Lifting rear wheel with flat pedals...but how?

Wow, I completely botched the title of the thread, it should have been ‘Can you please confuse the hell out of me about riding a bike, any bike, anywhere and anytime?’.

@jimvreeland, what does bop stand for and if it is anything like what is shown in those video you posted, how do you combine it with a bunny hop? I may be very tired, but I can’t see how any of that works! That slowmo of Rob Warner looks like his rear tire is going to explode!

Wow, I completely botched the title of the thread, it should have been ‘Can you please confuse the hell out of me about riding a bike, any bike, anywhere and anytime?’.

@jimvreeland, what does bop stand for and if it is anything like what is shown in those video you posted, how do you combine it with a bunny hop. I may be very tired! That slowmo of Rob Warner looks like his rear tire is going to explode!

it goes under other names - 'jap tap' or 'zap' or blip technique on moto

hit the front tire on the upper side of the log which pushes it and the rest of the bike into the air -
with timing, you are unloading the back of the bike at the same time, and everything goes up.
throw your hands forward, and rotate them down, this gets the bike's front to go down and back to go up (the ollie reference)

think of it as a ramp for the front tire which is so steep that the back tire never hits it. ?????

@Jefflenosky did a clinic/ride at jorbafest a few years back which i attended. one of the tricks was understanding how to disconnect
your body from the bike - meaning get your body going and bring the bike with you (the speed factor) - or if you bury the fork, pull it out, cause your body hasn't
committed to the otb until you pass the bars.

it goes under other names - 'jap tap' or 'zap' or blip technique on moto

hit the front tire on the upper side of the log which pushes it and the rest of the bike into the air -
with timing, you are unloading the back of the bike at the same time, and everything goes up.
throw your hands forward, and rotate them down, this gets the bike's front to go down and back to go up (the ollie reference)

think of it as a ramp for the front tire which is so steep that the back tire never hits it. ?????

@Jefflenosky did a clinic/ride at jorbafest a few years back which i attended. one of the tricks was understanding how to disconnect
your body from the bike - meaning get your body going and bring the bike with you (the speed factor) - or if you bury the fork, pull it out, cause your body hasn't
committed to the otb until you pass the bars.

I kid you not, when I tried and google jaz tap I’ve got tap dance links, when I added mtb I got a message that I crashed the search engine.

I appreciate everybody’s input but this is about to break the internet!

I kid you not, when I tried and google jaz tap I’ve got tap dance links, when I added mtb I got a message that I crashed the search engine.

I appreciate everybody’s input but this is about to break the internet!

i'd guess that jap tap is depricated, cause not pc.

let Kevin show you multiple techniques.

@jimvreeland, what does bop stand for and if it is anything like what is shown in those video you posted, how do you combine it with a bunny hop? I may be very tired, but I can’t see how any of that works! That slowmo of Rob Warner looks like his rear tire is going to explode!
In this case, bop means bump. You're bumping the lifted front wheel onto the log which will send it higher then you push the bars forward while scooping your feet up to get the back wheel up onto the log.

Yeah. That used to be called a Jap Tap. In trials it's still called a front tire tap. I call it a bop because it's the closest werd to the duration of the action. It's very fast. Pull the front wheel up. Bop. Unweight the rear and push forward. I personally don't pull up on the pedals at all and can get the movement just in the forearms.

Yeah. That used to be called a Jap Tap. In trials it's still called a front tire tap. I call it a bop because it's the closest werd to the duration of the action. It's very fast. Pull the front wheel up. Bop. Unweight the rear and push forward. I personally don't pull up on the pedals at all and can get the movement just in the forearms.

jap tap is also racist!

My local trail has three downed logs along a straight, slightly uphill section. Fat-biking the first two is not so bad, but that third one is a really momentum killer. I look forward to that one every ride...

I didn’t read all the responses.. don’t let anyone fool you... its all in the arms arms and shoulders

@stb222 gave a good exercise to do to get the feel

Flat Pedals on the bmx bike.. all pull / push with the arms and shoulders. You lift your feet / legs / bend knees to keep the weight off the rear end so your arms can do all the work
46F474C2-C793-4CE0-A7A3-122A4D8C11F4.jpeg

I didn’t read all the responses.. don’t let anyone fool you... its all in the arms arms and shoulders

Flat Pedals on the bmx bike.. all pull / push with the arms and shoulders. You lift your feet / legs / bend knees to keep the weight off the rear end so your arms can do all the work
View attachment 107213
Nut I have stick arms and can bunny hop...or at least could

View attachment 107213
Eh, at 220 non athletic pounds and 53 years of age I don’t see that happening for me yet. Maybe when I shed a few more pounds. Thanks though.

Did you mean this?

Stand next to you bike, holding the handlebars. put foot on pedal, rotate cranks to 3oclock and then lift the bike off the ground with your foot. This gives you and idea of the motion to do rear wheel lifts.
I am standing on the right side of my bike, holding the grips the cranks horizontal with the right pedal forward and my left foot on it?[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom