Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

don

Just did a hike through that area - judging by the amount of sand material at the bottom that hole was pretty big. Nicely done - should work a lot better going forward. I'll try and get there for Tuesday morning - lmk what tools I should bring.

AndyJ

The raspberries at Hartshorne are ripe :)

Big tree down on Laurel Ridge. Not dangerous, but it's a dismount and toss your bike over one.

1626610312092.png

The heat seems to be keeping the weekend crowds down. Encountered only a few other bikers & hikers yesterday afternoon; Rocky Point lot was only half full, if even that.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

The raspberries at Hartshorne are ripe :)

Big tree down on Laurel Ridge. Not dangerous, but it's a dismount and toss your bike over one.

View attachment 162678

The heat seems to be keeping the weekend crowds down. Encountered only a few other bikers & hikers yesterday afternoon; Rocky Point lot was only half full, if even that.

Dis tree is gone 👍

Rest of park is bordering on excellent -- even the turn at the bottom of the bayside downhill on Buttermilk/Laurel is in great shape. Lower GT still has a bit of standing water in puddles, and the tread is starting to get blown out by people going around instead of through.

Karate Monkey

@pooriggy is at it again! More of the drops [read: roots] have been smoothed over somewhat on the water tower section of Grand Tour, and the result is...awesome. Hit it once uphill (no change, just as much cardio needed to woof over everything, minus some nasty wheel-catching moments), and twice downhill. The aforementioned roots at the top have become some nice rollers drains, which can be aired off as before, or pumped for a bit more speed. Much smooth, very wow. Interested to see the rest of the work to address the last big problem area immediately after the rock.

Rest of the park is in good-to-great condition. Go get it 👍

don

Did an out and back hike there yesterday with the dogs (climbed on the way out and descend on the way back). The condition of the new work looks good even though it dried out quickly which isn't good with that sandy material. Tire tracks look like the trail is guiding people nicely and no skids/slide out marks on the new areas which I think is a good sign.

Saw the same guy on a Lenz get 2 runs down it so must be enjoyable to ride!

Bikeworks

How's everyone think it'll look tomorrow after the rain yesterday? Never been here yet so I don't know how well it drains. Thanks!

Karate Monkey

Great day to have @don blow by you on a climb while wheezing. I consoled myself with a lemondrop cookie at the top.

2 tree-related things immediately spring to mind; one at the 'bridge' near the command loop; not technically demanding, nor hard to navigate around, but if you are coming hot into the turn going counter-clockwise after 'jumping' the bridge, you could get into some trouble. The other is down at the bottom of Grand Tour (next to the road of the same name); a low-bridge that is just skirtable thanks to my lack of height and hugging the stem. Still whacked the helmet both ways, though.

Karate Monkey

BTW, @pooriggy I hope the "No MTBs" sign on the battery trail is temporary due to construction. It would be a shame to close off the one, definitive vista in the park because of 5 bros who can't keep it in their pants.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW, @pooriggy I hope the "No MTBs" sign on the battery trail is temporary due to construction. It would be a shame to close off the one, definitive vista in the park because of 5 bros who can't keep it in their pants.
It's too tempting to ride down the fall line at the north and south end once up top. Also the trail is not that big for bikes and hikers.

A loop is going to be put in on top of battery to keep trail users away from eroded fall line. The eroded ends are going to be repaired and signage as well as fencing is going to be installed to direct trail users.

The top of the Battery has been somewhat of a mess for a long time. It's a collaborative effort for the Park system to repair it, different departments have come together to fix this. We'd ask that the public keep off the eroded fall lines and use the designated path once in place.

PXL_20210813_142834959.jpg

Karate Monkey

It's too tempting to ride down the fall line at the north and south end once up top. Also the trail is not that big for bikes and hikers.

A loop is going to be put in on top of battery to keep trail users away from eroded fall line. The eroded ends are going to be repaired and signage as well as fencing is going to be installed to direct trail users.

The top of the Battery has been somewhat of a mess for a long time. It's a collaborative effort for the Park system to repair it, different departments have come together to fix this. We'd ask that the public keep off the eroded fall lines and use the designated path once in place.

View attachment 165217

Don't "like" it, but I understand. I hope it will be revisited in the future; I think that in 7 years of riding there, I've seen other people up top 5 times

don

Great day to have @don blow by you on a climb while wheezing. I consoled myself with a lemondrop cookie at the top.

2 tree-related things immediately spring to mind; one at the 'bridge' near the command loop; not technically demanding, nor hard to navigate around, but if you are coming hot into the turn going counter-clockwise after 'jumping' the bridge, you could get into some trouble. The other is down at the bottom of Grand Tour (next to the road of the same name); a low-bridge that is just skirtable thanks to my lack of height and hugging the stem. Still whacked the helmet both ways, though.
haha - that wasn't me. I've been in Vermont :D

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions