Lifting rear wheel with flat pedals...but how?

serviceguy

I've been trying to be more conscious about riding skills lately and tried to actually bunny-hop rather than lift the front wheel and ride over stuff hoping for the best. I've watched pretty much all YT videos on the subject and while I have no problem lifting the front wheel I am having somewhat of an hard time lifting the rear while riding flats. Yesterday was the worse, each time I tried and lift the rear my feet would just fly off the pedals...same shoes (Giro Jacket) same pedals (DMR V12).

Any suggestion? And no, fire and new bike is not an available option.

w_b

First I learned to track stand. Then from there I did some bouncing. Just compressing and extending, no need to leave the ground yet. Then Bounce more. Then use your bars to help pull up. You be hoppin.

Then do it while moving.

serviceguy

First I learned to track stand. Then from there I did some bouncing. Just compressing and extending, no need to leave the ground yet. Then Bounce more. Then use your bars to help pull up. You be hoppin.

Then do it while moving.

I don't have any issue lifting the front, it's just the rear while the front is already up in the air (or not) that eludes me. I can bounce on both wheels to hop over small hurdles, but I'd like to get the proper technique to up my game a little.

Reactions: w_b

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I switched to flats when I was getting into more technical riding, and I rode them for two years. I also could not figure this out, and I wasn't able to get over larger logs because of it. I ended up going back to clipless so I can cheat. Sorry, I'm no help at all :p

Mathers

Practice getting your weight back on the bike more. It's really leverage to lean back and pop up.

I feel like this is trying to explain how to wiggle your ears.

1568660359082.png

w_b

I don't have any issue lifting the front, it's just the rear while the front is already up in the air (or not) that eludes me. I can bounce on both wheels to hop over small hurdles, but I'd like to get the proper technique to up my game a little.

Use the bars to torque the bike, bias it to the back and you will pull up evenly. Easier with FS.

pkovo

maybe try rollin slow and lifting just the rear repeatedly. Not high, or real hard, but just repeat the motion and eventually it should kind of click. It's kind of an "odd" motion, a little back and up, but once it clicks, and you repeat it a bunch, it becomes natural. Then you can piece the rest together, because lifting the rear is the hardest part.

moose35

Think of it like scraping dog shit off the bottom of your shoes. But before you scrape the shit off point your toes down a little to make a wedge where your feet cant actually slip off the pedals.

TimBay

I found the Seths Bike Hacks bumny hop video to be the most helpful. The meerkat method made it all easier. I also just had a breakthrough yesterday in hopping: I had been over-extending my legs while bringimg the front up. By keeping them bent more, it's allowed me to get a better jumping position. Are you pointing your toes down to grip the pedals?

Edit: I'm still by no means very good at this.

Reactions: Tim

sundaydoug

It's just like doing an ollie on a skateboard. Front comes up, then pressure is put on the front while it's in the air to make the rear come up.

Practice doing this in one fluid motion - while coasting pull your weight back so that the front wheel comes up, then while the front wheel is in the air quickly shift your weight forward and push forward on the bars. While you push forward on the bars bend your knees to allow your feet and body to suck up the back of the bike as it comes up. Helps big time to have the seat down and out of the way for this. Maybe put a very small obstacle in front of you to try and hop over.

Keep practicing and watching videos, you'll get it. I promise.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Stand next to you bike, holding the handlebars. put foot on pedal, rotate cranks to 3oclock and then lift the bike off the ground with your foot. This gives you and idea of the motion to do rear wheel lifts.

Last edited:

mtbiker87

You cant think about it as pulling up with your feet, cause that isnt what gets you in the air. That just pulls your feet off the pedals. Its preloading your whole body, and the bike, and launching the both objects into the air as one. Like jumping on a trampoline. It's not moving one part of your body that gets you airborne, its moving your whole body at once.

mtbiker87

Get a hardtail, take a short ride from Ringwood to the west milford pump track, and spend a few hours learning how to pump. Feel what it's like to move as one with the bike and terrain.

Top Bottom