Mahlamuchy Epic Overnighter!

The Ridge Run Enduro was every mothers day and maams used to slog up to the powerline climb to spectate.One year they turned us straight into the woods at the top so i got to roost her on her special day.That was a Stephens/Mooch combo so i think that weekend is quite fittng for a Mahlamoochy

Two of my favorite NJ parks, sounds awesome! I look forward to it, especially since the girls ride stuff the day before is more instructional and not as much riding, an epic Sunday would be super! :)

Just pointing out that Sunday is mother's day. :)

Thanks for the heads up Pixychick. I didn't even realize that.

It looks like I need to find out what my wife wants to do for mom's day and see if I need to do some "negotiating". My wife's "tradition" is brunch at Legal Seafoods (either Short Hills or Palisades), then a movie w/the family. My mom is on the west coast and my wife's passed away in 2000, so mom's day is all about my wife in my household.

Oh well, since I live so close to Mahlon it makes it really easy to punt early on Sunday if I have too...

Sean, thanks for the invite. I wold've loved to come up and ride those parks, but... There will be PA MTB Summit in State College that same three day weekend, and I've committed to going there as part of PMBA delegation... Sorry to miss your fun ride.

dz

Sean, thanks for the invite. I wold've loved to come up and ride those parks, but... There will be PA MTB Summit in State College that same three day weekend, and I've committed to going there as part of PMBA delegation... Sorry to miss your fun ride.

dz

Sorry you can't do that...You're priorities lie in Jerz!

mods:

i have .kmz map files of the route that i would like to upload. but every time i try it fails. is this something on my end or the site's?

Sean, I think this is an issue with the "gallery" directory. We are looking to straighten this out once Norm-E-Pooh comes back from vacation. Stay tuned...

tim has been helping us out with some of the behind the scenes stuff over here and was able to straighten out the file uploading.

Mileage

I was wondering what the total miles for this epic would be. So, instead of using the PITA ruler in Google Earth (that isn't that accurate unless you really want to spend time plotting points), I wrote a small program that read the files in and computed the distances for me. Yeah, I wasn't into work this AM.

I'm pretty sure my algorithm is correct. On the Friday file I came really close to the Google path ruler.

So, here are the mileages:

Friday: 9.1 miles
Saturday Early: 11.6 Miles
Saturday Main: 40.5 Miles
Sunday: 53.6 Miles

That's a grand total of: 114.8 miles for the entire epic.

Last edited:
thanks tim! nice work.

just as a disclaimer, i made that map by very haphazaardly going over old maps to draw the route. distances could be +/- a few miles. on saturday i was figuring on riding in to camp, and then anyone who felt up to it could go out for a later loop in mahlon.

here's a jpeg look at the maps for those interested.

first the main loop of the epic, then the detail of the friday/saturday supplement.

Last edited:
thanks tim! nice work.

just as a disclaimer, i made that map by very haphazaardly going over old maps to draw the route. distances could be +/- a few miles. on saturday i was figuring on riding in to camp, and then anyone who felt up to it could go out for a later loop in mahlon.

You're welcome Sean. It is little projects like this and helping Shaggz & Norm out a little that keep me from going completely nutso :drooling:

My current job role is a pure management one (IP transfer and product transition between two companies), not a technical one at all. Boring doesn't begin to describe it...

Saturday Main: 40.5 Miles
Sunday: 53.6 Miles

hhhmmmm. i intended for saturday to be the longer day. might have to shorten sunday's route and extend saturday's. won't be difficult. stay tuned.

i could do them in the opposite direction, but several of these trails are really most fun in the direction i laid out the route in.

The Sat combo is 52.1 +/-, and looks harder than Sun.I think you're ok. I hope that new 517 section is a typo........

sure did lard ass. :cool:

what's wrong with the 517 section? be a good warm up in between deer park and the main loop start. sure that hill on scenic drive is steep, but much better as a warm up than the left climb from the tranquility parking lot.

the sunday route as it stands includes three really big climbs in the first 12 miles. i might modify it to remove some of them.

Back
Top Bottom