Knee Pain

xc62701

Hey guys. I've been doing some road trianing to help with the upcoming mtb season and I've been getting a lot of pain underneath my right kneecap. My only change was my shoes and saddle. I'm thinking the culprit is the saddle. Would it be a change in saddle height that could relieve the pain? Any suggestions?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i occasionally get this when i go back to riding fixed gear after some time off. it usually goes away after a few rides.

rocknrollgirl

I got a new bike in October and had knee pain right away. A simple adjustment of the seat took care of the problem.

And it was a very small adjustment.

Maurice

Get a good bike fitting. Believe me if you ride a lot you don't want to get even a beginning of tendonitis.

Take care,

Maurice

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yes

Get a good bike fitting. Believe me if you ride a lot you don't want to get even a beginning of tendonitis.

Take care,

Maurice
Strongly second Maurice here.

Road riding, with its more "static" nature, will quickly reveal issues with bike fit that can go unnoticed in the woods because of the constant shifting around on the bike. Only a professional who checks you out will be able to give you a specific diagnosis, but there's a good bet that your saddle is too low. Fore/aft positioning of the saddle, as well as cleat positioning, can also play a role in this.

PedalPaddles

I agree, a professional fitting on a road bike can save you a lot of pain in the future. It can also increase your power output by making you more efficient. You can then copy the fit over to your mtn bike.

Keep in mind, that changing your shoes or pedals could change the distance from the bottom of your foot to the pedal axle. This would require a seat height adjustment to keep things the same as before. Also, that pain is a common complaint from people who push bigger gears. For the immediate future you can try spinning more in a smaller gear.

Last edited:

xc62701

Professional Fit - Road/MTB

Who does professional fitting? I think I'm going to be in need of a real professional fit for my road and maybe even the mtb. Does anyone know of someone in the north jersey area that does a quality job with this? Please let me know.

D

DANSPANK

I was just at cyclecraft and overheard the guy talking to a customer and saying that a fitting on their special bike will take about 2 hours and costs $200.

On Sunday I was at Bicycle Habitat in New York and they said that the fitting would be about $60-$70.

xc62701

Yes that's what I'm afraid of. Some people will do a basic fit to make sure things are kinda ok. I want someone that can analyze my form and help utilize where I make power by adjusting my position etc. I'm sure it's going to cost a bit but I bet it's worth it - especially if I'm getting pains because of an improper fit.

D

DANSPANK

Cyclecraft had a stationary bike where all the bits and pieces were moveable and had digits everywhere. I think the technical name is a whajumacallit. I'm sure they give a really good fitting... For $200 squids anyway!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ryan,

Tough spot you're in right now. How many days a week are you riding? 5? 6? If you make drastic changes to your bike fit it could hurt, a lot. On the other hand your fit is probably off enough now that you're hurting yourself. If I'm you I make the changes very slowly, small increments. Maybe consider dropping to 4 days a week until you nail this down.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
.. I might know someone. (Norm please ignore)

On a road bike the body positioning is much more important than the brand or model bike that you choose.

I have been playing with some very cool toys to aid in knee alignment,

Check out:

http://www.aline.com/

-a sweet alignment insole that can make HUGE changes in you knee over ankle positioning.

http://bikefitkit.com/fit_kit/rad_kit.php

-RAD- Determines ideal cleat alignment. Works with all major mt and road pedals.

http://www.bicyclefit.com/wedge.htm

Thin angular wedges that are used to compensate for natural forefoot angulation. The amount that your fore foot is angled in either the Varus vs Valgus plane is corrected. These work! They can also be stacked in alternating directions to offset known leg length discrepancies.

I have spent countless hours on this subject. I typically do 3-4 fittings a day (I did 3 today) 5 days a week in the busy season so please PM me If you want a fitting at a very fair price. (Norm, I apologize in advance for the sales pitch.)

jdog

Shop Keep
No apology needed. Do your thing as you see fit.

Acually Norm I would like to invite you down for a fitting yourself. I would like for you to see what I am all about in person.

Let me know if you are interested.

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Acually Norm I would like to invite you down for a fitting yourself. I would like for you to see what I am all about in person.

Let me know if you are interested.

j

I would love to reply with some wise-ass remark, but nothing comes to mind that would not make me look like an even bigger dick than I am. As with everyone, time is difficult to come by and a trip down to your shop and back home probably ends up being quite a long endeavor. We have friends in Hillsborough. Maybe next time we're down there I can swing by and say hello.

jdog

Shop Keep
I would love to reply with some wise-ass remark, but nothing comes to mind that would not make me look like an even bigger dick than I am. As with everyone, time is difficult to come by and a trip down to your shop and back home probably ends up being quite a long endeavor. We have friends in Hillsborough. Maybe next time we're down there I can swing by and say hello.

If you have friends anywhere you can't be that much of a dick..
:)

ArmyOfNone

from what i hear, norm is a big....

teddy-bear.gif

xc62701

Ryan,

Tough spot you're in right now. How many days a week are you riding? 5? 6? If you make drastic changes to your bike fit it could hurt, a lot. On the other hand your fit is probably off enough now that you're hurting yourself. If I'm you I make the changes very slowly, small increments. Maybe consider dropping to 4 days a week until you nail this down.

I've been riding 4 days a week. I'm taking a couple of days to recoup and then I'll ease back into it with some new saddle height adjustments.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been riding 4 days a week. I'm taking a couple of days to recoup and then I'll ease back into it with some new saddle height adjustments.

Good deal, and good luck. Also, let us know how it goes and what ends up working for you.

Fred - nice pic!

Top Bottom