Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

Anyone have a report on conditions at Hartshorne? I'm considering doing the Allaire and Hartshorne/Huber double tomorrow but I'll find something else if Hartshorne was wrecked by the storm.

Another solid session on the water tower climb. This is about our 8th? session on this trail and have to say our work has gotten better. Come check it.

The weather has cooled of nicely, I plan on going in every other week at Hartshorne to fix areas and improve the trails. I'm always looking for help, if interested please hit me up. The only thing preventing better trails is the man power. Come out and join in.

These guys can build some trail.
@don @knobbyhead
20211001_114857.jpg

Another solid session on the water tower climb. This is about our 8th? session on this trail and have to say our work has gotten better. Come check it.

The weather has cooled of nicely, I plan on going in every other week at Hartshorne to fix areas and improve the trails. I'm always looking for help, if interested please hit me up. The only thing preventing better trails is the man power. Come out and join in.

@don @knobbyhead
View attachment 168142
I went down that for the first time since you all started working on it on Wednesday night...it was awesome!

@don @knobbyhead

So true Iggy about the weather - it felt so good to be working in the cooler temps. (I think Larry is the only maniac that likes TM's in 90+ degree temps)

Top lads working on Friday. Larry and Brian W can really move some dirt and Angel is a master shaper. After a few more fixes and fine tunes that section of GT should be really good. Like Iggy said with more people power the trails at Hart will only get better. And TM'ing with guys like Knobbyhead is great for the mental health 😉

PS - @rustynuts and Brian did the early shift and are not in the pic. Even if you only have an hour or 2 it makes a difference.

Many thanks, folks! Was noticing the improvements on the climb up today, and ran into Iggy (not literally :) ) near the top [presumably finishing up by then, since it was already after noon.] Awesome work!

Lot of solid work done yesterday. Jeff, Brian and I opened up one of the turns and built a couple of drains that will keep that section from bringing tons of sand further down the trail. (Special thanks to Brian for going ahead and removing a bunch of sand that was deposited from seasons past).

A couple of things stood out to me yesterday. First the dedication of the crew: I know a few of the guys moved their busy work schedules to come out. There were also a few more on deck that shit came up last minute and couldn't make it but they were really bummed about it and immediately asked when the next one is.

Second was how we worked together. I feel like a good crew doesn't talk much about the trail when working but kind of just meshes together as a unit. Jeff, Brian and I were close to that level yesterday. We each did our own thing but it came together very nicely. The old trail was blended in so much that you'd be hard press to see where it was thanks to the landscape work of Jeff and Brian.

After pic attached but where the old trail was is in on the let side.

Attachments

• Grand_Tour_Upper.jpg
    Grand_Tour_Upper.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 113
Really great work, trail users and the park system are very fortunate to have you guys working on improving the trails.

While thinking/hiking Huber after my post I was like - "I forgot to mention Iggy's part in putting this whole campaign together".

The energy and work you've brought has been huge and something that has been lacking in the MCPS and specifically Hartshorne. I know the MCPS is spread thin with all the work the parks demand so to have what you are doing with the TM's and volunteers is a really great thing for all.

I know the style of trail might not be for everyone but it's only a small portion of the park and it gives it a bunch more flavor during a ride (and even a hike :wink ).

More good stuff going on at Hartshorne.

After hitting this new stuff on the Water Tower Trail a few times I find I don't have to break all that much. This trail is really dialed.

We put a mini re route in today, which flows seamlessly from entry to exit. @don and crew @knobbyhead do an outstanding job closing off old line, to the point that you don't even know it existed.

We're working at Hartshorne on a weekly basis and always welcome trail help. Post up if you can/want to join in.

Before
20211108_093341.jpg

During
20211108_104827.jpg

After
20211108_122202.jpg

For those that have ridden Hartshorne for many years, the trail actually goes back to it's original route. But we updated it to 2021 trail building style and sustainability. Solid work from all today - we got a lot done!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions