LBS vs Online Difference

50252_88169668551_2337_n.jpg

I'm going to see another LBS later today. I guess this is the best way to compare prices, LBS vs LBS.

I may even drop by one of the SEVERAL LBS's I frequent just to have a beer and hang out.

I support the LBS whenever I can, but I'm also not affraid to haggle with them on pricing. Any sale is better than no sale as long as they have some profit margin. Sometimes its better to sell 10 helmets at $1 profit then 1 helmet at $10 profit.

A little bump in volume in a given month can sometimes net them slightly better pricing on their next re-order of the 10 helmets. Plus if they can get rid of current year stock, they'll be able to get the newer models in quicker and more of them.

I think the dickiest of the dick moves is to go try on shoes at the store to get your fit figured out, then buy them online.

So if I go into a bike shop, try on 15 pairs of shoes, find out my "size" but the brands in that store either dont feel comfy or I dont like the way they look, but then find one online (different brand) that looks cool and buy it and it fits and feels comfy, that makes me a dick? wow.

Why so snarky? That is not what the post was suggesting...

and BTW, you guys misunderstood the shoes post/scenario but its no big deal...moving on...

I understand, and agree with Shaggz. I dont think you understood the intent of what SmooveP was saying here.

Then we rode to the nearest LBS on LBI (Walters Bike Shop, we were on vacation).

Glad to hear that Walters is still in business and was able to help you out. I used to live in Manahawkin as a kid and that was my go to shop.

As far as the LBS vs Online deal I think everyone covered the basics here.

Like most I try to support the local shops as much as I can but sometimes the prices for parts online are too good to pass up.

I definitely went local when I bought my winter riding boots, and I've bought tires, tubes and a chain all local this past year as well.

Chances are good that when you support a local shop, you are support the exact people who are working hard to keep the trails you love OPEN and in good riding condition. If you ride 6mr this is especially true.

The main reason why I support Halters and other LBS, while donating material and time to trail maintenance. The work Jay by himself alone at 6MR is incomparable to any online vendor that offers you 10% off.

I've always found the prices at Halter's to be very competitive. (Not all LBSs are, though). When I factor in all the free advice i get, the knowledgeable staff and the awesome trail building at 6 Mile I think it's more than competitive; it's a bargain.

I agree with everyone on this topic. I buy most parts online since I do all work myself except certain things such as wheel truing or quick repairs beyond my skills. In that case my local LBS in awesome! I can bring my things to fix no matter what time of the day it is and I'm getting VIP treatment. I value this a lot because I trust them and I'm getting instant attention since I'm regular customer. You can't get that online. Even better, if I'm in the rush when they are very busy they do my repairs first because they know I'll be back next week.

Hey guys! I just want to repeat what I said earlier. I didn't create the thread to convince myself to buy from a LBS because my intention is really to buy from LBS. My question is about what is reasonable if there is even a way to quantify it.

Honestly its a little unfair since we don't get responses from anyone representing the online stores. I know most of you guys either work or own an LBS or have good personal relations with people in the LBS and I respect all your POV. But this doesnt answer my question:)

I just visited another LBS near me yesterday and I gave them the list I need. He quoted me $141 less than the first one. So right now, the 1st LBS gave me a price which is 40% higher than my online price and the 2nd one gave me 23% higher.

So right now, we have a range of 23~40%? My source is just 2 LBS so this may not be the average but if you guys look at it, the margin is so far.

I know we get a lot from LBS but how do we know if we are paying too much? I know there are so many good LBS but this doesnt mean that there are no LBS that is overcharging us.

Like what the other poster said earlier, cant we or the LBS do something about the "dumping" of products by manufacturers to online store for a very low price? If the manufacturers can give the online store a very low price, then why not offer the same to LBS?

Also, I dont believe most LBS buy lump quantities of parts and stock it in their warehouse. Based on what I saw, they still have to order it from the manufacturer or somewhere. So what will prevent the LBS from buying the parts from the cheap online store and charge us the LBS price?

Again, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LBS as I am still going to get my parts from them. This is just for discussion on what we think is reasonable or acceptable for you personally. I think this will benefit both us riders and the LBS.

Just curious, why hasn't the strictly repair shop model been adopted more? So pretty much a guy or group of guys working out of a garage, you bring your bike in with part in hand, they do the install and you just pay for the service. My buddy goes to this place and I believe they follow that model. Before I learned to make most repairs out of necessity, a place like that would've been right up my ally. Or take it even one step further, drop the bike off without the new part, they order from the same site you would've ordered from at the same price and besides the service fee, you pay a convenience fee of say 10% for them putting in the extra work of ordering said part.

Hey guys! I just want to repeat what I said earlier. I didn't create the thread to convince myself to buy from a LBS because my intention is really to buy from LBS. My question is about what is reasonable if there is even a way to quantify it.

Honestly its a little unfair since we don't get responses from anyone representing the online stores. I know most of you guys either work or own an LBS or have good personal relations with people in the LBS and I respect all your POV. But this doesnt answer my question:)

I just visited another LBS near me yesterday and I gave them the list I need. He quoted me $141 less than the first one. So right now, the 1st LBS gave me a price which is 40% higher than my online price and the 2nd one gave me 23% higher.

So right now, we have a range of 23~40%? My source is just 2 LBS so this may not be the average but if you guys look at it, the margin is so far.

I know we get a lot from LBS but how do we know if we are paying too much? I know there are so many good LBS but this doesnt mean that there are no LBS that is overcharging us.

Like what the other poster said earlier, cant we or the LBS do something about the "dumping" of products by manufacturers to online store for a very low price? If the manufacturers can give the online store a very low price, then why not offer the same to LBS?

Also, I dont believe most LBS buy lump quantities of parts and stock it in their warehouse. Based on what I saw, they still have to order it from the manufacturer or somewhere. So what will prevent the LBS from buying the parts from the cheap online store and charge us the LBS price?

Again, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST LBS as I am still going to get my parts from them. This is just for discussion on what we think is reasonable or acceptable for you personally. I think this will benefit both us riders and the LBS.

The average online price for X.0 Shifter Set is above $200. Few sites can offer them for less but some of thene don't have any reputation other probably don't have them in stock.

Just curious, why hasn't the strictly repair shop model been adopted more? So pretty much a guy or group of guys working out of a garage, you bring your bike in with part in hand, they do the install and you just pay for the service. My buddy goes to this place and I believe they follow that model. Before I learned to make most repairs out of necessity, a place like that would've been right up my ally. Or take it even one step further, drop the bike off without the new part, they order from the same site you would've ordered from at the same price and besides the service fee, you pay a convenience fee of say 10% for them putting in the extra work of ordering said part.

When I read your first sentence, this was the first place that popped into my mind. I still have not visited there though, but have been meaning to stop in since it is nearby.

The answer to that is likely no. Like Jdog said, it is all about buying power. The online guys reach so many people that they can buy thousands of whatever, where even the busiest store may be able to buy 50. Simple business knowledge tells you that each time you do a different transaction, the cost of the product goes up due to shipping and admin costs, so the company can't give the same price for selling to 2 online places as it would 200 LBS's.

Found this on craigslist=

Business FOR SALE: LBS

Settle down in this beutiful downtown bike shop. Where you can enjoy working long hours and weekends for almost nothing. Enjoy the benefits of carrying large inventories of products that will be obsolete in less than 12 months time. Good luck finding employees who will want to work for less than what you make. Enjoy watching every dime you make get mailed into the NJ div of taxation and various other 'non profit' organizations. Dont worry if you fail because YOU will not be able to collect unemployment. And the #1 reason anyone should open a bike shop....you get to answer the question "Why is it cheaper on the internet" on a daily basis.

Did I miss anything?

Back
Top Bottom