Lake MXZ302 Winter Shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not So Fast

Winter Shoe or Bootsies?

I'm hoping to start a discussion on the pros and cons of Winter Shoes vs Bootsies. Please chime in with your experience and expert commentary.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
No contest...

I'm hoping to start a discussion on the pros and cons of Winter Shoes vs Bootsies. Please chime in with your experience and expert commentary.
My recent experience with the Lakes, vs. 16 years of booties, leads me to believe that there is no comparison: Winter shoes rule.

walter

Fourth Party
I still have yet to use a winter weight sock with my Lakes. My woolie boolies are still in the package.

ArmyOfNone

Hmm...

I experimented with a few things during the cross season. IMO the decision comes down to two things: How much money do you have/willing to spend? and/or how much can you tolerate the cold?

These combos worked in 35 below, some better than others.

Wool Socks and Regular shoes: I think the coldest I got these down to was 34 and windy. My feet were like ice blocks. This was not comfortable, although I managed to block out the frozen stumps attached to my pedals. I have various wool socks from woolie boolie to sock guy and heavy duty craft ski socks. Will not keep you dry (obviously)

Booties with Regular shoes: Provide much more insulation from the cold and from the wet elements, but not for to long. I have used chemical toe warmers which are great and will keep you toasty for hours but forget it if your feet get wet. On the road I have been out with my summer shoes, booties and toe warmers comfortably in 28-32* for up to four hours.

Winter Shoes: There are so many choices out there. I ride the shimano version. As Ben can attest to (I think hes tried them all on) sizing is an issue(pick a size that you can wear thick socks). Some are more bulky than other (ie LAKES) but offer probably the best product. Specialized, Answer, Sidi and Pearl Izumi offer versions as well.

My shimanos have kept my feet dry for the past two years. Not to long ago I was standing in ankle high freezing water and came out warm and dry.

The cold elements are something to get used to. Some guys and gals can tolerate the cold more than others. Your not going to be sitting in front of the fire toasty but you should be comfortable enough to get your ride in and not suffer to much.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have been going the bottie route for price reason because it is tough to swallow 200+ dollar shoes that you wear for 4 months. I almost bought some Lake a week or two ago but I really need to start paying off some debt before dropping more cash. I get by with the booties and a thick craft sock that I got last year at the usgp race at mercer. I think it is actually a ski sock. Most of my rides aren't much more than an hour, so I am usually ok. I did 2.5 hours a week or two ago with chemical toes warmers and my toes were chilly by the end, but not horrible.

booties = inexpensive, semi warm
winter shoes for the long haul

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Winter Shoes

We have been selling, riding and dealing with winter shoes for many years and I have never been as impressed as I am with the new Specialized Defroster Mountain Shoe. This shoe is a huge winner over anything else I have seen or worn. Most noticeably, the light weight (with no compromise in warmth). My biggest complaint with all of the other offerings is the excessive weight. This is a huge factor. Its like trying to go running in Tims, doable, but why do it?? Also, the Defroster has that ultrasweet BG footbed that just fits the foot like no other. As far as the warming and waterproof qualities, I have been riding these shoes for the past two months from 15 degrees to 40 degrees and sloppy wet and they are simply awesome. Definately a runaway winner in my book.:D

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=40661&eid=342

Last edited:

Kmoodymz3

I've been doing the neoprene bootie and toe warmer thing for years and have been pretty happy with the set up, at least down to low 30s. One thing I really like with booties is my shoes stay clean. When you do lots of road riding in crappy weather it helps to keep the road grime and salt off your shoes. Just toss the booties in the wash every now and then. Just don't put then in the dryer.

I have avoided the winter shoes for both the heavy weight and the significant $. However I may have to check out the Specialized Defrosters. Anyone else try these yet? How narrow are they? My toes get cold easily and if the toe box is too snug they go numb really fast.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My biggest complaint with all of the other offerings is the excessive weight. This is a huge factor. Its like trying to go running in Tims, doable, but why do it??

For me, riding 14 or 15 mph is better than sitting at home and not riding. I wear the Lakes, and they're not light, but I don't think they're heavy either. They allow me to ride when it's 20 degrees and they stand up to the temps well. I get no less enjoyment out of going 4-5 mph slower at this time of year.

BiknBen

However I may have to check out the Specialized Defrosters. Anyone else try these yet? How narrow are they?

I've been on a quest to find a Winter shoes that I like. I tried the Defrosters and they are currently at the top of my list. The toe box is roomy and they are wider than many other shoes I've tried. The 44 Defroster is very similar in fit to my 44 Wide Sidi Dominators.

JohnnieA

Specialized describes the Defrostrer as "lightly insulated." I have a pair of Specialized BG Trails & they are really comfortable, and somewhat warm since they have no mesh or vents. I'd really like something warmer & waterproof, but "lightly insulated" is what's keeping me from buying them. I've been eyeballing the Northwave Celsius. Anyone have any idea how the Northwave compares to the Defrosters, or if the Defrosters are warm enough to wear into the teens? Thanks

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
Anyone have any idea how the Northwave compares to the Defrosters, or if the Defrosters are warm enough to wear into the teens? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I can definately say that the Defrosters are incredibly warm. The material choice is great as you stay warm and dry without sweating in these shoes. A thin pair of wool socks will take you down to 15 degrees no problem. I have two early morning rides this past week before christmas, 17 and 15 degrees and no problem whatsoever. The toe box is quite roomy and even with my size 13, I have no crowding. I have not worn the shoes over 40 degrees, but I would think that they would be way too warm for that temp range, these are definately cold weather shoes.

BiknBen

I can definately say that the Defrosters are incredibly warm.

There are quite a few reviews on the web that say the opposite. I tried on the Defrosters and liked the fit. I'm not able to pull the trigger cause many reviews stated that the Defrosters were NOT insulated enough. They said it was a great waterproof shoe for three season riding. Some even were using booties over the Defroster.

I'm glad that you are happy with them. Others have provided mixed reviews.

Reviews:
http://www.velodramatic.com/archives/10
http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5999

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I have & sell both the Defrosters & the Lakes. The Lakes are heavier but way warmer than the defrosters. I personally like the fit of the Defrosters better so I wear those more often. If its really f'n cold I'll wear the Lakes.

THATmanMANNY

I'm not sure even where to post this but this is the best thread to do so and bring up this dead thread.

I've never seen the Lake MX140 till just now. Is that new? How is that shoe? It looks way better than the bigger brother and looks like it feel more like a cycling shoe than a boot. Any thoughts?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm not sure even where to post this but this is the best thread to do so and bring up this dead thread.

I've never seen the Lake MX140 till just now. Is that new? How is that shoe? It looks way better than the bigger brother and looks like it feel more like a cycling shoe than a boot. Any thoughts?

Hmmm, I think they are new...'haven't seen 'em before. No matter for me...doesn't come in the duck foot size.

ArmyOfNone

they dont 3M insulation. not sure how much different than they would be than the others. however they are in the same price range.:hmmm:

Frank

Sasquatch
:( sadly I am having some issues with mine. The stitching on the heel cup has broken and the shoe is coming apart. I've only had them a month.....bummer. I must have gotten a friday afternoon shoe. Now I'll see what the warranty is like.

update: Lake repaired my shoes and returned them promptly....they restored my faith in them. Now I hope the nylon stitching holds up better than the cotton.

Update.....nylon thread sucks too. :mad: Sent Lake another email, we'll see what happens now. Don't get me wrong, I do love the shoes but their durability is an issue.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Update.....nylon thread sucks too. :mad: Sent Lake another email, we'll see what happens now. Don't get me wrong, I do love the shoes but their durability is an issue.

i fixed mine myself and they have been just fine, I guess looping thread around the same 2" area works :D Mine heel threads came out really quick once I got them, had a shoe maker fix them and they came out but since I did it myself they have been good. It was a PITA though and really shouldnt happen with shoes this expensive.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep

Call me if you don't get anywhere with Lake.

Ask for Chris and tell him you bought them from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom