Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

I was at the trail maintenance last sat. Tracy stated the rangers are now giving out tickets for unleshed dogs.

How are they patrolling this? Almost every hiker I see with an off leash dog actually has a leash. They just don't use it on the trails. I regularly see hikers leashing dogs back up 50 yards from the trail head on their way out. If the rangers are just hanging out in the lots they won't catch too many hikers with off leash dogs.

How are they patrolling this? Almost every hiker I see with an off leash dog actually has a leash. They just don't use it on the trails. I regularly see hikers leashing dogs back up 50 yards from the trail head on their way out. If the rangers are just hanging out in the lots they won't catch too many hikers with off leash dogs.
Idk, i could ask Tracy

I guess im bad. Rode yesterday. 75% of the park was great. The trails with heavy leaf coverage were holding the water. 20% damp and 5% muddy in the in normal spots.

I'm sure this afternoon will be fine.

Rode both Huber & Harts this afternoon. Best conditions I've ever experienced riding there. Tacky is not a word that I thought I would ever use to describe conditions there but that's what they were today. And the sandy areas were pretty well tamped down. A+

Rode both Huber & Harts this afternoon. Best conditions I've ever experienced riding there. Tacky is not a word that I thought I would ever use to describe conditions there but that's what they were today. And the sandy areas were pretty well tamped down. A+

Agreed. Finally got to take my new bike out and temp was reasonable and trails looked better than i had seen in a long time. Super fun. Get out there before this junk weather coming up. Cuesta and Grand Tour were tons of fun.....and no unleashed dogs.

You’re too generous :) I only had time for Huber today, and would grade it as a B+. There were still a few lingering soft spots, but mostly good. It would likely have earned the A grade in another day or two, but rain is on its way.

I think all the unleashed dogs were over at Huber today. I encountered an unusually high number of hikers for Huber, even considering that it’s the weekend.

Last edited:
You’re too generous :) I only had time for Huber today, and would grade it as a B+. There were still a few lingering soft spots, but mostly good.
Not sure what time you rode but there really wasn't anything soft (not even close to muddy) on anything I rode today.

.....and no unleashed dogs.

Now that's another story. I probably came across 4-5 dogs (none were leashed and in 3 instances the owners weren't within 30 ft). And for the first time, one decided to chase me nipping at my heels and not a peep from the owner. (I swear I think most people hiking hate us riding there). So much for the signs!

Rode all of Huber in the late afternoon. There were a few spots where the trail passes right next trees near the loggy end of Many Log Run. Those have become problem spots that typically hold moisture when it has recently been wet (and can get churned up by the horses.) Folks have been detouring around the other side of the trees, which is dry, but that’s not the original trail. So, almost there, but falling short of what I’d consider perfect. It doesn’t really matter now anyway - it looks like we’re getting a soaking rain starting overnight tonight and not ending until Wednesday morning, so that’s going to put a damper on riding for at least the beginning of the week. And then there’s showers forecast for Friday afternoon into Saturday :(

As for the hikers, yeah, sometimes I’ve gotten the evil eye even though I always try to be pleasant (saying “hi” or waving and “thanks” when passing by.) On the other hand, some can be really nice - I ride there often enough that I cross paths with some of the regular hikers/joggers, and for the most part, they’re rather friendly and courteous.

Last edited:
Didn’t ride all of Huber so maybe I missed some of the soft spots. ;) Coming back it would have been hard to tell since it was past dusk.
As for the hikers, yeah, sometimes I’ve gotten the evil eye even though I always try to be pleasant (saying “hi” or waving and “thanks” when passing by.) On the other hand, some can be really nice - I ride there often enough that I cross paths with some of the regular hikers/joggers, and for the most part, they’re rather friendly and courteous.

I generally agree. I always say “hi” and “thanks” as well to other trail users and the vast majority are friendly and reciprocate but not this guy today. But whatever... too nice of a day to ride to let that bother me. Hadn’t even thought about it until @Torn891 mentioned the dogs.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions