Homebrewers

jklett

Brewed yesterday morning, I screwed up somewhere. OG was supposed to be 1.086 and I came in at 1.052. I had a lot of oats and wheat in the grain bill and it was as if I didn't have them at all. At least the wort tasted fantastic so all isn't lost. Just that what was originally to be an 8.3 ABV beer is going to be more like 5.5. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. High hopes and low expectations(not really though, I'll still have beer regardless so it's a win however you look at it).

On another note, I was about halfway through my SMaSH beers and I figured I'd combine them since it tasted better that way anyways. OMFG, I am super happy that I did! I stirred up some junk at the bottom in the process of transferring and it's absolutely amazing! And I have another empty keg to fill...20210424_182031.jpg

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Brewed yesterday morning, I screwed up somewhere. OG was supposed to be 1.086 and I came in at 1.052. I had a lot of oats and wheat in the grain bill and it was as if I didn't have them at all. At least the wort tasted fantastic so all isn't lost. Just that what was originally to be an 8.3 ABV beer is going to be more like 5.5. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks. High hopes and low expectations(not really though, I'll still have beer regardless so it's a win however you look at it).

On another note, I was about halfway through my SMaSH beers and I figured I'd combine them since it tasted better that way anyways. OMFG, I am super happy that I did! I stirred up some junk at the bottom in the process of transferring and it's absolutely amazing! And I have another empty keg to fill...View attachment 156316
Stop teasing!
When is distro happening?!?

jklett

I have one more IPA in the pipeline(should be a juicy one with Citra and Azzaca) then I'm focusing on my German roots for a while. I have a helles lager finishing up that's come out tasting almost identical to Spaten's, a Kölsch style spunding as I type, then I'll be doing a Märzen or festbier even though it's July. After that it'll be a dunkel and possibly a bock but we'll see since that's a few brews out. I'm also playing with pressure fermentation and trying for as close to Reinheitsgebot as I can with just using CO2 to push the beer when it's done. I want to perfect my methods before going back to IPAs since it's so expensive for the amount of hops if it doesn't come out good. I figure that if I can get good flavors out of such delicate styles with good technique then my other brews will come out much better because of it.

And since pictures make every post moar gooder(the condensation is hiding the clarity),20210629_185451.jpg

jklett

Best IPA I've made so far. Not quite carbed enough yet, a little foam will make this pop for sure. This is the Citra and Azzaca one from my last post, tropical as all get out but could probably use a touch more bitterness to offset it a little. Came in a hair under 7%.20210720_173449.jpg

jklett

Been a bit but a doppelbock is in the fermenter. Missed the OG by only a few points, supposed to be 1.083 and I hit 1.081. Color and aroma are fantastic, can't wait to see how it turns out.

jklett

Doppelbock is kegged, just need to leave it alone for a few weeks. Taste is a little boozy but otherwise spot on with what I intended. It should mellow with time.

In other news, I ran another IPA since the brew shop had some Hornindal on clearance. I finished up the Belma and used Citra and Mosaic. It's not bad considering the problems I had after kegging it. Let's just say that I won't be doing a massive dry hop in the keg again.

Finishing up a festbier brew day as I type, I still have a Hefeweizen and a Märzen in the pipeline for the next few weeks.

I also hit a fash sale at Yakima hops and got 2# each of Citra, Bru 1, and Azzaca. Also got a sack of Maris Otter and a sack of 2 row from the local. Much beer will be brewed.

Fire Lord Jim

I brewed yesterday and have a Russian Imperial Stout in the primary fermenter blowing a krauzen that is gagging the airlock.
I wonder if we have to rename the style now, as we did with frankfurters to hot dogs, and french fries to freedom fries?

Top Bottom