Hunting Season in WMA's 2019-2020

JonF

So i rode my local WMA yesterday and knowing that legal hunting ends at 12:00, I rolled in at noon and started getting ready. There weren't many vehicles in this lot, maybe 2 that looked like they belonged to someone who hunts (truck+cap) so i figured anyone who was hunting was done and or scouting like previously mentioned. While getting ready, a few more vehicles pulled in for folks Kayaking, walking and cycling. I set out to hit some commonly known XC trails to the locals and since it rained fairly heavily, there were the usual puddles right near the lot where everyone passes through. To my surprise, there were a TON of fresh bike tracks there ALREADY and it was only 12:15! Now i'm not talking a track or two, the entire width of the trail where the standing mud is had fresh tracks illustrating that some extremely idiotic folks had been riding there DURING ACTIVE HUNTING! Come on folks, this is outright asinine. Do you want to get injured or worse, killed?

Read the fish and game hunting digest and educate yourselves on the schedule for your area, let's not get WMA's locked down because of a bad incident that can easily be avoided.

Click here for complete NJ Hunting Digest for all seasons and timeframes

Tl;Dr: Don't ride hunting areas where there's active FIREARM HUNTING in progress! Wait until the hunting cutoff time later in the day. Don't suicide yourself!

ryderX

So i rode my local WMA yesterday and knowing that legal hunting ends at 12:00, I rolled in at noon and started getting ready. There weren't many vehicles in this lot, maybe 2 that looked like they belonged to someone who hunts (truck+cap) so i figured anyone who was hunting was done and or scouting like previously mentioned. While getting ready, a few more vehicles pulled in for folks Kayaking, walking and cycling. I set out to hit some commonly known XC trails to the locals and since it rained fairly heavily, there were the usual puddles right near the lot where everyone passes through. To my surprise, there were a TON of fresh bike tracks there ALREADY and it was only 12:15! Now i'm not talking a track or two, the entire width of the trail where the standing mud is had fresh tracks illustrating that some extremely idiotic folks had been riding there DURING ACTIVE HUNTING! Come on folks, this is outright asinine. Do you want to get injured or worse, killed?

Read the fish and game hunting digest and educate yourselves on the schedule for your area, let's not get WMA's locked down because of a bad incident that can easily be avoided.

Click here for complete NJ Hunting Digest for all seasons and timeframes

Tl;Dr: Don't ride hunting areas where there's active FIREARM HUNTING in progress! Wait until the hunting cutoff time later in the day. Don't suicide yourself!
I think you may be preaching to the choir. You might want to get to the parking area around 7AM and talk to the folks who are heading out before the noontime rush.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions