MD October 4th: Guerillas in the Midst

mileage??...what are we roadies?? :D

Seriously, sounds like you guys have done alot of nice work up there, I'd like to check it out.

I'd say 2-3 hours, moderate pace...

mileage??...what are we roadies?? :D

Seriously, sounds like you guys have done alot of nice work up there, I'd like to check it out.

I'd say 2-3 hours, moderate pace...

Heh, heh, point taken.

Cascade/Stones Gate/The Wall are musts, then.

Shaggz/Brad,
What else do ya' think we *have* to show VB and his crew? I'll bolt together a route in the next few days...

And other folks who wanna' join, fret not! The great thing about MD is that there are many bail out points if a possible three hour trek is too much time for you.

I just spoke with the guys I ride with at Mahlon Sunday mornings , we're all gonna try to make this ride. At least 3 or us possibly 5.

Heh, heh, point taken.

Cascade/Stones Gate/The Wall are musts, then.

Shaggz/Brad,
What else do ya' think we *have* to show VB and his crew? I'll bolt together a route in the next few days...

And other folks who wanna' join, fret not! The great thing about MD is that there are many bail out points if a possible three hour trek is too much time for you.

We could do my normal loop which includes 3-stone, cascade, the wall and stone gate. I can try to dig up a xml file

From the main lot we cross Weldon and ride up the fire road, turn in at the second right, take that up to the highest point, head down and make the hard left towards cascade, ( you guys got us doing it with the school on our right, much more fun !) . We basically loop around as we come off cascade we take it out to Weldon ,cross over and go to the Headley Overlook, which brings you out at the top of The Wall (we call that area "the grassy knoll " ), follow that to Stone Gate and then down to the lake, take the right at the lake and follow the fire road back to the parking lot.
Usually clocks in at about 10+/- miles .

my usual loop

This loop clocks in at 10.9 miles. This is what we did during the Traveling Hooligans Ride back in July. It hits up just about all of the highlights.

Attachments

• Mahlon 7-19.kmz
    45.6 KB · Views: 98
Tim, you call yourself a local... ;)

Hey man, if you, Sean, or Shaggz didn't teach to me, I don't know it :)

Edit: Ah, what you call 3-stone, I call the west part of Boulder Trail with that tight little loop around the fence :)

Last edited:
This loop clocks in at 10.9 miles. This is what we did during the Traveling Hooligans Ride back in July. It hits up just about all of the highlights.

Yeah, that'll do...

Though, do we really wanna' schlep up the rail bed to 3-stone? I guess it is a nice warm up...but running the WMA then coming down the rail bed is more interesting...might be a few places everybody might get need to get off and push, but hey, that's half the fun right?

What do ya' think?

Shirts & Bottle Openers

If anyone coming to this ride wants a mtbNJ shirt or bottle opener, let me know and I will bring them for you.

Shirts: $12 (limited sizes)
Bottle Openers: $8 (blue or orange, one size fits all)
Shirt & Opener: $20

Hey man, if you, Sean, or Shaggz didn't teach to me, I don't know it :)

Edit: Ah, what you call 3-stone, I call the west part of Boulder Trail with that tight little loop around the fence :)

That is probably right, sounds like it.

Yeah, that'll do...

Though, do we really wanna' schlep up the rail bed to 3-stone? I guess it is a nice warm up...but running the WMA then coming down the rail bed is more interesting...might be a few places everybody might get need to get off and push, but hey, that's half the fun right?

What do ya' think?

Ok, so you start up the hill right out of the parking lot on the other side of the road, and basically do my WMA route in reverse? I have never done it that way because of that first hill, but that sounds good.

Ok, so you start up the hill right out of the parking lot on the other side of the road, and basically do my WMA route in reverse? I have never done it that way because of that first hill, but that sounds good.

Yep. The WMA seems like a completely different trail in that direction.

Only downside to riding the WMA that direction is there are a couple of tough climbs...though they're all in the first mile or so. Honestly, I've never cleaned 'em all...actually haven't even tried...'would be shocked if anyone did....though I'd LOVE to watch somebody do it.

If nobody has an issue with that (remember it is all crammed into the first mile or so), the rest of the WMA is a nice mix of easy, technical (but doable) climbs, rocky descents, and mild rollers.

We could also skip that first little bit of the WMA with the hard climbs by riding up Pascoe road (I think it is Pascoe road)...but it is road and a pretty big climb.

Eh, we can see what everybody feels like doing for warm-up that morning: spinning up the rail bed, walking up a few hills, or mashing up some asphault :) That's the nice thing about MD...options, options, options...

For a bunch of "locals" you're just clueless when it comes to setting up a loop at MD. I'm gonna try for this cause I think it will be entertaining to watch....

Back
Top Bottom