Manitou Mastodon, anyone have one?

mustclime

Just wondering , I have a bucksaw with a bluto that has developed some free play and thinking about a new fork for x-mass.

Supermoto

You just need to fill the cartridge to proper oil height.

This
And by that I mean, take it to Jim. Mine had issues, lots of stiction, free play. Now its buttery smooth and has been for a while

The Manitou is nice, but its a beast, pretty heavy

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have had on on my Fatboy since they first shipped out. Installed two in the past two weeks. All were replacements for Blutos. The Mastodon is far superior in every way, except weight. But as with every recent improvement it's worth the weight penalty. Think dropper posts, disc brakes, wider tires and rims and suspension in general, all added weight for better performance.

mustclime

If you are looking to buy one, check the specials on lacemine29. Mike C. had a barely used one for a great price.
That is a 120mm pro extended, they are over 550mm tall rather than the pro 120mm Standard.... that is 531mm. I have a Bucksaw and they are not supposed to have nothing taller than 511mm.... so I am looking at the 120mm standard model.

pkovo

I have a 120mm std. comp model. Had it for 1-2 months. I like it, but I don't have much of a basis for comparison as I came from rigid stock fork. My bike (Surly ICT) is a pretty heavy beast to begin with so I don't really even feel the extra weight, but it was definitely apparent when I was holding it my hand at install.

For me it has made downhill sections faster and more fun, it makes me hunt out stuff to pop off of on flat sections, and generally makes me want to ride a little more like a hooligan. I'm not giving much up on the climbs. The longer AC length makes it wander slightly but not bad and from what I read you can lower the height with a pump if needed (google Mastodon pump trick), but I haven't tried that.

mustclime

Well, I mounted the Mastodon 120 pro on my Bucksaw this last weekend. I have to say the Bucksaw feels like a whole new bike. The steering is right now, no flex, no slop and no twisting. The high and low speed damping adjustments really change the feel in ways I never saw with the Bluto. Great fork!

Joey J

This
And by that I mean, take it to Jim. Mine had issues, lots of stiction, free play. Now its buttery smooth and has been for a while

The Manitou is nice, but its a beast, pretty heavy
I have a Mastodon thats doing the same...who is Jim? I'd love to bring it to him to service.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
No, but I have a nerf mastedo:
nerf-mastodon.jpg

DanBrodeen

I thought I didn't need a suspension fork on my fat bike until I traded up to a 2018 Farley 7 with the Mastadon Comp. It's a game changer. Can ride it like an all mountain hardtail now. Maintains performance down to 5 degrees so far.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm planning to buy a Mastodon fork for my fatty, but I don't know which one to buy. I have a 2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon, and I plan to run it with 4.8" Minions, so I would need the extended one. Do I want 100mm or 120mm? Obviously more is better, but is 120 gonna mess up the geometry too much? @jimvreeland

rick81721

Lothar
I'm planning to buy a Mastodon fork for my fatty, but I don't know which one to buy. I have a 2016 Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon, and I plan to run it with 4.8" Minions, so I would need the extended one. Do I want 100mm or 120mm? Obviously more is better, but is 120 gonna mess up the geometry too much? @jimvreeland

I'd say a LOSER would want one of those forks!

Top Bottom