Hartshorne Trail maintenance info

don

It was really nice to get some work done on that GT connector section. I'm still blown away with the amount of work done on Monday. Even with the humid conditions every one busted ass. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling it!

I've ridden that section for decades and always felt it needed some fine touches. Back in the 90's it was fine for the style of riding and traffic but the last 5 year it has really gotten wider and more choppy. I actually had a flash back to working on it with Mike Flattley at least 10 years ago when I built up a turn using stones with solid material on top. That was when Hartshorne TM's were every few months and there was no fore thought or planning on what was going to be worked on. With Iggy at the helm it's been a much better setup for us and I feel the park has really had some nice changes made to it. I certainly don't get as frustrated riding there like I did - I'm actually starting to enjoy it haha.

Later Monday I got back and rode the section we worked on a half dozen times up and down. I only had 30 minutes and wanted to get a feel for what we did and have some intel for fixes and work further down that line. The upper part feels a lot more organic and it makes the experience way better having the tread width tighten up and the route of the line massaged a little.

Can't wait to do some stone work further down the line!

Couple of pics:

Tool tree with Larry and Iggy (2nd shift work horses!)
Test run pic - this grade reversal is very slight but a quick pull back on the bars makes for a fun manual over it.

Attachments

• IMG_5619.jpeg
    IMG_5619.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5638.jpeg
    IMG_5638.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 116

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
It was really nice to get some work done on that GT connector section. I'm still blown away with the amount of work done on Monday. Even with the humid conditions every one busted ass. I woke up Tuesday morning feeling it!

I've ridden that section for decades and always felt it needed some fine touches. Back in the 90's it was fine for the style of riding and traffic but the last 5 year it has really gotten wider and more choppy. I actually had a flash back to working on it with Mike Flattley at least 10 years ago when I built up a turn using stones with solid material on top. That was when Hartshorne TM's were every few months and there was no fore thought or planning on what was going to be worked on. With Iggy at the helm it's been a much better setup for us and I feel the park has really had some nice changes made to it. I certainly don't get as frustrated riding there like I did - I'm actually starting to enjoy it haha.

Later Monday I got back and rode the section we worked on a half dozen times up and down. I only had 30 minutes and wanted to get a feel for what we did and have some intel for fixes and work further down that line. The upper part feels a lot more organic and it makes the experience way better having the tread width tighten up and the route of the line massaged a little.

Can't wait to do some stone work further down the line!

Couple of pics:

Tool tree with Larry and Iggy (2nd shift work horses!)
Test run pic - this grade reversal is very slight but a quick pull back on the bars makes for a fun manual over it.
I agree with Don. The section you guys worked was huge! I rode it yesterday and it was really nice both ways. And when it gets packed down it will be even better.

And the old sections were closed really good.

I can't wait to update other sections of the park.

don

I agree with Don. The section you guys worked was huge! I rode it yesterday and it was really nice both ways. And when it gets packed down it will be even better.

And the old sections were closed really good.

I can't wait to update other sections of the park.
Thanks Knobby - we missed you on Monday!

I think there are 2-3 more TM's needed on the GT Connector so hopefully you get to add your touch to it in the coming weeks. (Iggy save the rock section for me ;D )

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saturday we cleaned up the Mudhole at the start of Claypit.

Monday we continued on fixing the washed out Connector to Grand Tour/Rocky Point. We are 2/3s done with this, come out on 6/6 9am -12pm to help us finish it.

Saturday at Claypit.
20220521_120356.jpg

20220521_120335.jpg

20220521_115622.jpg

Monday Connector Repair
20220523_152634.jpg
20220523_121401.jpg

don

Nicely done on Claypit. I'll have to swing by and see it in person. It was such a mess before.

Sorry I missed yesterday. I was able to get some runs on it last night and wow what a difference! The crew got a lot done! That trail went from feeling blown out and fall line on the brakes to being way more purposeful and just a brake pull here and there. The climb up is way better too.

pygmypony

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This has been on my list since day 1.

The start of Rocky Point, near parking lot.

DONE.

We'll be working on trails again Monday 9-12pm, meeting at Rocky Point lot. Also, if your company wants a volunteer day project, hit me up.

20220602_132316.jpg

20220602_132229.jpg
20220602_120703.jpg

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We continued work on the Grand Tour/Rocky Point connector this morning, getting the lower section done.

Trail building is hard work, so you want to make sure you nail the line. @don came in with the save today.

You never know if you got it right until you ride it. This is right, go ride it. 😉

We dig every Monday if you can join us, 9am-12pm. We always welcome volunteers.

Rolling grade dip.
20220613_151117.jpg

The crew; MB, Larry, Mike, Steve, Gary, Don, Brian, Harry.
20220613_122046.jpg

don

IMG_5823.PNG

IMG_5796.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg

Humid one today but we are getting that GT connector dialed in!

First pic is a screen shot of a vid of some mtn biker enjoying the new grade reversal yelling something about it being smooth and flowy and needed minimal braking :shrug:

2nd shot it that same massive grade reversal that the team absolutely crushed building this morning! I came in later and helped with some fine tuning but wow they moved a lot of material!

3rd is Larry and me putting in some OT further up on the trail this afternoon. The barrow shows how much of a dip there is but it's pretty low angle so should work well both ways. And shed a ton of water off the trail.

I rode this section a few times last Monday after getting home from Vermont with a couple of rides up there. I wouldn't say the new work is the same as the green mtn state stuff I rode but it definitely shares a lot of "styling cues". VT has some of the best riding imo so it's nice to have very similar trail nearby in NJ.

Last edited:

don

IMG_5969.jpeg

Quick one mid TM today. A few of us worked on continuing the fixes on GT Connector. This section has been more of a Jeep trail than singletrack for a long time so it was good to do some reroutes that will match the feel of the lower section a lot better. Moved a lot of stone around - thank goodness for Larry!

Didn't get any pics from the end as we got absolutely soaked from the rains that came in but Iggy might have grabbed some. There is still a lot to do but we made some great headway with just 3 of us!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll add to what Don said.

We began work on the upper connector (double climb) to Grand Tour/Rocky Point. When I see a trail that is 18' wide, red flags go off in my head. Trails don't start out 18' wide, they expand as a result of erosion. As the trail becomes eroded and washed out, trail users move over to avoid the washed out/roots/rock in search of a better line. Eventually that line becomes eroded and the trail moves again. Over the years a trail that started out being 3' wide looks like a washed fire road.

The washed out fire road-looking trail is a good example of what we would call Unsustainable Trail, it washes away more and more every year with rains and use.

Its critical on steep slopes that a trail is designed properly to shed water to reduce erosion forces, especially at a place like Hartshorne which has a fairly sandy soil. Grade reversals are crucial to keep water from building up volume which will destroy a trail. Below is a simple illustration of a grade reversal. Basically at some point that trail has to go uphill, even if briefly, to break up the flow of water.

1656443538170.png

The twists and turns we are adding to the trail, not only ride better but aid in the sustainability of the trail. The new trail will be 3-4'wide and the old line will be shut down so that the area can restore itself. There are those who may feel we are ruining what was once a technical trail. I'll say that there was never a good line on the trail, that's why its 18' wide. In any case, we are trail stewards, looking to build and maintain sustainable trails.

Come join us, we dig every Monday from 9am-12pm meeting at Rocky Point lot. Reach out to me if you have questions.

Before Pic
before looking up double climb.jpg

After Pic

After top looking up.jpg

Before Pic
Before top looking down.jpg

After Pic
After top down.jpg

Don, harvesting stone.

Don, harvesting stone for top.jpg

don

Larry, Angel and I moved a lot of good sized stones on the top of the connector yesterday while Chris, Knobby and Nick were fine tuning where things merge by the road.

I really like doing stone work for a number of reasons but damn it's tough without a machine (especially bringing rock uphill). A "hell yeah" to Larry who at 60 works like two 30 year olds!

It will take some traffic and weather to pack and settle things in but after a while some nice looking stone should be exposed. My hope was to add some flavor/interest to the line but also drain and slow down the water before it start blowing up that sandy material up top.

As always, MCPS is always looking for a hand - come on out!

IMG_6101.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_6103.JPEG
    IMG_6103.JPEG
    196.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6104.JPEG
    IMG_6104.JPEG
    200.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6105.JPEG
    IMG_6105.JPEG
    181.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6106.JPEG
    IMG_6106.JPEG
    173.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6107.JPEG
    IMG_6107.JPEG
    198.3 KB · Views: 70

CommandoStyle

I have ridden the revised Grand Tour Connector (upper and lower) numerous times in both directions and I think the trails team did an awesome job! Same goes for the new trail to the lighthouse and last year's updates to the water tower section. Thank you, thank you , thank you

Karate Monkey

Larry, Angel and I moved a lot of good sized stones on the top of the connector yesterday while Chris, Knobby and Nick were fine tuning where things merge by the road.

I really like doing stone work for a number of reasons but damn it's tough without a machine (especially bringing rock uphill). A "hell yeah" to Larry who at 60 works like two 30 year olds!

It will take some traffic and weather to pack and settle things in but after a while some nice looking stone should be exposed. My hope was to add some flavor/interest to the line but also drain and slow down the water before it start blowing up that sandy material up top.

As always, MCPS is always looking for a hand - come on out!

View attachment 189691

Someone's gotta get this guy in touch with the NNJ/NY JORBA people. They could ditch the come-alongs in Sterling and just use him 💪💪

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions