Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

Torn891

Welcome! Is 26 and 2.1 your wheel and tire sizes? If you're really new to MTBing, you could also try Huber woods. It's a little easier than Harts and a good place to learn.

thanks TimBay. not new to MTB but took a big time off from when I live in Utah till I move d to Moco. Was an XC rider - Long flowy trails..no rock roots. etc. Loving hartshorne. (cuesta, laurel and Grand tour) need to get over to Huber. Ive got a new bike on my todo list. def. can justify 29 dropper and some more suspension for these trails. my 2008 Giant X2 trace doesnt owe me a penny :)

Torn891

Guys got out at HS today. BC of the high wind there are some major trees down on the trail. almost all were full dismounts to get around/ over. 2 or three on Laurel Ridge, one on Cuesta and a really gnarly one nearing the bottom of grand tour after a pretty sharp corner. Ride with caution if you are going out and be looking forward if you are blasting downhill especially on the bottom of Grand tour- that one almost got me.

SmooveP

Guys got out at HS today. BC of the high wind there are some major trees down on the trail. almost all were full dismounts to get around/ over. 2 or three on Laurel Ridge, one on Cuesta and a really gnarly one nearing the bottom of grand tour after a pretty sharp corner. Ride with caution if you are going out and be looking forward if you are blasting downhill especially on the bottom of Grand tour- that one almost got me.

Bummer! Was out there yesterday before the storm and it was riding pretty well. If you or anyone else can note the locations of the downed trees on a map, we can forward the info to the park people.

Karate Monkey

Park did a good job clearing most of the fall on the trail, except there is one tree, right around Tan Vat Road that is a straight widow-maker. Makes a neat upside down 'U' with a mostly broken trunk and leaning on branches on the other end.

I encountered no less than 4 off-leash dogs, with 2 of those being very poorly trained (ie, running at me, with the owner not able to control them). If the park doesn't start writing people tickets for this crap, it's gonna get worse.

TimBay

Park did a good job clearing most of the fall on the trail, except there is one tree, right around Tan Vat Road that is a straight widow-maker. Makes a neat upside down 'U' with a mostly broken trunk and leaning on branches on the other end.

I encountered no less than 4 off-leash dogs, with 2 of those being very poorly trained (ie, running at me, with the owner not able to control them). If the park doesn't start writing people tickets for this crap, it's gonna get worse.
Yeah, I was happy to see the trees cut down and also experienced the unleashed dogs. I don't care when they're well trained, but when they're not, it's pretty annoying. I also helped some clearly lost hikers with directions. Good times.

AndyJ

hey guys. newbie here. I just joined and getting back into MTB now that Hartshorne is so close. (i live 10 min away) Rode today. Still some real sandy spots (Im a 26 in 2.10 guy) so sketch for me oming in hot to those areas. But otherwise still not slick on the leaves. Hope to see you guys out there.
Welcome! If you see me out there, stop and say hi. I usually try to get over there a few times a week (I'm about 7 miles away - ride over there via the Henry Hudson trail), but it's getting harder with the limited amount of light after work. It's good to see I won't be the only one riding a 26 there :D I refuse to give up my 26 in 3x8 hardtail (usually running 2.1 - 2.25 tires)

I finally cleared the water tower climb today. I'm just that good. :rolleyes: No, I'm not, but it looks like somebody did a bit of work there and smoothed out a few things. It's still in pretty poor shape overall, but somewhat improved.

Yeah, it was good to see the park took care of the trees so quickly. There's a big one at Huber where Many Log Run meets Meadow Ramble near Bowne Road, but it's plainly visible, and folks are likely going to create a detour around it anyway.

20191018_174107.jpg

Is this the one you were referring to on Laurel Ridge? I would not recommend loitering under that.

20191019_175535.jpg

Last edited:

RobW

Welcome! If you see me out there, stop and say hi. I usually try to get over there a few times a week (I'm about 7 miles away - ride over there via the Henry Hudson trail), but it's getting harder with the limited amount of light after work. It's good to see I won't be the only one riding a 26 there :D I refuse to give up my 26 in 3x8 hardtail (usually running 2.1 - 2.25 tires)

I finally cleared the water tower climb today. I'm just that good. :rolleyes: No, I'm not, but it looks like somebody did a bit of work there and smoothed out a few things. It's still in pretty poor shape overall, but somewhat improved.

Yeah, it was good to see the park took care of the trees so quickly. There's a big one at Huber where Many Log Run meets Meadow Ramble near Bowne Road, but it's plainly visible, and folks are likely going to create a detour around it anyway.

View attachment 108540

Is this the one you were referring to on Laurel Ridge? I would not recommend loitering under that.

View attachment 108541
Don’t you worry. Someone will pile logs on the many log run one. The Typical huber trail feature.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Chainsaw guy won't fix that?

More coming tonight! Hey those tm hats on.

Torn891

View attachment 108540

View attachment 108541

Hey Andy wasnt that one. if you enter onto Laurel Via the Claypit creek access and turn right to do Laurel counter clockwise it was maybe 100 yards in. I got to do a brief ride Sunday and it had already been cleared. The big one at the bottom of grand tour had not. Still familiarizing myself with the trails but will now carry a map to try to mark, take pictures and help send in to the rangers i know someone said to do on this site.

Karate Monkey

The trails were great yesterday. Go out and ride.

The rangers are taking care of the widowmaker today or tomorrow.

I thought it was down/chopped up at the end of the day yesterday. The work on the Claypit connector is holding up nicely, but the ever-present mud puddle near the lot is getting wider.

Despite it being almost dusk, in the middle of the week, I still encountered 3 off-leash dogs.

Didn't someone get bit not that long ago? I'd think they'd be more concerned about enforcing the leash law.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I thought it was down/chopped up at the end of the day yesterday. The work on the Claypit connector is holding up nicely, but the ever-present mud puddle near the lot is getting wider.

Despite it being almost dusk, in the middle of the week, I still encountered 3 off-leash dogs.

Didn't someone get bit not that long ago? I'd think they'd be more concerned about enforcing the leash law.
Maybe, I talked to a ranger around 11 am.

AndyJ

The big tree down at the beginning/end of Many Log Run has also been removed.

Only one more week where the parks are open until 7:00 PM (so you can even get a bit of after-dark riding in.) Closing time moves to 5:30 PM :( on Nov 3rd with the end of Daylight Saving Time.

rmap01

Anyone have insight into trail conditions this afternoon? Was in MD and it was torrential at times. But the NOAA map would suggest Harts wasn’t hit too hard.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions