Hartshorne/Huber Conditions

mfennell

I hear you guys but I still has a sad when I see one go missing, especially the ones that require a bit of technique.

Way back when there was a log at Hartshorne right at the top of the rooty climb. It was tough enough that my friends didn't believe me when I told them I cleared it. Then there was another a few 100 yards down the trail that would send me over the bars if not done perfectly. I got pretty good at going over the bars.

Good times.

mfennell

Man the hype about Hartshorne is real. Worth the hour 1/2 drive easily, the techy downhill stuff is addictive.

Oh and the trails were mostly dry, a few soft spots here and there but otherwise excellent. Pretty quiet of bikers too, a lot of hikers.

If you hit hartshorne early, say 7am, there are fewer hikers. Ride there for a while, then head over to Huber.

Definitely more hikers than in years past but our interactions with them seem more pleasant on average. YMMV.

(I almost never had actual negative experiences - except for that guy who runs in Tevas. He's a jerk. - just getting a happier "we're all having a great time" vibe these days)

robcleary

If you hit hartshorne early, say 7am, there are fewer hikers. Ride there for a while, then head over to Huber.

Definitely more hikers than in years past but our interactions with them seem more pleasant on average. YMMV.

(I almost never had actual negative experiences - except for that guy who runs in Tevas. He's a jerk. - just getting a happier "we're all having a great time" vibe these days)
Yeah it was more of an observation than an issue. Most of the hikers were pretty friendly and moved out of the way as I rode up.

Karate Monkey

Read this.

I'm not sure why the log overs got removed. Honestly I don't really find myself paying attention to log overs. Kevin stb pointed out in another thread that they don't add much to flow trails, I'm in that same camp. I recall years ago when the rangers cut out the log overs at Chimney Rock people went nuts. CR is way better then it was years ago...even without all the log overs. I know this is not what some of you want to hear, you want things to remain exactly the same. My reply is go with the flow and accept what we do, or don't and maintain a silent protest. 😀

Just observing about the logs, mind. The two parks are challenging enough without "artificial" problems. Trail maintenance (even stuff I don't think is necessary!) > Nothing.

I lived practically on the DR Canal in Lawrenceville for a few years, and nothing was more irritating that hearing, "we don't maintain it, it's a natural trail surface".

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I actually stopped and took this picture on Friday when I was there...
View attachment 157757

Oh and I noticed this clever little cover up...
View attachment 157758

So it seems that Monmouth County has some sort of plan for the parks. They are building a new Claypit parking lot. There has been more regular TM. They cut and removed all of the trail obstacles (many logs), some of which have been “features” for several years or more. There has also been a bunch of work to create grade reversals (in a practical sense) to divert water from the trails. Does anyone know if there is actually a master plan or overall goal for the parks? For years we have complained that MCPS doesn’t GAF but now suddenly there is a lot going on.
There was a Colt's Neck horse club ride event today in Huber

Tim

aka sptimmy43
As far as the logs go I am indifferent. They definitely disrupt flow. I was merely pointing out there is a trail named “Many Log Run” that now has not a single log on it.

I am very glad to see an interest in improving the parks.

robcleary

As far as the logs go I am indifferent. They definitely disrupt flow. I was merely pointing out there is a trail named “Many Log Run” that now has not a single log on it.

I am very glad to see an interest in improving the parks.
New name opportunity: "Many Log None" 😆

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
New name opportunity: "Many Log None" 😆
Thats pretty funny! And true...
moved out of the way as I rode up.
I hope that this happened after you offered them the trail first (specifically when coming upon opposing direction trail users). Recently I have come across a number of hikers/dog walkers (on leash)/etc. that I have yielded to that said I was the "first MTBer to stop" for them, or something to that effect, which kind of sucks. We're bottom of the rung on multi-use trails, Horse > hiker > MTB. I assume you did, and if so Thanks! (or you came from behind and thats the norm). If not, please do moving forward!!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was merely pointing out there is a trail named “Many Log Run” that now has not a single log on it.

See, there is a misconception here. This is just the Lenape version of the full name, which is, "Many Logs Will Run." Turns out it took a long, long time for them to run. But they did. And now they're gone.

Maybe rename it Many Log Ran?

robcleary

Thats pretty funny! And true...

I hope that this happened after you offered them the trail first (specifically when coming upon opposing direction trail users). Recently I have come across a number of hikers/dog walkers (on leash)/etc. that I have yielded to that said I was the "first MTBer to stop" for them, or something to that effect, which kind of sucks. We're bottom of the rung on multi-use trails, Horse > hiker > MTB. I assume you did, and if so Thanks! (or you came from behind and thats the norm). If not, please do moving forward!!
Always slow down, always say thanks if they move. I'm not trying to run anyone down!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
See, there is a misconception here. This is just the Lenape version of the full name, which is, "Many Logs Will Run." Turns out it took a long, long time for them to run. But they did. And now they're gone.

Maybe rename it Many Log Ran?
Hey I'm just glad they named it something other than Valley View...

Karate Monkey

Trail conditions are excellent. No wet spots, though several corners at the bottom of hills are very sandy--use caution.

If you find a silver/orange powertap bottle, enjoy it, cause I can't figure out where it fell out.

Karate Monkey

Good conditions prior to the rain today, though the corner on Rocky Point (next to the root clutch on the side of the trail, plus the one over-achiever that crosses the trail for ~6 feet) is wet again. There is a significant tree down just past the bridge on Rocky Point clockwise. A second tree is down almost exactly due east of the end of Tan Vat Road. It's a wimpy 2-3" tree, but very leafy.

The Claypit lot is not only open, but I have to gush a little bit:

My initial reaction was, "why bother, the lot is fine. Mow a field and setup some more parking." I will eat those words with a serving of humble pie; even with the removal of a few trees, the landscaping opened up the parcel of land significantly, including a gravel path that bisects the park in addition to the perimeter trail. The gravel road has proper reinforcements in it, and should resist potholing/washing out, and the parking situation is beautiful (not really any more than the original lot, but extraordinarily laid out). The washed out gulley leading to the bridge on Locust Avenue was replaced with boxed steps ~2.5 feet long. My stair riding abilities are atrophied since the time that I lived in Princeton, but I've improved vastly over the last two rides, clearing 3/4 of the steps going up. I suppose I could grind up the side, but why not?

smw

This thread has been silent for a while so I'll take that to mean everyone is busy pedaling :)

If anyone wants to pop out for a ride this afternoon. I'll be at the Huber lot at 5p. Will aim for loop through Huber and over to Harts and back.

Karate Monkey

This thread has been silent for a while so I'll take that to mean everyone is busy pedaling :)

If anyone wants to pop out for a ride this afternoon. I'll be at the Huber lot at 5p. Will aim for loop through Huber and over to Harts and back.
Check the radar before you go out. We're in evening thunderstorm season. A cell might form over you with no warning, but they usually blow over, so will show up on radar with some warning.

Keep your weather alerts active, too.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions