Mercer County Park Conditions

Happy New Year!
Mick & I got out this morning and removed the downed tree reported by Big Al on the Red trail loop adjacent to East Picnic. We also cleared two trees in the "Gonna Fall Soon" class on the way out. We have noticed that the last three trees we felled were pretty much sawdust, completely rotted thru. Only a matter of time (usually the most inconvenient) until they drop.
Pics to follow

FYI The Deer management closure days have changed. Trails on the north section are OPEN: Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Closed: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sat.

TAS
IMG_0198.jpg
IMG_0200.jpg

Last edited:
Went there yesterday....Doh!
Forgot that the area is closed on Wed for hunting. I'll get it this weekend.
TAS

What a lovely winter afternoon! The tree on Blue trail has been removed. My shame has been lifted... Ha Ha!
Discovered that the Silky Katana needs the blade sharpened. Had to use the BigBoy. Good thing I brought both.
Got another another smaller tree in the same area.
TAS

Attachments

• OTerVlyLQiuCnVeDyKRpyw.jpg
    OTerVlyLQiuCnVeDyKRpyw.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 85
  • pVrJE8dGQxWRHf+0RAinDA.jpg
    pVrJE8dGQxWRHf+0RAinDA.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 87
5A9A5E7F-D404-4FED-B542-E7DB4CA94F76.jpeg

Quaker bridge road just north of Mercer is a mess. Cars crushed, trees down everywhere. I’d be very surprised if Mercer didn’t take a beating yesterday. I’m right across from the ultimate frisbee fields.

View attachment 207936
Quaker bridge road just north of Mercer is a mess. Cars crushed, trees down everywhere. I’d be very surprised if Mercer didn’t take a beating yesterday. I’m right across from the ultimate frisbee fields.
Drove by there around the time of your picture. No apparently damage from the road in the Van Nest area (which is obviously a drive by assessment). Based on where it seems the path of this was, may have some trees damage near the dam and the tree lines along that section of the lake.

Hey folks, Mick & I will head over to the park tomorrow. From what I saw on TV the path looks to have gone across QB road north of the creek ( Van Nest) then over the golf course north of the lake. One of the TV reports was about extensive tree & house damage on Conover road. We will check there first.

The northern most sections of Blue North may have been hit.

Will post a report tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.. hoping for the best.

TAS

Recon Report for Blue North. I walked blue north today. South post road to the power line exit. The tornado path did run over the blue north trail in multiple locations. There are approximately 20 trees of various sizes down. The trail is navigable but you will have to unmount and or walk around. I cleared a bunch of small stuff.
Warning!! There are two dangerous widow makers at the pond nearest the power line entrance - exit. While I was taking the attached pictures one collapsed and slid downward! Sketchy!!! Perhaps a few more days and they will settle. Be careful here...

I did not have time to check the Van Nest area. Based on the path I don't think that section took a direct hit but there may be stuff down just from the wind.

Mick and I will get out there when we can, weather permitting. The rest of the park should be OK. The usual strong T storm debris.
PLEASE report any trail blockages and we will get to them when we can based on severity.

Thanks!
TAS

y+44cN5%RBS6o1s7UmY0qQ.jpg
XHMjF6YxSKu7uFsw1Wh4SA.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 1Q9mtjirTzKJEeaKGyXxmQ.jpg
    1Q9mtjirTzKJEeaKGyXxmQ.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 79
Recon Report for Blue North. I walked blue north today. South post road to the power line exit. The tornado path did run over the blue north trail in multiple locations. There are approximately 20 trees of various sizes down. The trail is navigable but you will have to unmount and or walk around. I cleared a bunch of small stuff.
Warning!! There are two dangerous widow makers at the pond nearest the power line entrance - exit. While I was taking the attached pictures one collapsed and slid downward! Sketchy!!! Perhaps a few more days and they will settle. Be careful here...

I did not have time to check the Van Nest area. Based on the path I don't think that section took a direct hit but there may be stuff down just from the wind.

Mick and I will get out there when we can, weather permitting. The rest of the park should be OK. The usual strong T storm debris.
PLEASE report any trail blockages and we will get to them when we can based on severity.

Thanks!
TAS
Hi Tas!! I found you thru here!! Great advise on the trail status, you were not wrong! We made it safe to the parking lot, cleaning a bit as I could to pass with the bike and pup. I took pictures of the same widow makers!! They looked just as waiting for someone to pass by...

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-23 at 23.48.32.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-23 at 23.48.32.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 84
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-23 at 23.48.322.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-23 at 23.48.322.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions