Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

smw

Check the radar before you go out. We're in evening thunderstorm season. A cell might form over you with no warning, but they usually blow over, so will show up on radar with some warning.

Keep your weather alerts active, too.
Good looking out, thanks. All clear for today.

Karate Monkey

@smw just food for thought: I rode Hartshorne this evening instead of Allaire (which was closer on my way home) because a storm cell passed through southern Monmouth Co. It doesn't look like it came through up here, though.

smw

@smw just food for thought: I rode Hartshorne this evening instead of Allaire (which was closer on my way home) because a storm cell passed through southern Monmouth Co. It doesn't look like it came through up here, though.

I rode my normal Huber lap and then over to Harts for a loop and back. The weather ended up being perfect up here. I saw a few guys on bikes and the trail crew over in Harts, but trail traffic was really minimal.

Even with the heat, there is a good amount of moisture remaining in the ground. Fast trails and good climbs.

It was my first time seeing the new claypit parking lot. The parks dept. did a great job. The stairs leading down to locust bridge: I don't think these are ada compliant, no wheelchair ramp!

Karate Monkey

Despite the seeming[?] soaking the area got overnight, Hartshorne was in excellent condition, minus two unavoidable puddles on Rocky Point (where the former head-high tree was--and is always holding water; the usual spot where you are overlooking the condos).

Air quality sucks, though.

smw

Fresh dot 5.1 in the guides and new grips so I was itching to get out today. Not a lot of foot traffic with the heat and humidty, and very little dust. Everything is greening in. The poison ivy at Huber is taking nicely this season, I predict a bumper crop this harvest season.

Attachments

• 20210621_182854.jpg
    20210621_182854.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: don

smw

Large tree at head height came down across Laurel Ridge between Butter milk lot and Claypit connector-not too far past the large climb.

There is a similar "head cleaver/remover/taker off-er" on Laurel Ridge just past the trail turnoff for the observation point (heading east.) Just before the short rooty/descent.

I shot Tracy@ Parks a note on this.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Large tree at head height came down across Laurel Ridge between Butter milk lot and Claypit connector-not too far past the large climb.

There is a similar "head cleaver/remover/taker off-er" on Laurel Ridge just past the trail turnoff for the observation point (heading east.) Just before the short rooty/descent.

Also You may tag @pooriggy on these as well, he has a fancy desk job at the Park.

Karate Monkey

Both trees have been removed, from what I can tell. Not 100% sure of your other description, but there is sawdust just near the overlook, so that one is definitely gone.

@pooriggy it seems like the wet spot on Rocky Point (you know, next to the long-time head-high fallen tree) could be fairly easily solved with a drainage knick. I would, but you know, frowned upon to walk into a place with a neon yellow hoe.

On an [un?]related note, they put in grade reversals on the switchback climb in Buttermilk valley...and for whatever reason put one in right on top of the tree with the slabs in the roots. It's irritating ascending, and seems fairly dangerous going down at anything higher than slow walking speed. I'm hoping it was unintentional, but if it was, well...at least we know they did it on purpose.

Ronnie B

Today I started from Rocky Point parking lot at 2pm, rode into Huber and back reaching the Buttermilk lot 90 minutes into my ride and that's where I finally saw my first fellow bikers, saw maybe three hikers the whole day. I love this heat!

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Today I started from Rocky Point parking lot at 2pm, rode into Huber and back reaching the Buttermilk lot 90 minutes into my ride and that's where I finally saw my first fellow bikers, saw maybe three hikers the whole day. I love this heat!
I was out super early in the morning... started at the Nature Center at Huber did Hartshorne proper and Rocky Point counter clockwise. I saw maybe 8 hikers, 2 or 3 bikes and this guy
20210629_084559.jpg

Karate Monkey

On an [un?]related note, they put in grade reversals on the switchback climb in Buttermilk valley...and for whatever reason put one in right on top of the tree with the slabs in the roots. It's irritating ascending, and seems fairly dangerous going down at anything higher than slow walking speed. I'm hoping it was unintentional, but if it was, well...at least we know they did it on purpose.

In case anyone thinks stuff here falls on deaf ears: this was smoothed out (or was the most successful use of a water bar in the history of water bars, after one rain event) recently. Rides great both directions.

The tree draped over the trail just a bit further on at the top of the ridge overlooking the river has dropped lower. You can still get under it with judicious hugging of the handlebars/dropped saddle, though.

Karate Monkey

Despite the cloudburst last night, the not-Rocky-Point section of Hartshorne/Claypit connector were in reasonably good shape this evening. I didn't ride lower Grand Tour or Rocky Point, so I can't comment, other than to say that lower GT was probably soggy, and RP was probably okay except for the first section clockwise.

Watch the skies, and it should be okay to ride in the AM provided it doesn't rain overnight.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions