Homebrewers

jklett

Did you put them in loose, or in a holder?
Bagged it but it swelled and blocked the dip tube. The worst part was when it ripped as I was pulling it out. I transferred it to another keg with a floating tube but I probably oxygenated the hell out of it in the process. It'll just have to be drank before it turns.

jklett

I brewed yesterday and have a Russian Imperial Stout in the primary fermenter blowing a krauzen that is gagging the airlock.
I wonder if we have to rename the style now, as we did with frankfurters to hot dogs, and french fries to freedom fries?
Really impressive stout(so you can still call it a RIS)? Or maybe just Slavic stout?

jklett

Doppelbock still needs another week or two minimum to clear up and develop a little more but I was right about the booziness dropping off. Just the right balance of sweet and malty with a refreshing feel. Color could be a smidge darker but I'm not at all unhappy with it. This recipe's a keeper for sure.20220314_174952.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay, I think this one is for @jklett

I’ve got a ManCan, a metal 128oz keg/growler that has like 4 year old beer in it.
It’s been fridged the entire time (save power outages), and kept under pressure.

I’m curious to try it, I forget what it is, but probably Kane Head High.

Anyway, what do I have to do to clean it out in the event I want to use it again safely?

jklett

Okay, I think this one is for @jklett

I’ve got a ManCan, a metal 128oz keg/growler that has like 4 year old beer in it.
It’s been fridged the entire time (save power outages), and kept under pressure.

I’m curious to try it, I forget what it is, but probably Kane Head High.

Anyway, what do I have to do to clean it out in the event I want to use it again safely?
I'd probably try it too.

As to reusing it, I'd run a few rounds of PBW and replace any rubber. The stainless should be fine. Hell, you should've seen/smelled what was in some of my used kegs when I got them and they came out fine. Bad enough to make a maggot gag, my wife was not pleased that I opened them in the house.

jklett

Tried some cosmic punch yeast. Used 2 row, Maris Otter, and a bit of oats for some fullness, mash hopped with Spalter select, WP with Amarillo, Azacca, El Dorado, and Bru-1, and dry hopped with Azacca, El Dorado, and Bru-1. Pineapple really hits on this one. I'm not sure I'm getting the Sauvignon Blanc they said I'd get but it is pretty tasty none the less.20220604_185643.jpg

jklett

Not sure if it can be called brewing but I made some hop water as an experiment since I was told I need to cut back on the alcohol intake. I used Amarillo, Azacca, Bru-1, and El-Dorado for the hops. Best I can say is that it's a hoppy seltzer. Almost sweet and very refreshing but still hits the hop craving, at least for me. And I don't have to feel guilty about drinking it in quantity even in the morning because there's no alcohol. I'll still brew and drink real beer but there will always be at least 1 keg of this in rotation. I'll try different hop combos and quantities but this is a promising first shot.20221007_144328.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It looks like bong water, but I'd imagine it tastes better :p

Sampled today. Very refreshing, and while I wouldn't want to spill it, can guarantee it wouldn't be a disaster

zmartene

Just found this thread. Great stuff, I love when others also share my two major hobbies.

Currently in storage while we try to sell our place ("live ready to show," they said) but I brew 2.5gal batches in my Picobrew Z. The cooler in the photo is full of ice, pumped through the plate chiller. (The Instant Pot just lives there, it's not brewing-related). I usually keep two 2.5 gal beers on tap, and the other 2 taps are 1 gal seltzer water or hop water or sometimes hard seltzer when they're occupied.

Currently have a German Pilsner and an American Pale Ale on tap, and hard seltzer fermenting. Pic is the pils. Not satisfied with the clarity but that head tho. Brewing activities on hold until we get settled in a new place.

Attachments

• IMG_20200308_170152.jpg
    IMG_20200308_170152.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210228_021451808.jpg
    PXL_20210228_021451808.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 6

jklett

Took a gravity sample of a pretty simple IPA with 2 row, Maris Otter, and a little oats with Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy in whirlpool and one dry hop of the same(but higher quantity). I'm going to give it another day before cold crashing so it'll have a solid 3 days on the hops but this one's already a winner. It'll be ready by the Chimney Rock ride but better the following week. I could always use help sampling it.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Took a gravity sample of a pretty simple IPA with 2 row, Maris Otter, and a little oats with Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy in whirlpool and one dry hop of the same(but higher quantity). I'm going to give it another day before cold crashing so it'll have a solid 3 days on the hops but this one's already a winner. It'll be ready by the Chimney Rock ride but better the following week. I could always use help sampling it.
Invited or uninvited... I'm following you after the ride.

jklett

After 24 hours at 30# it's pretty much there, don't want to overcarb this one. I know it'll be another week before it hits its prime but I'm happy with it right now. The Galaxy is steering it but not totally overpowering the Citra and Mosaic. Next time I'll drop its ratio so it blends a little more but again, tasty AF.20221020_171653.jpg

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After 24 hours at 30# it's pretty much there, don't want to overcarb this one. I know it'll be another week before it hits its prime but I'm happy with it right now. The Galaxy is steering it but not totally overpowering the Citra and Mosaic. Next time I'll drop its ratio so it blends a little more but again, tasty AF.View attachment 198648
I can taste this picture

jmanic

Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you follow us back after the chimney rock ride you can taste it IRL.
Sadly stupid non-bike stuff will keep me from taking you up on that.
I’ll catch the next batch.

Top Bottom