Homebrewers

caudio51

Hey guys, any pointers for someone just getting into homebrewing? I picked up John Palmer's book "How to Brew" and have been reading through that. I'm going get a brewing set up soon, probably from Brewers Apprentice. Any pointers from experience that wouldn't be totally obvious to a newbie?

Great start with Palmer's book, a ton of good info and very easy to read.

I would recommend getting a kit from morebeer as opposed to Brewers App. You'll get better stuff for your money.

Something like this is a great start as you will be able to do full boils which will really improve your beer.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15912/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_#4_-_Bottling_Super_Deluxe

It really comes down to how serious you are going to get into it and how much money you want to spend.

Glenlivet12

Great start with Palmer's book, a ton of good info and very easy to read.

I would recommend getting a kit from morebeer as opposed to Brewers App. You'll get better stuff for your money.

Something like this is a great start as you will be able to do full boils which will really improve your beer.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15912/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_#4_-_Bottling_Super_Deluxe

It really comes down to how serious you are going to get into it and how much money you want to spend.

Hey thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, as with most things money is a key factor. I don't know how serious I am going to get into it right now, or how much my wife will tolerate me leaving fermenting beer in the spare closet. I'm probably going to lean towards a cheaper set up and upgrade as I get more into it and more confident.

I'm really enjoying Palmer's book though. Its a great read for anyone who likes bear. I'm a science nerd and the fact that he goes into such depth about the different molecules and reactions that give beer certain flavors really made me happy I payed attention in organic chemistry! I also like his "how to" section in the back for making your own chillers and what not.

evan c

So...you guys want to brew? I have the equipment to brew 15 gallon batches. It takes about 4 1/2 hours to make a batch, and about 6 1/2 to make two batches. If a few people would want to get together we could turn out some wort, and let everyone take a 5 gallon carboy home to ferment and bottle. I have the normal time restraints... family....work...you know.....but would be happy to include interested parties in my next brew session....let me know, Evan

Glenlivet12

There is a great podcast on the brewing network website called Brew Strong. John Palmer is one of the hosts and they have lots of great guests. Very informative!

crash_in_nj

Bump.

I just picked up kit #4 from morebeer and some ingredients from the Brewer's Apprentice. The kit came with twenty-four 22oz. bottles. It seems like that would be 6 short of enough for a 5 gallon batch. How much volume should I expect to lose before bottling? I don't mind losing a little bit, but a six pack is a terrible thing to waste...

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That looks like a nice set up you have there to get started.
Someone here might be able to tell you better how much volume you'll lose
(I tend to bottle in a mix of 12oz and 22oz bottles, so I'm not sure the exact yield), but if I had to guess, 6 more 22oz'ers should cover you.
I don't think there is too much loss,
especially if you are stingy when siphoning it...

What are you brewing?
I'm getting ready to do a pale ale dry hopped with some fresh cascade hops from the garden.

Glenlivet12

The two cases they give you will be enough. I forget how much I lost but I think I had a bottle or two left over. I wouldn't worry about it. If you are worried save some bottles you drink while your waiting for it ferment. I didn't have any problems with the amount of bottles they gave me. I started using the 12oz bottles though because you could pour the whole bottle into a glass and it didn't disturb the yeast at the bottom as much.

The El Jefe is pretty good. I made that a while ago. I'm a fan of their Dead President Ale. I need to pick up some more ingredients this winter... Enjoy!

Oh yeah, if you haven't picked up John Palmers "How to Brew" definitely get it. I'm pretty sure they sell it at the Brewers Apprentice. The instructions that come w/ the brew kit aren't all that great.

Last edited:

crash_in_nj

I read his book online. I probably should get a hard copy. Maybe when I get the extra bottles.

I'm hoping to break out of using recipes. Make something of my own. I probably won't grow my own ingredients, though...

Shaggz

A strong 7
You will lose a bit if volume during the racking process due to sedimentation. I think someone suggested a keeping a couple of 12 oz bottles on hand.

Northern brewer is a great on line source for supplies. Never read the Palmer book(s). My papazians are dog eared and falling apart at the seams. His techniques may be dated but you have to pay homage to the pioneer.

bozizle

There is a lot of good info in forums www.ratebeer.com also the AHA American Hombrewers Association and in general brewing books. I have found the two biggest keys to my recent brewing success is oxygenating the wort properly and maintaining a perfect temp when I batch the yeast for at least 24 hrs. I have been kegging the past few batches and can't tell you how much better the beer comes out without bottles and all the extra work involved.

I also agree with Shaggz Northern Brewer is a great resource and supplier for anyone getting into homebrewing.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Keg = Bliss

If you bottle, I suggest a bench capper as opposed to a wing capper. While more expensive, I have yest to snap a neck during the capping process with a bench model. Wing cappers, not so much :rolleyes:

wing capper:

4014_135x156.jpg

Bench Capper:
bench-bottle-capper_1.jpg

Glenlivet12

Talking with Wobbegong we decided this thread needs more posts!

Monday i brewed a nice pumpkin ale thats been fermenting vigorously all week.

I used Hallertau hops for bittering and cascade as the finishing hops. I'll dry hop with Hallertau. Also added in 1lb of light brown sugar with the extracts and in the boil was some nutmeg, allspice and 3 cinnamon sticks. Those were all added with the finishing hops at about 15 minutes. At flame out I added about a 1/4 c molasses.

I recently was given about 5 cups of puréed homegrown pumpkin from a friend so I put it in a baking pan with a bit of molasses and baked it for a little over an hour to caramelize it a bit. After the boil I lowered the temp to around 170 and steeped the pumpkin for about a half hour.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1314365362.177120.jpg

I also decided to build an immersion wort chiller this time around because filling my tub with cold water was way to much work and took much to long. I picked up 20ft of 3/8 copper tubing, some plastic tubing, a hose adapter and some tube benders. It's not the prettiest chiller but man it worked beautifully.
photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

Hopefully before this batch is ready to drink i'll have a kegerator set up, i'm tired of bottling. I was just given a nice mini fridge that will comfortably fit a keg and CO2 tank. Once I get the rest of the pieces i'll post up the build.

Last edited:

bozizle

All Grain

I have gone all grain for the last few batches and it has been real nice compared to the extract /partial mash. Takes more time but have had great results

I also have some great recipes if anyone is interested that placed high in a recent homebrew competition in PA...was thinking about having a recipe sharing thread on here...any thoughts?

- House Ale on tap
- Coconut Porter Bottled
- Octoberfest (aged on oak and bourban) Bottled
- IIPA Bottled
- Roubust Porter Bottles
- Cascade aged on Oak Ale Bottles
- Black IPA Bottled

Wobbegong

I have gone all grain for the last few batches and it has been real nice compared to the extract /partial mash. Takes more time but have had great results

I also have some great recipes if anyone is interested that placed high in a recent homebrew competition in PA...was thinking about having a recipe sharing thread on here...any thoughts?

- House Ale on tap
- Coconut Porter Bottled
- Octoberfest (aged on oak and bourban) Bottled
- IIPA Bottled
- Roubust Porter Bottles
- Cascade aged on Oak Ale Bottles
- Black IPA Bottled

What did you use to blacken the IPA? Carafa III?

Wobbegong

Aside from the obvious image I have what is a black IPA?

From Wiki:

Cascadian Dark Ale
The Cascadian Black Ale is a relatively new variant of IPA, with a characteristically dark or black appearance, due to roasted malts, while retaining the hop aroma typical of the IPA style. Examples of this style include Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, 21st Amendment Brewery's Back in Black and Laughing Dog Brewery's Dogzilla. The style was invented by Greg Noonan in Vermont in the early 1990s, and by the mid-2000s there were several commercial versions made in that state.

Top Bottom