Lifting rear wheel with flat pedals...but how?

Clipless is bullshit. 7 year olds on walmart BMX's can hop high as hell without clipless.
I can bunny hope but It is nice to be able to cheat a little when you are beat on a climb and come to an obstacle. But I think of it as using the tools I have.

I can get 6" off the ground at a stand still I dig into my pedals I've only been able to throw my shoulders into it a handful of times and I get at least a foot when I do

Just because 7 year olds are better than me doesn't make clipless bullshit :p
It's not about being a better overall rider, that's not the discussion here. It's hopping. You learn better technique from learning on flats. Those of you who can hop effectively with either style pedals know it's cheating, and admit it yourselves. Leo is asking how to learn it the right way.Clipless riders use the pedals as a crutch, to mask bad technique. I'm guessing most pro riders, even though most do ride clipless, would agree.

Last edited:
It's not about being a better overall rider, that's not the discussion here. It's hopping. You learn better technique from learning on flats. Those of you who can hop effectively with either style pedals know it's cheating, and admit to it yourselves. Leo is asking how to learn it the right way.

Yup, and I was in his shoes when I was riding flats. I couldn't figure out how to lift the rear wheel and it was annoying. I ended up going back to clipless (for more reasons than just this), and find it way, way easier. I realize it's cheating, and I don't care. Five inch tires is also cheating, and I admit that to everyone :)

Also remember to use lots of speed and start small when applying it on the trail. I've dented and knocked my rear out of true just trying to hop roots going too slow and landing square on the obstacle. Speed seems to be crucial.

Also remember to use lots of speed and start small when applying it on the trail. I've dented and knocked my rear out of true just trying to hop roots going too slow and landing square on the obstacle. Speed seems to be crucial.

Roots, I just roll over them no problem. I'm more concerned about logs, tree trunks and rocks across the trail.

Honestly, I didn't think that video really touched on the techniques very well.

Agree about learning on a hardtail. That will teach you the proper technique better than on a full suspension bike. It's a combination of wrists and hip movement. And I agree a pump track is good for learning as well.

And wear shin pads.

Honestly, I didn't think that video really touched on the techniques very well.

Agree about learning on a hardtail. That will teach you the proper technique better than on a full suspension bike. It's a combination of wrists and hip movement. And I agree a pump track is good for learning as well.

I guess I need to upgrade my wife's bike then, N+1 would seriously get me a divorce...

Roots, I just roll over them no problem. I'm more concerned about logs, tree trunks and rocks across the trail.
Lol. Right, but if you go from bunny hopping in your driveway to a 12" log on the trail, you gon' die. Try implementing the hop on roots and tiny trees and stuff in actual trail riding to learn speed and timing. Going 3 ft in the air don't mean spit if you land on the front side of your rear wheel and go ass over ears.

In that case, adjust the compression and rebound settings on the rear shock to be stiffer. You want the bike to give you as little "help" as possible. Then when you get better you can start to use the bike to your advantage when needed. But it helps to have the raw technique to be instinctual.

When you finish a session and your forearms are killing you, you'll know you're getting there.

And I agree - jump everything you see on the trail.

Lol. Right, but if you go from bunny hopping in your driveway to a 12" log on the trail, you gon' die. Try implementing the hop on roots and tiny trees and stuff in actual trail riding to learn speed and timing. Going 3 ft in the air don't mean spit if you land on the front side of your rear wheel and go ass over ears.

Hopping on roots while riding Ringwood would be kind of pointless...you will always land on the next one.

Leo, since I wont be ridding untill my broken ankle heals, you can borrow my hardtail, or one of my pumptrack bikes to practice with if you want. I'm serious. Once I'm cleared to get around more, maybe I can go to the pumptrack and give you some support from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Hopping on roots while riding Ringwood would be kind of pointless...
It's all about the timing and getting used to approaching the obstacle. Hopping standing still or at a slow pace is fine for getting the tires off the ground, but you'll really want to consider ramping up slowly in trail application.

Leo, since I wont be ridding untill my broken ankle heals, you can borrow my hardtail, or one of my pumptrack bikes to practice with if you want. I'm serious. Once I'm cleared to get around more, maybe I can go to the pumptrack and give you some support from the sidelines.

In for pump track coaching session

Back
Top Bottom