Lifting rear wheel with flat pedals...but how?

Speed might help you to clear certain obstacles Timbay, but you don't need speed to hop. Watch any trials, or BMX flatland rider. Learn to hop first. Then worry about clearing stuff.Hint: that will save you from tweaking your rims ;)

Speed might help you to clear certain obstacles Timbay, but you don't need speed to hop. Watch any trials, or BMX flatland rider. Learn to hop first. Then worry about clearing stuff.Hint: that will save you from tweaking your rims ;)

But I tweaked them getting air, just not clearing the obstacle (speed/timing issue). I learned slow speed just getting off the ground like most people. My point is just to start small when you try to apply it on the trail, getting over stuff, meaning hopping roots is not pointless. It's a lot different having to time the move.

Leo, since I wont be ridding untill my broken ankle heals, you can borrow my hardtail, or one of my pumptrack bikes to practice with if you want. I'm serious. Once I'm cleared to get around more, maybe I can go to the pumptrack and give you some support from the sidelines.

Thanks but I feel nervous borrowing other people's stuff. I do appreciate the offer though.

But I tweaked them getting air, just not clearing the obstacle (speed/timing issue). I learned slow speed just getting off the ground like most people. My point is just to start small when you try to apply it on the trail, getting over stuff, meaning hopping roots is not pointless. It's a lot different having to time the move.

Tim, what I meant is that I can throw a log on my back yard and practice on that at any given speed I choose, while most of the trails in Ringwood have so many roots that if you hop over one root you may end up casing on the next one. Not saying is not feasible or useful, just not worth the risk in my opinion. I guess you'll get what I'm talking about when you attend JORBAFest.

Thanks but I feel nervous borrowing other people's stuff. I do appreciate the offer though.
You cant hurt my stuff any worse than I have ! Seriously, I have a few bikes just for this sort of thing that are just taking up space at the moment. They are single speed, steel frames with mostly inexpensive parts that I can easily replace.There isn't much you can hurt it on at the pumptrack either. Just think about it..I think it would help you a lot.

Tim, what I meant is that I can throw a log on my back yard and practice on that at any given speed I choose, while most of the trails in Ringwood have so many roots that if you hop over one root you may end up casing on the next one. Not saying is not feasible or useful, just not worth the risk in my opinion. I guess you'll get what I'm talking about when you attend JORBAFest.
Ah, I get it. I'm stoked to ride your hood later this month. Good luck. I'm sure it'll click rather quickly since you seem determined.

Roots, I just roll over them no problem. I'm more concerned about logs, tree trunks and rocks across the trail.

Even though it's fun, you'll hardly ever bunny hop anything on the trail. Almost 100% of the time you'll bop it with the front tire and use that momentum to get the back over. Sometimes I'll combine the 2 and bop the front wheel, do a bunny hop, and clear the obstacle all together with the back wheel. It's fast and efficient.

This is such deja vu cause I posted something similar like 10 years ago. Haha! I still haven't gotten any better at the bunny hop though :( We need a day of playing on obstacles!!

Here's an exaggerated example from it's Trials origin. For trail bike use you'll keep weight farther forward so the front wheel stays level.

Practice on smaller logs yo.

@serviceguy is going to lay down and and let me jump him

I do remember being a kid there were these 2 speed bumps in quick succession that us kids would lay between and we would take turns jumping each other. You could jump 5 kids with low effort. Who ever you liked least you would put them right by the last bump and come up short. Being a kid was fun you were just a giant meat crayon everytime you wrecked but bounced back with no issue.

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 9.28.31 PM.png

The bop technique is actually easier when the log is close to wheel size. With smaller logs the rear wheel has to travel farther.

Back
Top Bottom