kayaking

antgold

I'm in the game of purchasing a kayak .
is it for recreational peddling only - in calm water .
I'm thinking on tandem so I could take the kids , however sill should be able to peddle alone .(sometimes I'm not in the mood to attack Hartshorne hills ..:popcorn:)

I saw the Ocean Malibu Two or the Malibu two XL .

any suggestion and some recommendation ?

Thanks!
Ron

Suhr40

I had pretty much the same situation and was planning to buy a tandem, but was redirected by some long time paddlers. Tandems are great for multiple PADDLERS but are a bit much to paddle and portage on your own.
I ended up with a used Wilderness Systems Pungo 120. It has a large cockpit and I can get my kids in there (one at a time). I find that my kids don't want to be in a canoe, rowboat, or kayak for a real long time anyway, and when I go solo, its real easy.
Anyway, that's what I did. Good luck.

Attachments

• Lake George and Maine 163.jpg
    Lake George and Maine 163.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 30

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks, the Pungo 120 is on my list of possible suspects but had thought of a tandem as well. Thanks for the input and tips!

Rogers

Go to the Jersey Paddler in Brick NJ. They have a huge selection and the staff there are very knowledgable and will get you the right set up for your needs. You can also test them out in a nearby pond. I went in there planning to buy an sit on top ocean kayak and after some discussions with them and some test drives I walked out with a sit in (17.5 Wilderness System Tempest)

Rogers

Walter I mostly go out in the Barnegat Bay and Metedeconk River . I launch in the Beaver Dam Creek right down the street from my house. There are a lot of other places to launch within 2 miles from my house that put you in the Mansquan River (upper or lower), Forge Pond (near the Jersey Paddler), or the ocean.

Suhr40

I am lucky. My parents have a house on the Mullica river, down by Wharton. I just plop it in there. I took it up to Maine last summer and could put it in right from the Bar Harbor hotel (that's where the picture is from). I have also tried it in the Morris Canal, which is right where the Jorba Festival was last year. That's the closest place for me. I need to get those little wheel doohickeys to put it in a few other places requiring some portage. It's really just a toy for me at this point and I don't have a good roof rack, so I really haven't used it as much as I should.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Walter I mostly go out in the Barnegat Bay and Metedeconk River . I launch in the Beaver Dam Creek right down the street from my house. There are a lot of other places to launch within 2 miles from my house that put you in the Mansquan River (upper or lower), Forge Pond (near the Jersey Paddler), or the ocean.

I paddle all of those locations frequently....A group of us usually go out on the Conk on the weekends, hang out near F Cove and practice various skills and rolls. You may have seen us...we prefer being upside down or sideways in our boats :D

The Conk and Squan are great for night paddling too. on 20th Ave in Belmar there is a kayak beach. The break sucks, especially at high tide but hey, it's kayaks only so thats cool. You don't have to compete for waves with board surfers there.

Top Bottom