Hunting Season in WMA's 2019-2020

68nova200

I honestly would be happy to register my MTB and pay a yearly fee like with boats to help maintain the property. Since that isn't an option I try to be respectful of the property, but in all honesty it is the ATV's that are an issue in WC not the MTB.
It's idiots on ATVs that are doing the damage... and horses. Man do they tear up the trails.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK. Let's be honest. What upkeep happens at Wildcat? Anything in the 35 years (well it was private for some of those) that I have ever seen done here is all by volunteers.

I have purchased a hunting license for the last couple of years. Never hunted, nor do I have a desire to. BUT during the special coyote season, I can use my AR with 3 rounds in the mag and less than 80 grain ammo (not that I have done that either).

Last weekend some jackasses followed my trail into my yard on motos. Once you start down the hill you're screwed and have to go into the yard (unless you can actually ride). I think the closure of the state parks and given the guys comfort feeling no one is around so they can just go wild.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
While that statement looks great, it is @trailhead that clears the trees off the access paths just in case there is a hunting accident, and someone needs to be carted out. He also alerts the proper people if a tree comes down across one of the powerlines in there.
I believe he also alerted the town about the bridge that someone had undermined by cutting a stringer - to everyone's detriment, the bridge was removed and never replaced - I'm not sure all of us would have been that honest.

nobody wants to bother someone hunting. And i'm sure we've gone by them and never noticed - perhaps to the detriment of their success, and perhaps not - as i've heard that a little noise can get things moving away from the trail so easier to spot.

Plenty of roads up there to ride too - access up to the scout camp, and a few properties back there. which i think was the op?

I honestly would be happy to register my MTB and pay a yearly fee like with boats to help maintain the property. Since that isn't an option I try to be respectful of the property, but in all honesty it is the ATV's that are an issue in WC not the MTB.
I am certain that many Mountain Bikers, Motorcycle , ATV and Jeepsters would all be happy to pay a yearly fee. Maybe even get the horse people on board with a little license plate for the horse. :)

Wildwalker

Off topic of ATVs and trails... just a heads up spring turkey starts soon if not already, hunters DO NOT WEAR orange during turkey season. Just be mindful

68nova200

but they should not shoot at MTBers that do. never saw a turkey in orange.
The target for a turkey hunt is the head. Which is red white and blue. That said there aren't any hunters stupid enough to think a person on a bike is a turkey.

w_b

you'd be surprised. I know some truly stupid hunters. and if you're wrong, you're dead.

jackx

you'd be surprised. I know some truly stupid hunters. and if you're wrong, you're dead.
Hopefully the hunters do not think squealing disc brakes approaching their position is a rafter of turkeys...

Reactions: w_b

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions