Going Long and Hard.

Power on MTB. I don't think it means anything. It may be me but I honestly can't see how it could help, you really have no choice of when you need to go hard or not. I feel it will read either 600 watts or 100 watts. And your average will be like 200 watts. Maybe you've found otherwise because you actually have one?

It's useful, like anything giving feedback is useful. There is some truth in what you say, that there are highs you can't avoid, and that between you go like 100. Sometimes you look down and see 58. It's also very useful that sometimes you look down and see 58 while your HR is 162. It's also confusing at times. The correlations are strange. It's obvious when you power over something and burn a match your HR spikes and your power lags. But there are some non-obvious correlations that don't always make sense.

I think it will help in the first 15 minutes. My guess is that everyone burns half their match book in the first 15 minutes. At a place like Stewart, or like 5 of the H2H courses, it's probably useful in pacing. At a place like Jungle I doubt it helps much.

Also, 1 thing I didn't realize is how often you go into L5/6. It's a lot, like A LOT. There's no wonder than MTB racers step into the crit scene and do very well. The demands are very similar, actually more so. And I don't even have any race data yet. It will be interesting to see the race data between MTB, road, and cx this year. They're very different disciplines but they all demand...well, they demand you to have a solid high end.

Do intervals son!

Do intervals son!

Soon enough. Right now I'm looking forward to a nice easy recovery week :D

Monday.

Roubaix loop. And Hacklebarney. This is the 55-mile version of my dirt road loop. Legs were baller-status for like the first 35 miles. I hit each of the dirt sections balls deep, my Resolute is absolutely flawless when it comes to this kinda stuff.

Jean-Louis and Joe Mundi were with me once again. Today Jean-Louis was the weak link, he's never been in dirt before. He also doesn't go uphill too fast. This loop has a lot of both of those things. Actually, I don't think there's any flat sections at all, it's either up or down.

425588_3421258412182_1291834825_3551620_1873520696_n.jpg

We stopped and had a nice lunch at the Califon General Store. Then headed out into the gorge. Or so we thought.

423641_3423664472332_1291834825_3552536_788379157_n.jpg

There really isn't a gorge anymore, the road is gone in sections from the flood. So we hiked. I found out the one thing Jean-Louis dislikes more than dirt and hills is hiking in rocks with road shoes. Which was followed by a big hill, and then some dirt, I thought he was gonna kill me :eek:

He didn't kill me though. In fact he very much enjoyed our adventure so all was good in the world. This loop hurt me pretty good after yesterday's century. I tried to drown my sorrows in a nice tub of Sonic tater tots, it helped, temporarily.

I need to cover 17 miles in the next 2 days in order to hit goal #4. I'm about 2 weeks away from goal #5 as well. For now I'm gonna enjoy my rest week and then hit it hard in prep for MurderKill. I sorta feel like I'm on the right track, but who knows until I hit the intensity stuff. We all know how good I am at doing anything under 5-minutes. Not that I need anything under 5-minutes for MurderKill, but you know what I mean.

-Jim.

This is my recovery week so I may not hit this loop again until next Monday. That will also begin the intensity portion of my off-season so I'm not sure what the pace will be. I may want to do it alone just to get a baseline and go from there. I know last year even though I spent a ton of time out on that loop in prep for MurderKill, none of it was hard enough because I was always in a group.

-Jim.

That may have come out wrong. Either way, you know what I mean. It's time to put the past few hundred hours of base miles to the test :getsome:

Tuesday.

Yeah. Not a day to put anything to the test, except maybe my patience!! I think I rode into work today in my granny gear, 12.7mph average son. Today was a death march recovery day. Part of me felt good because it means I earned my rest week :eek:

http://app.strava.com/activities/4622281

Somehow I got a KOM today? WTF? Against who? Oh wait, it was from the 6th. Weird it popped in today's file though. I guess Strava has a bug or two. Whatever. I got a KOM!!

Stupid busy at the shop today, which I enjoy because it makes the day go by fast. Even better, it doesn't give me much time to snack on anything because I'm bored, bonus!! Those cool bags of steamed veggies are on sale again at Shop Rite down the street, 3 bags for $5. I loaded up!! Those and a few boxes of naked cutlets have me set for lunch for the week :D

On my ride home I thought of all kinds of cool things to write about today, at this point though I've sort of run out of steam. I hit goal #4 today and am over 1,000 miles for Feb. I'll commute tomorrow nice and easy so it'll end up at like 1,025. Then I work in goal number 5 while I'm prepping for the season. 600 miles to hit before the base contest ends. Back out the Tim Johnson back-to-back centuries and that's only 400 miles left, should be a done deal.

That's all I got.

-Jim.

Is that the Harlequin Golf I took a picture of during the Longest Day ride? That one was on Rt 206 I think.

KOM is King of the Mountain as Lou said. Albeit on Strava it has little to do with climbing, most of them are just flat sections of road somewhere. The one I got yesterday for example went from the shop to the light up the street near Shop Rite. Why anyone would make that a section I have no idea, but that's sorta what it's like.

Somehow I have the KOM for the long climb in Round Valley also, but that's just because Maurice doesn't use Strava :D

-Jim.

pugsley

Hey Jim, was thinking about the fatbike and thought you'd like this some locals did monster cross down in Virginia last weekend and the guy who won the single speed category did it on a pugsley. 50 miles and oh yea he is like 53.

Back
Top Bottom