Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

TimBay

Did anyone get out there today? I'm riding in the morning and wondering what trees will be in the way.

SmooveP

I rode this afternoon. Zero mud, but lots of leaves and a few new trees down on Laurel Ridge. Lots of small branches and sticks, so be careful not to poke yer eye out.

02camaro

i cut some some small trees laying over the trails mostly on the huber side, but alot of sticks and other debris all over. several large trees down on harts side, one on huber but nothing thats going to take your head off, youll have plenty of time to slow down. as mentioned lots of leaves but no mud. it was alot of fun today.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I did a shorter ride today. Went up from buttermilk via fireroad and then did watertower climb and descended gran tour. Lots of leaves, a few sticks now trees down. I went towards double climb and up that to fireroad. Road the fireroad and then did Laurel Ridge back to huber connector. There was a large bush/tree down at the bottom of the rooty climb in the sandy spot. It’s passable but watch if imdescending there. I just cut through huber via the clearing and then to Bowne Rd and it was all clear.
7BFC8662-62B1-478B-92BB-F163C77D2A9F.jpeg
AA9111C1-0E3F-4569-876E-C9F82F2D8480.jpeg
9E569246-7702-44B1-9C2C-18563CA51A27.jpeg

CommandoStyle

80B285F0-196A-4178-854D-CEAD22FBF2D3.jpeg

I got out this morning, there is a large tree down blocking the trail near the area shaded in red. Caution if you are taking the downhill direction.

Karate Monkey

Just an FYI for anyone riding in the next couple of days, the tree mentioned above is still down. It is a doozy to get passed.

There is another one down that @Dave Taylor mentioned, counter-clockwise from the lot, at the bottom of the first downhill section. It actually isn't in a terrible spot, but if you come into the corner fast, you might very well hit it.

Tons of leaves down, particularly on the fire road, including the stepped climb. Everywhere else, they are manageable, but the steps are pretty deep/loose. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of foot traffic doesn't go that way.

TimBay

The week day, mid morning/day rides, almost every dog is off leash. The owners give no fucks either.
The problem is, it's extremely difficult to enforce. It's not like rangers are patrolling the trails. Do you stop to let them pass (technically thats a rule too)...maybe say something about the potential dangers and rules for dogs? I dunno. That's a tough one to fix. Most people have them leashed until they get out on the trail, so rangers won't see them.

TimBay

This seems like it should be a relatively easy thing to fix.

$0.02
Yeah, but you also have to be careful what you wish for. Think of all the people that ride rogue trails. Not saying you do, but that reflects poorly on all mtbers. I also don't think they have the bandwidth to patrol and I don't see them adding it to the budget. Maybe complain to the parks system and ask for more/better signage? It's tough. I feel like some owners/dogs are very well trained and I don't see any issue in those instances. Personally, I get more annoyed with people using ear buds where you have to basically yell to get them to move over. I'm not trying to be a dick, just saying its one of those things that probably won't get fixed, much like shitty bikers blowing by hikers without regard for safety. But feel free to report to the park.

Karate Monkey

I feel like some owners/dogs are very well trained and I don't see any issue in those instances.

As someone who has worked extensively with dogs, ie, not just my own, the overwhelming majority are poorly trained and unpredictable (other than you can see that they are trouble).

I've seen TWO dogs there in 4 years that I would say were well trained, and only one of those was walking right behind the owner. When he stepped off the trail, the dog did, too. The other ranged a bit further out, but sat/stayed when commanded.

In contrast, I've had two dogs in the last two weekends charge at me. It doesn't matter if they are being aggressive or playful, a 40 pound dog hitting you sideways on a bike is not going to end well for you.

Does that make me anti-dog? No. Leash them, or don't bring them. A ranger sitting in the lot, politely reminding people with dogs that they must remain on leash would do wonders. Similarly (?), Posting that there is a fine associated with cutting rogue trails or riding off trail would make people at least think twice.

TimBay

As someone who has worked extensively with dogs, ie, not just my own, the overwhelming majority are poorly trained and unpredictable (other than you can see that they are trouble).

I've seen TWO dogs there in 4 years that I would say were well trained, and only one of those was walking right behind the owner. When he stepped off the trail, the dog did, too. The other ranged a bit further out, but sat/stayed when commanded.

In contrast, I've had two dogs in the last two weekends charge at me. It doesn't matter if they are being aggressive or playful, a 40 pound dog hitting you sideways on a bike is not going to end well for you.

Does that make me anti-dog? No. Leash them, or don't bring them. A ranger sitting in the lot, politely reminding people with dogs that they must remain on leash would do wonders. Similarly (?), Posting that there is a fine associated with cutting rogue trails or riding off trail would make people at least think twice.
Yeah, I hear ya. I worry about hitting them and am more worried about injuring the dog than myself. Maybe write to the park and make some suggestions? Maybe something to at least reduce the number.

rustynuts

I usually tell every irresponsible dog owner they must leash their dogs. I stayed pretty silent on Tuesday due to a gentlemen with two off the leash German shepherds, out right scream at me. I told him politely, leash those fucking beasts. Also can he really control two big dogs? Why are people also so against a muzzles? They can breathe, have to feed or give them a treat, take the muzzle off.
I happen to hate most dogs, not because of the dog but as mentioned above, the owner.
It seems to me the bike also makes dogs a bit skiddish, not all, but some.
I’m not even so worried about us bikers, of course I don’t want my fellow cyclist to be bitten, which has happened to many times over the years, here. I’m more worried about the young kids who hike the woods who are unsuspecting a loose dog.
My next course of action is to stay with the dog owner and call the police and or ride slowly behind them. I’m beyond sick of this shit. A lot of the people I see are locals and I’ve seen em far to often.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How about a Wall of Shame he the board. Let's stop and take pictures of owners and dogs and post them up. We can also send links or photos to proper authorities. Just an idea from a dog lover and owner.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions