how often do beginers walk climbs?

s4lnj

i feel like a real sissy out there, coming from bmx racing, i haven't figured out the horsepower vs rpms thing yet and find myself needing to walk molst climbs. i can get up them if i need to, but kill all my energy in the process because i'm just powering up them.

am i just that bad? this was my 3rd day in the trails.

You'll get there. Where are you riding? It does take some time but you have to hurt a little sometimes to make progress.

It's all about saddle time. I think many of us have been there. Do it enough and you'll try different things, ultimately figuring out what works best for you.

Norm is right, you do need to hurt a little bit sometimes in order to progress. You may learn to appreciate a lil' pain.

-Eric

gloucester county college..

they have a race this weekned there, i wanted to enter the beginers class, but if i can't make the climbs is that complete douchebagery?

Last edited:
No I'd say that beginner is a perfect place to start then. Have at it!

Anticipate the hills and get in a gear that's the most comfortable for you to ride the hill . That might be the easiest gear you have, push yourself and go as far as you can . You'll go a little farther each time and then one day you'll say , holy shit I just rode the hill I usually never can ride. As you improve you'll also see your gear selection change as well.
When you start to get some confidence in your riding , you'll want to switch over to shoes and clips . You're ability to ride hills will increase ten fold.

just keep riding.... we've all been there.

I got back into riding last year and would def consider myself a beginner. I walk EVERY climb. What can I say, they hurt my legs :)

My first beginner races I wouldnt even attempt a big hill during a race. I would hop off and run up past those strugglin up it

been riding nearly 3 months, my climbing improved about 500% since day one, best for me is to get as much speed as possible before you hit the climb and then pedal in lowest gear for the rest of it, sometimes i have to get off and walk it but there is no shame in doing that, i'm 230lbs and proud to be at least walking it instead of sitting on a couch and watching tv.

gloucester county college..

they have a race this weekend there, i wanted to enter the beginners class, but if i can't make the climbs is that complete douchbagery?

Do the race and find out for yourself. It is great that you even considering the race. Just do it. All of your questions will be answered and you will likely fit right in among the beginners. You will learn more in one race than you will from us Douche-bags on the interweb all year.

BTW, Douche has an E at the end of it. :eek:

I used to walk to the climbs and try to clean them from there. If I only made it halfway up I would descend down and try again... there is nothing for satisfying than conquering that tough climb so git 'er done!

thanks guys... i don't know, i felt like i would be cheating by walking the climbs, lol.

edit-- thanks ben, i spell worse than i climb hills

Hey, it worked for Jimmy :D

Hey, I was practicing the technique today at Ringwood so I will be running up all the hills in my next race zipping past the granny ring climbers :getsome:

In seriousness, if you can make it to the top of the hill, go for it even if you feel like death at the top. When you get to the top you can soft pedal and recover. I have times when it feels like my heart is gonna jump out of my mouth, but once I get to the top, I can wind down. If you keep riding often, the hills you are doing currently will seem like a breeze and you will be able to tackle tougher ones. I think you will start seeing a big improvement maybe in your 5th to 10th rides. Improvements go very quickly esp when you are starting out.

thanks guys... i don't know, i felt like i would be cheating by walking the climbs, lol.

That is something you will learn about racing pretty quick. You don't get extra credit for riding the entire course. Use whatever method is fastest. The winner is determined by who crosses the line first.

I've done the race at GCC but it has been a while. I recall some short but steep climbs. Some of them had loose rock and gravel. No shame in jumping off and running to the top.

keep pushing. I dropped 15lbs. from 210 since I started riding 2 months ago and hills are much easier. I also run steps on off days to help.

Does anyone have a hard time on that rooted incline in mercer park just outside of the marina??? I still walk it but almost always ride the whole hill.

This thread brings back memories of my very first trail ride back in 2008 in Round Valley. I walked EVERYSINGLE climb. My legs were weak, I was not pacing myself, I was changing gears all the time and was frustrated. To shoot my ego even more, I had two guys on their Cannondales ride past me with no problem.

Practice makes perfection and to do a proper practice, it takes commitment. Building up your leg muscles to hammer your way up is the starting point. Breathing properly helps you not freak out. Mental preparation of the hill, selecting the gear you want to be in and being committed to it is the other ingredient. I can only tell you how I accomplished it, just like everyone else. Rest is up to you.

PS: Get a pair of lights (head/Tail-light) and ride the roads when you are free......... even if it is 10pm outside. :)

Back
Top Bottom