Heckle-cation the other months of the year.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
2017 Orchard Hill Assault - Amherst, MA

An on campus bike race at UMass Amherst? The very school I received my degree from in 2012? On the same trails I started riding on? AND THE FIRST TIME THEY ARE HOLDING IT SINCE 2011, YOU KNOW, THE FIRST TIME AND PLACE I EVER RACED XC AS A CAT 3?!?!?!?!? Sign me up.

It's no secret I like to drive very far to race my bike. I loaded up with @rsinger814 and Keb and ripped up to Northampton Friday night. Zach drove out and we all met and crashed at Chris and Ty's place. One stop for chipwiches at a food store in CT, 4 for $2.49 (gotta remember that deal) and one more stop for beer in Noho and we were there by 10:30.

The race was being put on by the UMass bike racing team. Early course reports from Ty were that the course was "soooo goooodddd!!!! *surfer laugh*"

Zach was coming out of MTB retirement to race Cat 2 with Tyler who left before I got up to preride and had a little accident just before I arrived at 10:20 to catch the start of the Cat 2 race. He would not be racing.

We grabbed ham and cheese croissants from Tart Baking Co on the way over, my favorite.

I ran around for an hour and took some pix of my friends racing. I picked up a used Sony 70-200 f2.8 for the alpha 77 and finally broke it out for a race. It's prettttyyy legit, still need some practice with it but stoked.

ZACH!
IMG_7238.JPG

Ty, also running around cheering and taking pixxx despite TWO BROKEN RIBS AND A PARTIALLY COLLAPSED LUNG.
IMG_7236.JPG

Kool Keith is a LDBCX alum now racing for Zank/Mad Alchemy. Keith has the best pain faces in the game.
IMG_7235.JPG

Tim has been ripping my legs of in CX for a few years now, this was homies first XC race so he was stuck as a Cat 2. Breaking the pain face with a smile as he climbs for the win.
IMG_7239.JPG

Chris "Boogie Beats" Bassett rides harder and has more fun than anyone on earth.
IMG_7240.JPG

The course really was "sooooo goooooddd!!!! *surfer laugh*" Uphill 100 yard gravel hole shot right into the downhill I took to class everyday. Some tight switchbacks and a couple kickers and logs. Climb back up on an off camber with a couple hard to track mud sections marked comically with "caution, wet floor" signs. Quick rip at the top with a A/B line option featuring a double mini double then back downhill.

Pop out and 1/2 climb back on the grass, slight grass down, then finish the up. All the way back down fast open grass turns and back into the woods. A few tight turns then a steep single track climb almost back to the top. Rip a s/t down with a few berms and kickers, then back on the grass to climb back to the start finish.

Now just do 5 of those chasing Nick Lando with the Garmin reading 96. Sick!

I have a shitty start and go into the woods in 6th right behind Matt E. The front 4 open a small gap by the bottom of the DH and I make a pass around Matt up the slippery floor climb. I make one more pass at the top of the hill and am behind New England SS phenom Aiden. 1 and 2 have made some time and I yoyo with Aiden for 2.5 laps. I reel on the climbs and he dumps me on the DH like the patheic roadie I am. Finally his gear catches up to him and I come around up the grass on lap 3 and open a solid gap by the top.

Elite Endurance/UVM rider Sammy is ahead of me in second. We do a similar yoyo without ever being too close. He totally drops me out of sight on the DH and I bring him back to 15 seconds on the grass climbs. Nick Lando pulls a Nick Lando and is totally gone. Last DH run Sammy totally drops me down and I think it's over until I'm at the bottom of the final grass climb and see him sitting up nearing the finish. I stand and sprint the whole hill and close the gap to maybe 100' before my friends blow up my spot and start screaming at me. Sammy looks back and is forced to make a quick effort to keep me away. I probably would never have caught him, but damn was his scramble worth the final attack. I think my max HR was that last attack. I probably should have been doing that all race.

3rd!!! sickkkk!

I spin down with Nick and Sammy and shoot the shit for a few, then go back and chill with the crew in the lot. So much stoke but my g/d brains were melting out of my ears. It. was. HOT.

Podium at the same event, 2 classes up 6 years later. cool beans!
IMG_7232.JPG

Hit the hanger for wings and beer after then hangs the rest of the night.

Short race but with the temp I'm thankful. 1:10, 11.6 miles, 1634'
https://www.strava.com/activities/963245978

Our Sunday Earl's ripper got cut short by some rain, but that was fun AF while it lasted! Ripped so hardddddddddddd!
https://www.strava.com/activities/964837707

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
wananananananananana nostaglia feels race must be totally feely

seeing zach makes me miss you two even more :(

The Heckler

On Tire Size
I've ridden 25, 28 and 32 mm tires on multi-surfaces in the last week. It's been pretty cool to compare ride quality to tire width.

25mm - Bontrager R2
When pavement ends I'm historically more than okay ripping on 25mm tires. History was spent on the Raleigh up until this season. I'm finding 25s are too harsh on the aluminum Trek Emonda ALR on the gravel. The carbon wheels are also holding me back when dirt turns to gravel. I can't tell if it's ride quality or mental "don't do this to these wheels."

28mm - Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys
WOW. 28s tuck into the ALR fine. And hot damn do they rip the dirt and gravel hard. I shredded down a couple dirt roads in the Tewksbury area sunday and the 28s were LIT. Had me hootin like a maniac. seriously. They are a little slower on pavement but not horribly so, and still climb fine.

32mm - Panracer Gravelking
I got the Wraith built back up with the Raleigh's Force 22 group and am ready for some adventure rides. I opted for Panracer Gravelking 700x32 which I struggled to mount on my freshly built I9xIron Cross wheels. The tires live up to their name and gobbled up the gravel tour road in the swamp last night. Talk about riding in comfort and control! Side note, although a recovery ride I'm very happy with those wheels. Person build #7&8 they turned out pretty nice. You can really notice the quick engagement. The 32 is definitely a bit sluggish on the road but it's super cush in the gravel.

The Heckler

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE
upload_2017-5-23_14-48-8.png

The week has come. After months of barely riding my mountain bike I'm about to rip west with @rsinger814 for the 3-day edition of The Transylvania Epic.

The great news is I'm riding some pretty damn great fitness right now.

The horrible news is I still don't have tires mounted that are proven.

At the recommendation of @pearl I'm going with Racing Ralphs, and in light of recent tire woes I'm going 2.35 F/R because YOLO. Nothing says stage race like trying new things blind.

Currently going through everything I own making sure I have spares of everything. Luckily I already went though this exercise last year and have a totally dialed list!

Stay tuned for race coverage/recaps.

upload_2017-5-23_14-59-37.png

upload_2017-5-23_14-59-18.png

upload_2017-5-23_15-0-19.png

upload_2017-5-23_14-59-59.png

upload_2017-5-23_15-0-42.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-23_14-58-22.png
    upload_2017-5-23_14-58-22.png
    774.1 KB · Views: 172
  • upload_2017-5-23_14-58-44.png
    upload_2017-5-23_14-58-44.png
    242.3 KB · Views: 165

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
ughhhhhhhhhh so sick.

if you got the expensive RR's , like $100 each or whatever, and you destroy these, you are doomed

looking forward to you riding John Wert, if you want to read my recap on that... i lost a couple years of my life/brain cells on that trail. it's not even overly hard, just like being waterboarded

The Heckler

Trans-Sylvania Epic - 3 Day Open - 2017
Coverage of this wont be as thorough as Pisgah last year. I wish I had time to really document the races better but we will all have to settle for a scant write up without pictures.

I headed out Friday with @rsinger814, we were staying at his family's home about 20 minutes away from the venue.

STOKE WAS HIGH, surfer laugh was turned up to 11.

Saturday - Stage 1
Some heavy rain made the DNR force promoters to run a rain route. Some single track was snipped and an extra gravel climb was added. Saturday was the long day and I was expecting for the 39 mile course to take something like 4-5 hours.

WRONG.

38.5 miles, 4728', 3:15:07, good enough for 4th place in my category.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1008513913/segments/24736350777

The start was a neutral roll out across the main road. We re grouped and went out together from there. I was about 1/3 of the way back from the front. The fighting for staging was hard all 3 days and I never got close to being up where I would have liked to be.

CLIMBCLIMBCLIMB gravelgravelgravel - all day. I was really surprised with how little ST we rode. There was a fair share of gravel climbing at pisgah but it seemed almost every hill we went up there was a gravel descent on the back side.

As small groups formed I started taking stock of number plates around me. Everyone I was racing or passing were 5 day riders or not in may cat 3 dayers. I started up the "3 day express" and started pulling people around. This was a theme the whole weekend. I probably spent 80+% of my time riding with other people pulling. It was really fun and made me a few friends. Totally got some fitness points for that one.

Early on we hit enduro 1 of the day. A narrow, mostly straight ST downhill, not too steep but fast. I had my best placing there, right off the bat while I was still getting used to riding my MTB. 3rd.

Enduro 2 I got stuck behind a rider. This was a long one that started like #1 but then opened to REALLY fast DT 2/3 of the way down. One rider passed our group of 2 and I chased and really lit it up on the bottom part. V FUN.

We finally turned left onto Tussy Ridge for the well hyped trail. We climb for a while and start riding some rocks. I'm feeling great and riding well. The guy ahead of me and myself drop the group of 4 behind us. I clear the first two rock gardens and only throw a quick dab on #3. The important one where Thom Parsons was I cleared, AND I MADE THE STAGE 3(1) EDIT! (above) sick!

As the trail leveled out up top my right thigh cramped up. I slow to a crawl and ride through it. 5 minutes later the left goes. Same deal. Gerry passes me. I was in 3rd up to this point and didn't even know it. He crashed and broke a chain.

By the time I reach he beer tent I'm feeling so beat up I don't even register the situation and keep going. I holler for the crowd, get a cheer, throw a monster bunny hop over a big log in the trail and almost loop out right but saved it, and get another cheer.

Don't remember anything about Enduro 3.

I make it to the a hairpin right turn and ask how far up the next aid station is and am told 'just on the other side of the lake.' THE LAKE, THEY SAID MACHINE CUT TRAILS BY THE LAKE! BRAAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!! The trails were brand new and had some nice pumpable features but still had slight rolling elevation.

I roll in yelling 310, swap bottles and grab a banana. I look at the lady holding my bag and tell her "this is going to be really embarrassing," as I take a comically massive bite and throw the peel back in the bag.

There are a couple stream crossings with stepping stones across. The first one looks wayyy too deep to ride. The second one looked shallow enough so I rode it. It was maybe 20' wide and got about BB deep on the far half.

*brain shuts off and I fight cramps*

I realize soon I'm climbing up DT I already went down, I MUST BE CLOSE TO THE FINISH! TURN IT UP!

Then I find a right turn up hill next to deer fencing.

SHIT.

I spent a little much on the last climb.

*brain shuts off and I fight cramps*

I roll through the finish. Done for the day.

Saturday was hard. It was a pretty long FAST race and the cramps really slowed me down. I felt maybe I was still recovering from my Greylock effort the weekend before, or maybe just didn't ace my taper.

The good news is the rocks that had been giving me anxiety were almost non existent. The ones I found were challenging but fun, not aggravating or dangerous.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Awesome. I really want to make it to this race. The 3 day may be an option next year if I start planting the seed now. :)

I've one done 1 race out here (trail mix) and it was sick. Tussey Ridge is really worth the hype.

Looking forward to the rest of your recap.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
how deep of a bite was on the banana doe

i think every year you ride out here your rating for tech ability goes up, just like riding CR week after week, eventually it feels like it is paved.

Mountain Bike Mike

All the social media buzz on this event has me wanting to try the 3 day next year.

Congrats on the succesful race. why no details about Ryan?

The Heckler

Caring is Creepy - A pilgrimage by bicycle to see the Shins in Cooperstown NY

I haven't been too active on here and totally dropped the ball finishing my TSE recap. It's hard for me to get back into something if I even let a couple days pass. I'm always recovering or onto the next thing. SO, I best get this scribbled down ASAP.

YES, you read the title, you probably get the gist of things. @rsinger814, Zach and myself pedaled from Califon NJ to Cooperstown to see the Shins last weekend. I planned a two day route covering ~217 miles in that time. Original plans called for camping but for the sake of speedspeedspeed we opted to #creditcardtour on the road bikes backing very light. They offer field camping at the Ommegang Brewery so we would camp there Saturday night.

The shuffle.
I sure love a well executed plan. This one was a lot of fun to make work.

1. I asked Maureen if she would be okay driving my car with all the camping gear up Saturday. I scooped her tickets and she said "okay!"

2. Ryan would drop his Saturday night gear at my place in Warren Thursday night. We would throw one of his racks on my car to expand the capacity to 3 bikes.

3. Zach would drive down from Boston Thursday night and crash at my place. He would load his Saturday gear into my car too.

4. We drive to Ryan's in Califon to leave. Leaving from there would save us about 1200' of elevation and maybe another 10-15 miles.

5. Day 1 - 140 miles.

6. Sleep at 4 Corners Inn in Mt. Tremper NY.

7. Day 2 - 77 miles.

8. Meet Maureen and Ryan's wife Keb in Cooperstown.

9. Head to Brewery.

10. See Shins - Party - Be merry

11. Commute home for Fathers Day activities.

Fin

One thing happened I didn't plan for, Ryan has square cross bar and I have aero. Luckily I knew Zach had Aero cross bars so we swapped his rack on when he got to my plae at 12:30 AM. Then we woke up at 5:15am to get rippin.

Forecasts leading up to the rides were looking pretty bad, right up to bed time both days.

Saturday morning we woke up and the rain was pushed back a couple hours. I dressed in my LDBCX kit, knee warmers, arm warmers, gloves, cap and glasses. I packed my rain cape, an extra bib, jersey, swim trunks, tshirt, 2 tubes, 2 co2, cracker, patch kit, lever, tooth brush/paste, cash, ID and my #creditcard. Light compared to my NYC Montreal haul.

View attachment 53552

Second breakfast at this rad little spot in Greenwood Lake NY called The Grill.
Hey kids, No Hope in Dope.
View attachment 53553
So stoked to finally ride storm king. Totally worth the 3 mile divided highway climb to get over there. We approached the on ramp and Zach and Ryan gave me the best "Wait what?!"

View attachment 53554

I hella Believe!!
View attachment 53556

We made it all the way to about mile 90 before it started raining, at which point we all got very wet and our giddy conversation and fart jokes slowed to a silence as we just slogged out miles to our New Paltz checkpoint.

"I think it's at about 105."

"WE AT 108, WHERE NEW PALTZ AT?!?!"

109. My b.

We crushed some falafel, fries and Soda at the Moon Light Cafe. Food was great and we were in no rush to hit the rain. We get some tea to put off our final wet 2 hours and just like that, the rain stopped. It's still wet and gloomy but spirits have already turned back to the dumb bro-deo vibes. We stop at the shop leaving town and Zach and Ryan both #creditcardtour themselves some knee warmers.
View attachment 53557

The next couple hours were pretty cake. Some spray but once we got moving the temps were perfect and then we hit the Ashokan Reservoir.

Dudes. This view was sweeeet. Super moody overcast fog on the lake with just enough wind to cause a perfect rippling surface. wow.
IMG_7418.JPG

I was getting a little tired towards the end but know where near how cracked I've been on rides past. I could have done another couple hours if I needed to without having totally fallen apart.

The Inn was cool, pretty old and the owners were very nice. And then we laid out 3 kits and totally destroyed the place. The smell was putrid. So bad. Don't stay in room 11, it may never be the same.

Dinner was 1/4 mile down the road at a place called The Pines. We changed into our "street clothes" and drank all their water and had the best burger of my life. Knee warmers for off the bike warmth because #travellight #creditcardtour.

IMG_7421.JPG
IMG_7422.JPG
IMG_7424.JPG

The morning forecast called for heavy rain. All. Day.

We considered plan B - where we don't ride, drink all day and call Moe to rescue us.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1039917576

The Heckler

Caring is CreepyA pilgrimage by bicycle to see the Shins in Cooperstown
DAY 2

WAKE UP! Something like a 7:15 alarm, head down to 8:00 complimentry breakfast at 7:55 and are greated by our kind hosts who have a nice spread out. 4 types of cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit salad, bread, english muffins, mini bagels, butter, cream cheese, 3 typed of jam, a toaster (maybe shouldn't eat that one) coffee, milk and juice.

YES PLEASE, I'LL HAVE ALL OF THAT PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

They must have been appauled by how much we ate. I personally had 2 eggs, a bowl of frosted flakes with milk, 2 coffees, a juice, 2 english muffins, 1 with butter and one with strawberry jam and butter, yogurt and fruit salad. What was I missing? I guess normal bread and mini bagels.

Yummmmmmmmmm.

The forecast once again changed to no rain and clouds all day. PACK IT AND GO. This set up was clutch, and hilarious.
IMG_7430.JPG

We get on the road and start climb #1 of 4 which was really just false flat for about 15 miles. Before the top we stop for a wee and shed some layers. WAS THE SUN COMING OUT?!?!
IMG_7464.JPG

We see a weird road side stop and opt to stop. We get cokes and water and chat with the eccentric owner for a few.
IMG_7465.JPG

I was riding with the NJ State Cat 6 #creditcardtour champ.
IMG_7447.JPG

At 2 hours and 15 we ripped through a town and saw the glorious P I Z Z A sign. Seemed like a decent time to stop as we were about 1/2 way. I had a slide of cheese and a slice of bacon/pepperoni AND a big can of Arizona iced tea. LIT.
IMG_7451.JPG

We finished climb 2 or 4 which really just turned out to be a net uphill roller. Up 50, down 25, up 50, down 25 before the final mile which wasn't actually that steep.

The Descent looks like about 15 miles of which I remember non and strava says we avg 20 mph. It ends in a gorgeous lush valley by Fergusonville (where I black back in) just before climb 3 of 4. Zach's looking at the elevation map from the course and laughs as it goes RIGHT OFF the top of the screen even with the reasonable scale he has set.

Woowee! She went straight up. About a 10 miute climb I basically had to stand for and was still only doing 55 RPM in my granny gear 36-28. Legs actually felt pretty good...

Climb 3 levels out, has one more little kick up, then dips straight back down. WE RIP downhill! I'm leading and seeing 49 on my garmin scrubbing some speed into the corners then backing off and bringing her right back up! I'm tucking for 50 and low as I can get and I see a big curve coming up.

I scrub speed.

"ohhh thats a road. and a T intersection, and I'm mid corner"

At this point I'm hard on the brakes mid corner trying to not kill myself. It was a pucker moment but not all that close.

We totally jam on how much fun that ripper was then take a second to snack.
IMG_7466.JPG

A couple miles shy of the final climb, #4 of 4. We stop for some cold bevs. The sun was out and it was getting hot.

The final climb looked bad on the garmin but was wayyyy more chill than than #3. I was feeling pretty good and put in a few minute effort for fun before toning it back and regrouping before the top. Legs were actually feeling really good.

We actually ride right by the brewery headed to town to meet the girls. We all *hang 10* surfer laugh a guy with a parking plag out on the road, HE SENDS IT RIGHT BACK WITHOUT HESITATION! We cheer and laugh hysterically.

The whole day we hitting town lines, and county lines. Not everyone with a sprint, but if you were pulling and "won" you're damn right we celebrated like it was a stage win. We were hyping the cooperstown sprint. It was going to happen. As we approached out final miles Zach pulled and ramped up the pace. I could feel the tension building and was all eyes ready to jump.

We built, and built, comically so and then all of a sudden, we were down town.

No sign, no sprint.

Just 3 dudes rolling in. It's probably better that way.

ICE CREAM!!!!
IMG_7467.JPG

Then Moe and Keb met us at a coffee shop, we grabbed sandies, and drove down to the Brewery.

We carried our gear into the camping area and cracked a few cold ones before heading in for the show. We perched up by the food trucks with blankets and chairs and ate and drank our way through Tennis and the Shins.

MOE AND THE DOUGH
IMG_7457.JPG

The after party back at camp went pretty late with the blue tooth speakers and bonus bevs.

The Shins were really amazing. I've wanted to see them since high school and was really excited to finally have the opportunity.

More importantly I had a killllleeerrrr two days on the bike with two great buds.

NEXT UP: Lewis Morris! Lets see if I'm recovered by then! Maybe I'll see some of you tonight at the Pre-ride!

Attachments

• IMG_7464.JPG
    IMG_7464.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Top Bottom