Manitou Mastodon, anyone have one?

Leftymuk

Just to be clear no matter what tire you are running on either fork the TIRE will never come in contact with the arch...the EXT is 20mm longer in the crown legs.....the STD crown will drop lower than the arch itself thereby letting the tire hit the crown not the arch

hls811

So I’ve been thinking of replacing my stock fork with a mastodon, I can’t wrap my head around the difference between the ext and standard. (I know 20mm…) but functionally what’s the difference? Are there pros/cons to one or the other?
I currently have 26x4 Minions and I don’t need to go wider but ya never know. They make two different ones for a reason and just don’t know which way to go.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
but functionally what’s the difference? Are there pros/cons to one or the other?

The extended is for 5+ inch tires. I have the standard and run 26x4.8 Minions. It isn't supported according to Manitou, but I've had no issues.

Also, do it.

hls811

The extended is for 5+ inch tires. I have the standard and run 26x4.8 Minions. It isn't supported according to Manitou, but I've had no issues.

Also, do it.
Awesome. Thank you!!

@Harters.. What are the changes of finding the 100mm Pro STD in stock?

Last edited:

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
I bought my wife a Mastodon Comp last year (MY2019) and noticed something in the travel change docs. All MY2019 and newer (STD & EXT) use the same stanchion length; 367mm. See page 9 at the link below. In my case there was a White Dot on the IVA cap meaning in was at least MY19. So if buying new you should be able to get any Mastodon Pro or Comp / any length and change it to what works for you. In her case I bought the 120 Pro STD and we are using Minions 4.8 F/R. Like @JimN said above the STD will work but I noticed at full travel the aftermarket fender bottomed out on the crown which cause a small tire rub noise. I have a Pro 120 EXT on the same frame (20" rather than her 16") and like the geo at that length so... I used Manitou spacers and brought hers to the 20mm higher EXT length.

Great forks! I prefer Manitou and have been using them since the mid 2000's and have Mattocs on several bikes. Very easy to service with the toolkit.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I bought my wife a Mastodon Comp last year (MY2019) and noticed something in the travel change docs. All MY2019 and newer (STD & EXT) use the same stanchion length; 367mm. See page 9 at the link below. In my case there was a White Dot on the IVA cap meaning in was at least MY19. So if buying new you should be able to get any Mastodon Pro or Comp / any length and change it to what works for you. In her case I bought the 120 Pro STD and we are using Minions 4.8 F/R. Like @JimN said above the STD will work but I noticed at full travel the aftermarket fender bottomed out on the crown which cause a small tire rub noise. I have a Pro 120 EXT on the same frame (20" rather than her 16") and like the geo at that length so... I used Manitou spacers and brought hers to the 20mm higher EXT length.

Great forks! I prefer Manitou and have been using them since the mid 2000's and have Mattocs on several bikes. Very easy to service with the toolkit.

can these be purchased now? they were all out of stock around christmas.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
They are hard to come by but here are a few potential options. The photos are the newer decals and being we're at MY21 they should be the longer stanchions but you may still have to confirm.
Worldwide has the Comp/STD
Universal Cycles
(COMP 120 STD)https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=104327
(Pro 100 (no EXT/STD listed so newer?)) https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=103494

hls811

They are hard to come by but here are a few potential options. The photos are the newer decals and being we're at MY21 they should be the longer stanchions but you may still have to confirm.
Universal Cycles
(COMP 120 STD)https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=104327
(Pro 100 (no EXT/STD listed so newer?)) https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=103494
Thank you!! based on the UPC and Mfg # for the one at Universal Cycles, its the Pro 100 STD version.. I was looking for the Comp, but that seems to be out of stock everywhere so I went with the Pro. I don't think I'll have any regrets going with the better version.

Patrick

Staff member
Universal Cycles

which one do i want ?
I'm running the 4.8 minions on 90mm rims
(it is easier to just ask this question rather than what i did...)

also - i have a set of 29r+ wheels (fat hubs) and i was thinking about getting a fork specifically for them.
Ideas?

as always, ty.

Aresab310

formerly RSabarese
The pro has more adjustments and is a smidge lighter but the comp is no slouch. The Comp is a bit more set it and forget it with 3 settings, open, pedal, lock and it uses their newest VTT damper(MY19 and later). The pro does not fully lock but you can firm it up. I’v also installed the Mattoc IRT in my pros, can’t with the comp. Not sure its really needed on a fatty but it’s bangin on my Mattoc.

If using 29+ The EXT may be better. Also the EXT should have the most spacers to play with the configs.

I have the Mattoc toolkit if you’d like to try different configurations, happy to do it with you... while I’m still in NJ. Even when we move I’ll be up at least every 6 weeks for family since they’ll all be here.

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
OMfG - they all are sold out already!!!

i'll just get a new bike and sacrifice something to the fire god.

hls811

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member

hls811

glad you got hooked up, and got this thread back..
I'll probably wait until the middle of summer when the northern hemisphere isn't thinking about fat bikes!
Thanks for the link.
Doesn't mean i won't become weak later tonight ;)
In case you do get weak, I just updated the links.. they have the 100 Pro Std too. Glad to spend your money for ya!

Patrick

Staff member
In case you do get weak, I just updated the links.. they have the 100 Pro Std too. Glad to spend your money for ya!

this is @JimN approved - finger on trigger......
or do i need to get 120?
f-if-i-know?

DanBrodeen

This fork is so good. I think I'm gonna pick another one up before next winter. Snowshoe groomed single track is taking its toll on my shoulders.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This fork is so good. I think I'm gonna pick another one up before next winter. Snowshoe groomed single track is taking its toll on my shoulders.

you better hurry up before @Patrick buys up the last one (maybe too late already 21 minutes since he posted)

Top Bottom