High Mountain Conditions

crkiernan

Well, I guess it's not a big deal then. For anyone out there that doesn't want to get a flat tire keep an eye out for hidden nails and bring an extra tube. Good luck!

Zaskar

This should prob be reported to local police. It's sabotage and it's risking safety of all the trial users.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hopefully it's just a leftover from the bunch found earlier in June.

No, I saw pics on Strava and it's new and much worse. A board with nails in it and some well placed broken glass bottles.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Well, I guess it's not a big deal then. For anyone out there that doesn't want to get a flat tire keep an eye out for hidden nails and bring an extra tube. Good luck!
That's not what I meant. It is a big deal.
It would totally suck to fall on them.

Maybe I am wrong but most of these trails are "rogue"? Will we be shooting ourselves in the foot if this is reported? I would hate to lose any trails.

crkiernan

Ahhh, my apologies...the classic text miscommunication! It seems we all have the infamous catch 22 on our hands here. My advice: Have fun. Beware. And always have a beer(s) to reward yourself :)

RickVaughn

welp. planned on riding here after work today. maybe i'll just play video games...

Rode here 3 times the within the past couple weeks and haven't encountered any problems. Guess i just got lucky though a buddy got a flat but he's tubed. Usually ride the red trail down and back and have only seen one group of bikers in 3 outings. Mostly hikers

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
welp. planned on riding here after work today. maybe i'll just play video games...

Rode here 3 times the within the past couple weeks and haven't encountered any problems. Guess i just got lucky though a buddy got a flat but he's tubed. Usually ride the red trail down and back and have only seen one group of bikers in 3 outings. Mostly hikers
The colored trails should be fine.

Mr.Moto

No, I saw pics on Strava and it's new and much worse. A board with nails in it and some well placed broken glass bottles.

That's very unfortunate. There is a lot of good riding packed in a small area here. This kind of stuff is just bad and it could hurt animals and anybody using these trails.

1TrackMind

I was out yesterday and saw those same roofing nails... I think I was in dark forest. I heard it was possibly a hunter in rhe area trying to discourage our use of the trails next to his stand.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I was out yesterday and saw those same roofing nails... I think I was in dark forest. I heard it was possibly a hunter in rhe area trying to discourage our use of the trails next to his stand.
Hunter? I don't think hunting is allowed at HM.

LP70

I was going up the switchbacks today "skytop east downhill" found broken glass on every turn. Did my best to remove it all but be careful.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/in...lar_north_jersey_trail.html#incart_river_home

Dangerous booby-traps found along a popular North Jersey trail

20858390-mmmain.jpg

A board with screws found in High Mountain Park. Police say booby-traps have been found along a trail used for bikers and hikers. (Wayne PD) ( )
Print Email
By Anthony G. Attrino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Follow on Twitter
on August 04, 2016 at 12:29 PM, updated August 04, 2016 at 12:30 PM

WAYNE – Booby-traps made from buried boards and nails, strung barbed wire and hidden broken bottles have been placed for the past month on a park trail popular with hikers and bicyclists, police said Thursday.

The traps were found by a Wayne resident in High Mountain Park, Wayne police Capt. Laurence W. Martin said in a statement.

Barbed wire found in the park. (Wayne PD)
"The resident states that since June 23 he has found wooden boards hidden beneath the surface of the trail with screws/nails protruding, broken bottles placed along the trails behind or next to rocks or logs, and rope and barbed wire strung across pathways," Martin said.

High Mountain Park is located in Wayne, North Haledon and Franklin Lakes.

The park is not far from William Paterson University.

"Some of these were placed just under the ... surface to injure persons on foot or disable bicycle tires," Martin said.

Broken bottle placed along a trail used by hikers and bikers. (Wayne PD)
"The barbed wire and rope that was strung across the path ways raises the threat to serious injury or death," he said.

Wayne police detectives are investigating.

"We are asking the public's assistance to be mindful of these styles of booby-trap hazards," Martin said.

Martin asked anyone with information to call police.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Wonder who this "resident" is.... got a feeling I know and thank you for reporting it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions