McDowell property

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude it worked......if it didn’t I would have brought the real heat on him when i told him my cousin was a port authority officer and I had a PBA card.
Yes it shut him up, however when you piss someone off, they usually don't want to help you....right or wrong.

Johnny Utah

Hey we could send in Rick and Marty Lagina to look for buried treasure
Personally? Is threatening bodily harm/life with a firearm okay with regards to taking a wrong turn?

This isn't the wild west here, it's one of the most densely populated areas of the country.
I think the bigger issue here is that the boundaries of Allaire trails have been growing in a bit of an out of hand pace in the last ten years. Now they have spilled onto private property. Is pulling a cross bow (unconfirmed) out of hand: ABSOLUTELY! But what has this man said/done prior? It’s not like this is the first bike that came upon the property and the guys first reaction was what was presented. I am sure he has been told to f-off and every other insult in the book (unconfirmed).

Private property is just that, if someone built a trail across my land without permission I would be very upset. It’s not just the disrespect, it’s the liability that is added in our sue-happy State.

We are now posting in this thread about trails on private property we do not have permission to ride on......let that sink in.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Personally? Is threatening bodily harm/life with a firearm okay with regards to taking a wrong turn?

This isn't the wild west here, it's one of the most densely populated areas of the country.
The cop was asking questions to get the facts. So far everyone is reacting to what they think happened. OP is very vague and everyone is going apeshit.

MikeyBikey2000

“Acquiring this land and adding it to Allaire State Park has long been a priority for the New Jersey State Park Service,” said Commissioner Catherine R. McCabe. “We are excited to be able to expand the park by purchasing land that offers opportunities for fishing, hiking, biking, bird watching and other outdoor activities. In addition, this purchase protects coastal habitats in the headwaters of the Manasquan River.”

This is not to say that its 'open' to the public yet or anything (no idea if there is something that has to happen to officially open it), just showing that the purchase went through and looks like its planned to be open to the public.

Last edited:
Reactions: don

Johnny Utah

The cop was asking questions to get the facts. So far everyone is reacting to what they think happened. OP is very vague and everyone is going apeshit.
Yeah, I kinda had u pegged as that guy.
Let's get together next week, we can ride and talk about a raise.
Let me know. If you believe i had an exchange with a Badge they you must hold the keys to the trail I posted about through the medical facility a page back. Is @Mitch the only one allowed to use sarcasm in here?

Johnny Utah

“Acquiring this land and adding it to Allaire State Park has long been a priority for the New Jersey State Park Service,” said Commissioner Catherine R. McCabe. “We are excited to be able to expand the park by purchasing land that offers opportunities for fishing, hiking, biking, bird watching and other outdoor activities. In addition, this purchase protects coastal habitats in the headwaters of the Manasquan River.”

So Fred McDowell and family went through this transaction and then subsequently held a guy up with a crossbow? That makes no sense. Someone was somewhere they weren’t supposed to be.

MikeyBikey2000

So Fred McDowell and family went through this transaction and then subsequently held a guy up with a crossbow? That makes no sense. Someone was somewhere they weren’t supposed to be.
I think this might have been pre-sale. the crossbow incident is @Frank adventure - the OP never said what happened to him/her - it looks like on the map the tworiver times shows that the buildings are still private, I wish there was a better map online somewhere.

Karate Monkey

No heat, friend. I assume @Frank and friends' event happened some time ago, and based on Frank's response, I posted accordingly.

If he was trespassing knowingly, well, that's a bit different.

OP is beyond vague.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe the guy is just protecting the roots on his former property.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Whatever happened - this property owner should know that we heard him, and we are doing something about it.

spreading the word
putting up signs - so he doesn't have to.

i'm assuming it didn't go full-on Deliverance, but scary enough.

Giving the guy some more leverage - "you rode right by the private property signs, turn around now"
if someone goes all asshat, it's on them.

This is the most serious thread we've had in a bit. Probably should try to treat it as such.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is the most serious thread we've had in a bit. Probably should try to treat it as such.

it sure could be, however if the property was sold to the state, then the OP was not doing anything wrong and someone was overstepping.

without OP coming back and giving us the needed information all that we can do is speculate and make things WORSE, either OP needs to share what happened in clear concise terms or we need to stop speculating until someone comes back with verifyable intel

looks like someone did verify that the property BELIEVED to be in question has been purchased by the state, so in that case the wrongdoing was NOT on the OP. . . .

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Whatever happened - this property owner should know that we heard him, and we are doing something about it.

spreading the word
putting up signs - so he doesn't have to.

i'm assuming it didn't go full-on Deliverance, but scary enough.

Giving the guy some more leverage - "you rode right by the private property signs, turn around now"
if someone goes all asshat, it's on them.

Then @Norm has to moderate it. It has been mentioned that they don’t know if the guy is even around anymore. Don’t make it a bigger issue than it is. Deal with it, yes, but you are escalating it, not mitigating it. Like putting no trespassing signs up when it isn’t your property...

Last edited:

265crosser

Fred Mc Dowell Sr and Fred Jr are both passed; the care taker has to be over 80. I believe it was a home owner off West 18th, my grandfather worked for Fred Mc Dowell and those trails all were made by mx'ers.
Back in the 70's before mtb was a thing.

265crosser

Many of the trails are fire cuts, Bultaco, Montessa, Husky to name a few!
I grew up riding here, the Mc Dowell's also own property on 18th Ave, Blueberry Acres off 33, Asphalt plant off Collingswood circle behind Wall stadium to name a few.

Reactions: don

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
I think this might have been pre-sale. the crossbow incident is @Frank adventure - the OP never said what happened to him/her - it looks like on the map the tworiver times shows that the buildings are still private, I wish there was a better map online somewhere.
As @Frank mentions, I was with him on that crossbow ride. It was October 2015. I still have our Strava track. The encounter took place at the spot I’ve circled in red using the heat map provided earlier. We entered from 18th Ave and got no more than about 1/4 mile in when Hawkeye confronted us. We had no idea if we were in State or private land so we beat a hasty retreat.
05E9C199-851C-47C7-8A81-59064DBE6427.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions