Hunting Season in WMA's 2019-2020

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
For safety reasons and to avoid interference with hunting activities, access for off road cycling is reduced between September 15th and March 1st, Monday through Saturday. There are no riding restrictions on Sunday though hunting is still permitted.

In Wildcat Ridge WMA we have negotiated that the Wildcat Ridge Trail (Yellow) may be used all days and there are no riding restrictions on Sunday though hunting is still permitted.

Cyclists should make reasonable effort to avoid hunters and wear bright colors to increase visibility.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
If you notice vehicles parked in areas they are not normally, this is a good indicator of hunting activities and you should avoid using that trail.
Popular hunter parking areas are:
Meriden Rd at Beach Glen (East)
Meriden Rd across from Church
Meriden Road at Righter Mine (South)

Thank you

goodvibe

Quick question: I was thinking of going into the area on my gravel bike. I was going to stick with the fireroads and maybe the Oreland Railtrail. Would this not be advised during hunting season. I was thinking of this route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/31984133 Please let me know your thoughts. I am getting tired of the Bedminster area of gravel biking.

68nova200

No bikers pay attention to the riding rules at Wildcat. It really annoys the hunters. Who paid for the land that bikers are allowed to use.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Luckily hunting in the dark is illegal. Bring lights

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Quick question: I was thinking of going into the area on my gravel bike. I was going to stick with the fireroads and maybe the Oreland Railtrail. Would this not be advised during hunting season. I was thinking of this route: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/31984133 Please let me know your thoughts. I am getting tired of the Bedminster area of gravel biking.
The majority of that route looks like roads open to auto traffic, outside of the climb up to the hawk watch, and maybe that fireroad next to the reservoir.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
"hunters. Who paid for the land that bikers are allowed to use "

@68nova200
I don't want to loose your support, but I have seen this repeated many times and and it is not accurate from my knowledge with respect to Wildcat WMA.

That is not to say that the WMA rules should be ignored, but rather we are all equally vested and should respect one another.

I moved into the area just as the majority of what is now Wildcat Ridge WMA was being explored for development of homes and a golf course. The contemporary house with a long driveway behind where @graveyardman67 lives was the model home for perspective buyers. Further remnants of this is still evident by test holes with PVC pipes used for perc tests. The real-estate bubble of 1990, slowed progress of the development. At the same time, there was a local grass roots movement to save open space and the first petition to start an "open space trust fund" was presented in Rockaway Township. Raising taxes, to gather funds for land acquisition was a tough sell, and let me tell you going house to house to pitch the idea was quite an experience. But the numbers made sense when compared to building new schools. The petition was excepted, the creation of the trust fund passed, and so it was evident there was general popular support for land preservation. But could wildcat be saved? There was no money in the fund, so how can it be purchased from the developer? This is were the key folks that made it happen stepped in and obtained funding through the "Forest Legacy Program" which is federally backed though the USDA. Wow, just in time, all is great ..yes........no. There is always two sides and this is when the opposition attacked. Word was spread that the loss of revenue would be at the expense of Township jobs. There were town meetings, with packed rooms, where those in support of open space preservation stood before worried and angry town employees. As the pot boiled, those key folks went back to the table and negotiated compensation to the town for the loss of revenue. This compensation declined over time, but no jobs were lost. More parcels have been added to the WMA, like the "Brown Tract", which then used both Green Acres and the township open space trust funds to purchase.

Kaleidopete

Watershed trails are off limits to bikers, but the hunters were out today along Clinton Rd.
the one that got away!
Dsc04298.jpg

goodvibe

I am just looking for a way to respectfully ride in a new area with respect to the hunters. It is my goal to not go on the trails I was just curious about the fire roads in the area. I know that there are dirt road that go through the area that I am sure that cars are on and I was looking to stay on those and will probably avoid taking the fire road to the hawk watch.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
"hunters. Who paid for the land that bikers are allowed to use "

@68nova200
I don't want to loose your support, but I have seen this repeated many times and and it is not accurate from my knowledge with respect to Wildcat WMA.

That is not to say that the WMA rules should be ignored, but rather we are all equally vested and should respect one another.

I moved into the area just as the majority of what is now Wildcat Ridge WMA was being explored for development of homes and a golf course. The contemporary house with a long driveway behind where @graveyardman67 lives was the model home for perspective buyers. Further remnants of this is still evident by test holes with PVC pipes used for perc tests. The real-estate bubble of 1990, slowed progress of the development. At the same time, there was a local grass roots movement to save open space and the first petition to start an "open space trust fund" was presented in Rockaway Township. Raising taxes, to gather funds for land acquisition was a tough sell, and let me tell you going house to house to pitch the idea was quite an experience. But the numbers made sense when compared to building new schools. The petition was excepted, the creation of the trust fund passed, and so it was evident there was general popular support for land preservation. But could wildcat be saved? There was no money in the fund, so how can it be purchased from the developer? This is were the key folks that made it happen stepped in and obtained funding through the "Forest Legacy Program" which is federally backed though the USDA. Wow, just in time, all is great ..yes........no. There is always two sides and this is when the opposition attacked. Word was spread that the loss of revenue would be at the expense of Township jobs. There were town meetings, with packed rooms, where those in support of open space preservation stood before worried and angry town employees. As the pot boiled, those key folks went back to the table and negotiated compensation to the town for the loss of revenue. This compensation declined over time, but no jobs were lost. More parcels have been added to the WMA, like the "Brown Tract", which then used both Green Acres and the township open space trust funds to purchase.

Who pays for current upkeep? Serious question, I thought's that where the actual hunting funds went, not the initial land purchases.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Watershed trails are off limits to bikers

Not to change the topic or debate this, as I am under the impression that you are correct, but I find it interesting that this is not mentioned anywhere in the 22 page booklet that I received when picking up my hiking permit. Although it does specifically say "No fires, swimming, littering, unleashed pets, sunbathing, picnicking, all-terrain vehicles, or camping is permitted on Watershed property."

Also interesting is that the hiking permit also grants you access to "related uses" "such as photography, bird watching, and cross country skiing."

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not to change the topic or debate this, as I am under the impression that you are correct, but I find it interesting that this is not mentioned anywhere in the 22 page booklet that I received when picking up my hiking permit. Although it does specifically say "No fires, swimming, littering, unleashed pets, sunbathing, picnicking, all-terrain vehicles, or camping is permitted on Watershed property."

Also interesting is that the hiking permit also grants you access to "related uses" "such as photography, bird watching, and cross country skiing."

Can you take pictures of other people sunbathing?

Asking for a friend.

68nova200

"Revenues derived from these sales support, in whole or in part, the operations of the agency. This work includes the operation of two fish hatcheries and associated stocking programs, a pheasant farm, enforcement of fish and wildlife regulations, habitat protection, fish and wildlife research, wildlife management area maintenance and improvement, education, and other programs and activities. The number of licenses sold also figures in the amount of federal grants money the state receives from the federal Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Programs. "
Taken from the NJ fish and wildlife website. So if you want to support the funding of WMAs buy a hunting or fishing license and I'll help you explore a new hobby/addiction. License sales in NJ have been declining for the last 20 years, and its sad to see...

BPaze

I honestly would be happy to register my MTB and pay a yearly fee like with boats to help maintain the property. Since that isn't an option I try to be respectful of the property, but in all honesty it is the ATV's that are an issue in WC not the MTB.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions