Knee Pain

Jason...is it considered a good practice to get fitted on a road bike and then "copy" that geometry over to a mtn bike?

Jason...is it considered a good practice to get fitted on a road bike and then "copy" that geometry over to a mtn bike?

The demands of a road bike are different. Unless you do a lot of bunny hopping and drops on your road bike your postion should be slightly different.

Sort of a case by case thing.

j

my experience

IMO: Saddle height and bottom bracket drop ought to be very close, particularly if you go back and forth between bikes on a daily basis. Both measurements are within 1cm on all of my bikes.

I extend this same principle for reach to the bars, in that a consistent back angle, combined with the saddle position, will keep the rotational position of my hips in the same vicinity.

All of this adds up to my body not needing to re-adapt to the bike as I go back and forth.

Again, YMMV, but all of the above is gleaned from lots of reading and years spent sorting out my position.

All of this adds up to my body not needing to re-adapt to the bike as I go back and forth.

Again, YMMV, but all of the above is gleaned from lots of reading and years spent sorting out my position.

i guess you are not a fan of the kama sutra...

Since I referenced this thread in Ryan's other thread today, let me comment on it. I did eventually get down to J's shop and have a bike fit a few weeks ago. I can say without question it was well worth the trip. And thanks to Jeff/Fred's directions, I was able to get to the shop in just over 40 minutes. J knows his stuff.

Why'd you have to go and bring that back up. Now I'm gonna go in the corner and get all depressed. You're such a meany! :(:blah:

What? Why? Did you get a bike fit? You could probably get down to J's shop in just over an hour. Absolutely worth the drive. If you're lucky, he'll give you a slice of pizza while you're there :)

Nope I really need to go get a pro fit. The big question is how much $$$. I know they can be really pricey.

Give J a call. The shop number is 732-329-9022. I think they open at 11. I'm not sure what the price is, but I know it's much less than $200.

Crazy that I used to bust JDog's balls for advertising on here now I push people to go there.

Crazy that I used to bust JDog's balls for advertising on here now I push people to go there.
When it's the real deal, you have to give the props. That's all there is to it.

And let's face it, there's always someone else whose balls need to be busted anyway.:D

I just went to the shop last week for a fit on my mtn bike. What a difference compared to my initial setup. Jason's a very cool guy that knows his stuff cause he likes bikes. Needless to say i'll be spending more of my money there. (he just had to have me try on those $240 pair of sidi's ;) ) He also had a great selection of bikes that i don't need but defintely want!

And let's face it, there's always someone else whose balls need to be busted anyway.:D

What he said.

And besides, once somebody's balls are busted down to a fine powder, where is the fun in it?

What? Why? Did you get a bike fit? You could probably get down to J's shop in just over an hour. Absolutely worth the drive. If you're lucky, he'll give you a slice of pizza while you're there :)

I hear that J warms the pizza slices in the Shimano shoe oven. ewwwww.

Lets not forget about the back rubs afterwards.

As ChrisG says

Seat hieght is prolly too lo and fore or aft as well.

I would mess around with these during a ride to zero in on your proper adjustments..............unless you want to fork out the cash ofr a Professional to do this for you.

Take Norm's advice, buy something at Halters, like pedals or cleats and get Jdog to adjust them for you. I worked on my position a bit their today and can't wait to try it out, made some small adjustments, and got road shoes and pedals. Bars dropped a tad, seat fore a bit and feels good. He gave me some good tips on spinning smooth and some exercises to do to help. Worth the trip!

Back
Top Bottom