.

Buy the latest TVotR to start; you can't go wrong.

J-Dro

ChrisG said:
Buy the latest TVotR to start; you can't go wrong.

The similarities between TVotR and old school Peter Gabriel are uncanny. BTW, their last CD from a couple of years ago is def worth digging up too. "desperate youth, blood thirsty babes"

Mike679

I occasionally ride with the ear-buds in, but most of my music listening occurs in the car and favors the heavy stuff (at least when my wife and kids aren't in the car):

Clutch
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Kyuss
Nile
Voivod
Tool
Mercyful Fate
Venom

With family in tow the playlist mellows substantially:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Paul Simon
Dave Matthews
Elmo
Kidz Bop
etc.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mtbdawgJeff said:
The similarities between TVotR and old school Peter Gabriel are uncanny. BTW, their last CD from a couple of years ago is def worth digging up too. "desperate youth, blood thirsty babes"

Man, I really need to pick this up. Old school Genesis is some of my favorite music. I really never listened to the Peter Gabriel Genesis until the past few years, and I love it.

Shaggz

A strong 7
normZurawski said:

Radiohead
Flaming Lips
Phish
PJ Harvey
NERD
Jane's Addiction
Gorillaz
Kanye West
Matisyahu
Sigur Ros
Wilco

Been interested in that TVotR CD since they won the Short LIst award a few years back. I really should just pull the trigger on that.

i like all the wfuv/old wdre ytpe stuff. now with xm in the car and at home, it makes it easier to stay entrenched in that time warp

alice and chains
the dead
neil young/buff springfield/any iteration of csn & sometimes y
wilco
cowboy jumkies
beth orton
sonvolts
jack johnson
dmd
jayhawks
uncle tupelo
citizen cope
gov't mule
richard shindell
smiths
u2, pre zoo station
depeche mode - 1986 on
nirvana
coldplay

ultimate albums:
counting crows - august and everything after
u2 - achtung baby
neil young - after the gold rush
smiths - louder than bombs
hear music - vols 1&2
george michael - listen without prejudice (don't discount this album based on wham! and public restroom stories)
depeche mode - 101 (album b)
pearl jam - 10

ChrisG

Right on

mtbdawgJeff said:
Oh yeah, you'll want both lp's and the two ep's eventually.

I agree, old PG influence, also P-Funk, Bowie, 1st generation post-punk(Gang of Four, Wire, etc.). Lots of good stuff cooking in there.

ChrisG

Maurice said:
- Dead can Dance
- Joy Division
Yes! HUGE bands. The post-punk and 4AD scenes are super-important in my listening history, the second in large part due to my wife's influence.

Nice to encounter another Isis/OMG fan as well...

Shaggz

A strong 7
anrothar said:
loch = lake
locht = fault(blame)

good try though.

the best i can come up with is that you are saying that it is not your fault that you are intimidated by the more distinguished and elder poster.

ChrisG

Or...

Shaggz said:
the best i can come up with is that you are saying that it is not your fault that you are intimidated by the more distinguished and elder poster.
...maybe it's the size of Avogadro's head that's scaring him.

J-Dro

ChrisG said:
Yes! HUGE bands. The post-punk and 4AD scenes are super-important in my listening history, the second in large part due to my wife's influence.

I have an original British vinyl copy of Closer by Joy Division. Yes, I'm old. lol.
I worked at the radio station at my college during the early 80s, so I'm very tuned into the punk, post-punk era. Wire 154, yeah!

ChrisG

mtbdawgJeff said:
I have an original British vinyl copy of Closer by Joy Division. Yes, I'm old. lol.
I worked at the radio station at my college during the early 80s, so I'm very tuned into the punk, post-punk era. Wire 154, yeah!
Yeah, I'm right there with you, man.

Joy Division and Wire are MAJOR passions. I think JD never did a thing wrong, pretty much, and Chairs Missing and 154 are masterpieces.

Wire just released a double live cd of Pink Flag and Chairs Missing era stuff, 1977-78. The 1978 disc is a radio show from the infamous CBGB gig, when everyone showed up expecting the 1st album and got new stuff instead.

Last edited:

walter

Fourth Party
I dont listen to anything while riding, I also like to hear whats going on around me. I guess even though I'm getting older, I will never get out of the hardcore/death metal/punk stuff.

hatebreed
streetdogs
icepick
backhand
roger miret
agnostic front
boxcutter
dying fetus
cattle decapitation
sick of it all
alot of the older east coast straight edge hardcore
deicide
darkbuster
sheer terror
and of course, slayer will always have a place in my heart

walter

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
more..

Radiohead
Flaming Lips
Phish
PJ Harvey
NERD
Jane's Addiction
Gorillaz
Kanye West
Matisyahu
Sigur Ros
Wilco

Very nice Norm.. I see you in a whole new light.

The new live Wilco is nearly an all time fav for me.

I have been doing yoga with Sigur Ros for a long while. I saw them at the tower theater in Philly w/Chris G.. What a great show. I think they had 25 people on stage.

Side note: I got the date wrong and drove to Philly a week early. (Not a happy drive home w/the wife)..

Every time I think I have some great new band Chris or his better 1/2 (much better) beat me to the punch. They have more cd's than I have bike clothes.. and that is a lot! These guys spend 1000's at the cd shops.

Here are some more bands that I can safely recommend. I can play them all in my retail store w/o complaint:

Bright Eyes
Calexico
Clap your hands and say yeah
Death Cab for Cutie (fav)
Elliot
Frans Ferdinand
Huffamoose
Jets to Brazil
Luna
Matt Pond PA
Mogwai
Neutral Milk Hotel
PEDRO THE LION (FAV)..
Ryan Adams
South
Snow Patrol
Sufjan Stevens
Sun Kill Moon (fav)

The bands:
The Black keys
The decmeberists
The Futureheads
The Postal Service
The Shins (fav)
The Strokes
The Stills (fav)
The Velvet Teen

Ween
Weezer

Yo La Tengo (fav)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i mostly listen to "harder stuff". when i ride and am getting into a sticky situation the same song always runs though my head whether it's been snowboarding or mtging:

razor blade by antharax.

it always works. unless i crash. then it just plain hurts.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jdog,

Nice list. I'll have to check some of that stuff out.

I've been meaning to pick up stuff from My Morning Jacket and Sufjan Stevens for a while now. Just never get around to it. Same deal as the TVotR.

I also have the new Wilco and it's still warming up to me. I like Death Cab, and Franz Ferdinand but not as much as most people. Also really dig the Shins and Yo La Tengo. And the Sigur Ros was a big surprise for me. That's the kind of band that prives good music is not dead.

You would probably like Air as well, and perhaps Clinic. Morcheeba is another one I forgot to mention. And I really dig Portishead but a lot of people hate them, my wife included. Rufus Wainright is brilliant, but a hair misguided at times I think.

Norm

Top Bottom