kayaking

antgold

I'm in the game of purchasing a kayak .
is it for recreational peddling only - in calm water .
I'm thinking on tandem so I could take the kids , however sill should be able to peddle alone .(sometimes I'm not in the mood to attack Hartshorne hills ..:popcorn:)

I saw the Ocean Malibu Two or the Malibu two XL .

any suggestion and some recommendation ?

Thanks!
Ron

I had pretty much the same situation and was planning to buy a tandem, but was redirected by some long time paddlers. Tandems are great for multiple PADDLERS but are a bit much to paddle and portage on your own.
I ended up with a used Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. It has a large cockpit and I can get my kids in there (one at a time). I find that my kids don't want to be in a canoe, rowboat, or kayak for a real long time anyway, and when I go solo, its real easy.
Anyway, that's what I did. Good luck.

Attachments

• Lake George and Maine 163.jpg
    Lake George and Maine 163.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 30
Thanks, the Pungo 120 is on my list of possible suspects but had thought of a tandem as well. Thanks for the input and tips!

Go to the Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ. They have a huge selection and the staff there are very knowledgable and will get you the right set up for your needs. You can also test them out in a nearby pond. I went in there planning to buy an sit on top ocean kayak and after some discussions with them and some test drives I walked out with a sit in (17.5 Wilderness System Tempest)

Walter I mostly go out in the Barnegat Bay and Metedeconk River . I launch in the Beaver Dam Creek right down the street from my house. There are a lot of other places to launch within 2 miles from my house that put you in the Mansquan River (upper or lower), Forge Pond (near the Jersey Paddler), or the ocean.

I am lucky. My parents have a house on the Mullica river, down by Wharton. I just plop it in there. I took it up to Maine last summer and could put it in right from the Bar Harbor hotel (that's where the picture is from). I have also tried it in the Morris Canal, which is right where the Jorba Festival was last year. That's the closest place for me. I need to get those little wheel doohickeys to put it in a few other places requiring some portage. It's really just a toy for me at this point and I don't have a good roof rack, so I really haven't used it as much as I should.

Walter I mostly go out in the Barnegat Bay and Metedeconk River . I launch in the Beaver Dam Creek right down the street from my house. There are a lot of other places to launch within 2 miles from my house that put you in the Mansquan River (upper or lower), Forge Pond (near the Jersey Paddler), or the ocean.

I paddle all of those locations frequently....A group of us usually go out on the Conk on the weekends, hang out near F Cove and practice various skills and rolls. You may have seen us...we prefer being upside down or sideways in our boats :D

The Conk and Squan are great for night paddling too. on 20th Ave in Belmar there is a kayak beach. The break sucks, especially at high tide but hey, it's kayaks only so thats cool. You don't have to compete for waves with board surfers there.

Back
Top Bottom