MD October 4th: Guerillas in the Midst

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
have fun fellas. the old thermo-meter read 35* here too. in fact, it don't read much more than that now.

SpartaBard

I am having the same debate here. i am just going to bring a bunch of stuff and figure it out at game time.

walter

Fourth Party
Have fun you guys, as I was watching the news last night it said Jefferson was supposed to get its first frost. Anything happen?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks!

Hey folks...

Thanks to everyone for coming up today. I think we had 14-15 people show up; really great considering it was 35 degrees and spritzing rain at roll-off. All were rewarded as it ended up being 50-ish and sunny--beautiful.

'Probably not the "smoothest" group ride around; had some flats, some mechanicals, etc. Certainly a "casual" pace. I think everybody had fun though and the MD newbies got a taste of what MD is all about. I'll call it mission accomplished (even Brett was smiling more often than not ;) ).

At any rate, it was great to meet some more folks FTF off the board and to see some familiar faces too.

Wazu

Fun Ride

Tim and Brad...Thanks for showing me your home trails. Yeah, there was alot of stopping but it was alot of fun nonetheless. I'd love to go back there very soon. It was nice matching up faces to names and meeting new people too. Post another ride. :)

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah, it was good to see so many folks out there. sorry i had to skip out early but i'm already late for the pumpkin patch. and the cows, can't forget the cows!

so i ended up joining this ride late and with only a basic understanding of mahlon i was pretty much f'd. tried to find the group, asked some lady for directions to cascade who called her husband and he put me in the general direction. i had my first bear-on-bike experience (big bastard too...seen plenty of bears just never on the bike in the woods...just AWESOME!) then rode on adreneline for about the next three miles. i did a couple repeats on sparta-mt. road (not on purpose), finally got directed, rode up weldon road (again, not on purpose) and met brad. joined up, pased steve on a climb (sorry 'bout that steve) and kept on going. i knew if i stoped i'd be toast. not sure what my total milage was today but the new garmin said 12.3 so figure 13 once it gets itself oriented.

anyway, great ride, good to see some new folks and my bad for not socializing more. catch ya'll next time though!

oh yeah, and i'm 2 for 2 with OTB on the wall re-route. both times with brad. :hmmm:

Shaggz

A strong 7
It was an interesting but fun ride today. It was great to see everyone today. Metaldork had single speed envy, so he decided to rip his RD to shreds. Then the off came his chain ring bolts (which by some miracle were all found), then the funny noises started :hmmm:.

The wall re-route claimed two victims OTB, Jake & Tony. However, I think everyone cleared the Devil's Staircase. I was sweeping (sounds better than bear bait), but judging by the laughs I heard in the distance, I think everyone had a good time.

Joe, thanks for setting this up. Tim great job on your first "lead". Brett, I'm glad you were entertained :D.

secondspeed02

okay im the "newbie" Evan

Shaggz aka Steve, Joe, and Tim

:DWhat show of people and great ride, and singletrack was amazing... Next time I'll have my own bike in one just smaller size LOL..
To Tony from Union City, NJ( you have kick A%$ , rocky mountain) dont mean to single anyone out but John B. is leading a ride a Lewis Morris park this Tuesday dont know the time but after work ...5 ish or later ( maybe lights). I hope to do a 14 miler a good pace :getsome:

:cool: Anyone else if I forgot dont mean to disrespect

Metaldork man you look great even w/ the make shift singlespeed out in woods...
NICE

peace

Last edited:

secondspeed02

Jake did this guy look near bigger of an SUV ... oh man you probly saw 500lb black bear.. Im just happy you made it one piece, talk to later peace

yeah, it was good to see so many folks out there. sorry i had to skip out early but i'm already late for the pumpkin patch. and the cows, can't forget the cows!

so i ended up joining this ride late and with only a basic understanding of mahlon i was pretty much f'd. tried to find the group, asked some lady for directions to cascade who called her husband and he put me in the general direction. i had my first bear-on-bike experience (big bastard too...seen plenty of bears just never on the bike in the woods...just AWESOME!) then rode on adreneline for about the next three miles. i did a couple repeats on sparta-mt. road (not on purpose), finally got directed, rode up weldon road (again, not on purpose) and met brad. joined up, pased steve on a climb (sorry 'bout that steve) and kept on going. i knew if i stoped i'd be toast. not sure what my total milage was today but the new garmin said 12.3 so figure 13 once it gets itself oriented.

anyway, great ride, good to see some new folks and my bad for not socializing more. catch ya'll next time though!

oh yeah, and i'm 2 for 2 with OTB on the wall re-route. both times with brad. :hmmm:

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jake did this guy look near bigger of an SUV ... oh man you probly saw 500lb black bear.. Im just happy you made it one piece, talk to later peace

i basically use the "bonefishjake measurement system" when i'm looking at bears. that measuring system is essentially this: how many of me would add up to this bear if i were doing a bearesque walk. my estimate was that this critter was every bit of two bonefishjakes, or 400 lbs. or seven sparta brads. :D

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Metaldork man you look great even w/ the make shift singlespeed out in woods...

+1 for that. Metaldork gets the steel gonads award for hanging in on the ride. If it'd been me (well, if I had a derailleur :D), I'd probably pussied out and roadie'd it back to the lot.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Joe, thanks for setting this up. Tim great job on your first "lead". Brett, I'm glad you were entertained :D.

Brad led the first part...which was good 'cause I'd never ridden that part in that direction and would have certainly f'd it up.

I learned a few things...some of which had been taught/mentioned to me already, but didn't resonate too well with me until now...

For a large all-comers ride at a "not-easy" place, I'd say it'd be optimal to have three "leads" that know the route: one who can lead a "lead" pack, a "mid" pack, and "rear" pack. Start off the ride together and let things shake out; never really considered how this would work, but alas, it became obvious pretty quick what those groups would look like. Then at some point, when folks have figured out what "pack" they'd best ride with, split 'em off and don't look back. Rear pack sweeps up mechanicals, etc.

On top of that pre-designate a place or two on the route to "re-congregate" to allow for socializing and folks who had mechanicals/flats to rejoin their group.
Too much time in engineering and management? Yeah, probably :drooling:...but it seems like a decent formula for rides like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom